OK, substitute for dips?

Learn, share, ADVANCE. Bodybuilding, Sports & Endurance Training Tips & Discussion
Rob Whisonant

OK, substitute for dips?

Post by Rob Whisonant »

Due to "chronic" shoulder bursitis and tendonitis I can't do dips. They are a recipe for further injury to me.

Would substituting one arm tricep kickbacks in place of dips be an OK substitute?

Or how about using the high cable pulley with a straight bar and do a push down motion with elbows pointed back and tucked in a little. Kind of like a simulated dip? Like you are pushing yourself over a wall. Hope I described that right.

Or anyone have a better suggestion?

Re's
Rob Whisonant
bigpelo

Post by bigpelo »

Dips also work pecs. Wouldn't a good ol' pushup or one of it's variation be a good substitute?
beefcake66

Post by beefcake66 »

Close Grip Bench Press is another option.

They all seem like good ones lol

Cable Pull Down sounds closest to what you're after I think?
Dragon

Post by Dragon »

I know this is over three month old but it's a subject that's near and dear to my heart LOL

In order of effectiveness for me would be:

1. Cable Cross Over Static Holds with MODERATE to LIGHT weight but LONG hold if you have shoulder problems. 1 - 2 minutes

If you don't have shoulder problems then obviously use more weight and less time. You can get an extremely intense "pump" with just 2 or 3 of these

2. Decline Dumbbell Pull Overs. Stop dumbbell at chin during eccentric phase.

3. Decline Bench Press. And I mean a steep decline as recommended by Wade Johnson.

4. Weighted Push ups. I understand this still might hurt so from my experience you really only need the decline pullovers to fill out your chest and you don't need lots of weight either.

Long term: Find exercises to train the rotator cuffs if your doctor or physical therapist has OK'ed it.
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Decline Dumbbell Pull Overs. Stop dumbbell at chin during eccentric phase.

STRONG outside the box thinking brother. I thought I tried everything. I was wrong... :)
Dragon

Post by Dragon »

RobRegish wrote:Decline Dumbbell Pull Overs. Stop dumbbell at chin during eccentric phase.

STRONG outside the box thinking brother. I thought I tried everything. I was wrong... :)
My line of thinking come from YOU Rob. I'm now a personal trainer and I've discovered that I can't train everyone the way I train myself. One client blew his shoulder out bench pressing before he started with me. We were able to build him nice lower AND upper pecs with the decline variation and the decline "auto" regulates the depth so people don't destroy their shoulders. He was literally giddy with excitement to feel a pump in his chest and no shoulder pain. We can't even do push ups with this guy, but the decline works, and they can be used for heavy eccentric also. For the pec minor we do it on an ever so slight incline like you suggested with only 20 lbs but high reps, and for outer pec definition we do the decline with the s-curl bar. All from the Blueprint to be honest. :)
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Glad to hear it man! :)

Do you use the barbell jammer press with your clients?
Dragon

Post by Dragon »

Yes I do and for myself too. Some people are stubborn and refuse to do them! So I'll let them do the overhead stuff until they eventually get shoulder pain.

Women will listen and men usually won't take the jammer press recommendation. I really have no idea why.

The only tweek I've made is I prefer people do them standing up with both feet parallel and facing forward. This way they have to squeeze the glutes, hamstrings and abs. This means less weight, but I've notice a carry over in core strength for other exercises.