Set Extenders

Learn, share, ADVANCE. Bodybuilding, Sports & Endurance Training Tips & Discussion
RobRegish

Set Extenders

Post by RobRegish »

One very effective way of amplifying gains in the Feast Phase is what I call set extenders.

Typically, these are used when using a lower volume, HIT style program of 1 work set for an all out maximal effort for 4-6 reps. Let's take the seated cable row as an example.

At the conclusion of rep #6, you can no longer complete a full rep in good form. However, this doesn't mean the muscle has been completely exhausted. A better approach may be to continue to row the weight for the first third of the movement, gutting out another 8-10 reps until failing in that, more limited range of motion.

Using this method gets around one of the great conundrums of Heavy Duty/High Intensity type training: your size gains never seem to keep pace with your strength gains. This is primarily a function of the low time under tension experienced when lifting in the 4-6 rep range. Doing so maximally taxes your nervous system, but a time under tension of just 20 seconds yields far less muscle growth than one lasting 40 - 60 seconds.

Bonus: If using this with a stretch position movement like the seated cable row, you maximally stimulate the PI3K pathway I discuss in The Blueprint.
askmass
Site Admin

Post by askmass »

There is a LOT positive to be said for H.I.T. styled movements when not overused, IMO.

We could get into a discussion of "Super Slow" off of this, also...
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

For sure.

I recall doing super slow some years back. Painful but productive...
askmass
Site Admin

Post by askmass »

I've always found SuperSlow more humbling than "painful", but I know what you are saying.

By the same measure, it's something I can put someone of advanced age on - or someone 30-40'ish who has never done free weights - and be assured they will see injury free results fairly quickly.

A lot of "old" vets come around to it, also, after they have abused their joints for too long.