Bill Starr's 5x5 with calculator!

Learn, share, ADVANCE. Bodybuilding, Sports & Endurance Training Tips & Discussion
RobRegish

Bill Starr's 5x5 with calculator!

Post by RobRegish »

Here's an interesting program for your feast. It's the classis 5x5 loading pattern, but with the key element most seem to forget built in for you: PROGRESSION!

https://www.joeskopec.com/five.html

I'd deliberately set the default to 100lbs such that you can see what workouts have you working in the 90th percentile. Key point: You must NOT work in the 90th percentile for more than 3 weeks. If you do, the nervous system will get weaker, not stronger. Therefore, care should be taken to observe that rule.

As always, work out as often (frequency) as you body will allow you to. If all my ducks are in a row (diet, rest, supps etc.) I can perform workouts on an every other day schedule, getting this done with room to spare in the Feast:
Persch889

Post by Persch889 »

I think I may give this workout a go for my next COMPLETE run through of The BP
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Depends on your goals.

Nice spreadsheet though, isn't it?
Persch889

Post by Persch889 »

RobRegish wrote:Depends on your goals.

Indeed it is. Very simple. Would you say this is more geared toward strength rather than size gains?
zeebodybuilder

Post by zeebodybuilder »

Persch889 wrote:
RobRegish wrote:Depends on your goals.

Indeed it is. Very simple. Would you say this is more geared toward strength rather than size gains?
Would you say this is more geared toward strength rather than size gains?
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

5 x 5 will give you a nice mix of both. I mean, look at where the last workout has you relative to your starting point.

You're going to be a LOT stronger and you'd HAVE to have a lot more muscle to be moving that much more weight. Fantastic stuff 5 x 5, which is part of the reason I use it in The Blueprint..
haiz69

Post by haiz69 »

Would this just be run instead of the 2 phases in the original outline? (the working up to a one rep max over 5 workouts, as well as the German Loading)?
scump

Post by scump »

i know a few people who have run 5x5 for decent periods of time (6 months +) gained insane strength but next to no noticeable size, considering the strength they gained though, still worth it!
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

You know Haiz I don't know. It's a little long and I struggle just where to fit it in. I'm thinking about it, but I need more feedback from guys who have actually run it (I haven't).

THEN, I'll be able to best position it for you. I will say this:

16 weeks is a LONG time to spend outside of BP. These gains over 16 weeks are nice but they don't come close to something like The Blueprint Periodic.

To see for yourself, check out Prototyp3's results over just 4 months in his thread "Comprehensive Review of The Blueprint Periodic" in the Product Reviews section of body building dot com.

Posted circa September, 2010
cogrick2

Post by cogrick2 »

Using this calculator thanks to Rob (hint hint, Rob can explain if he likes) and week 4, I'm already stronger. I love the simplicity. Thanks Coach!
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

cogrick2 wrote:Using this calculator thanks to Rob (hint hint, Rob can explain if he likes) and week 4, I'm already stronger. I love the simplicity. Thanks Coach!
My pleasure brother. Wish more would avail themselves to it...
beefcake66

Post by beefcake66 »

Will very likely be following 5x5 along with BP Meteoric-ish template.
Been planning to put some friends on the 5x5 as well.... thanks for the bump
cogrick2

Post by cogrick2 »

beefcake66 wrote:Will very likely be following 5x5 along with BP Meteoric-ish template.
Been planning to put some friends on the 5x5 as well.... thanks for the bump
Yeah man, I've never tried a weekly scheme like this one and it's remarkable. I hit my marks again today, week 5 deadlifting 5x285 on the last set. Not bad for a 5 foot 6 160lb guy. I started out thinking that I was in trouble (first set was like 5x215). Quite nervous before the fourth and fifth set. Hit every one. What's funny is that Week 2 the last set was 265x5 and that felt as intnense as 5x285 today. I love it.

I have not looked at the Blueprint in a while. I never ran it fully. Thanks for the tip for how to use this calculator with it. I have no idea what "BP Meteoric" means but I trust it's in there. Rob's comments about this 5x5 calculator delivering significantly less gains is intriguing...
beefcake66

Post by beefcake66 »

Turns out I'm just following the 5x5 routine for this on a Mon-Wed-Fri schedule, so I will finish before 16 weeks. Used the calculator for all my lifts. Going to do my best to stay the course and I'm on a slight caloric deficit as I do this. Going to be posting details in my lazy log