Post surgery training question......

Learn, share, ADVANCE. Bodybuilding, Sports & Endurance Training Tips & Discussion
walkerl60

Post surgery training question......

Post by walkerl60 »

Hey Coach I need some advice......

I am three weeks post meniscus knee surgery. My question is, while I'm trying to recover and get full strength back in my left leg, what do I do with the right side? Do I do single leg exercises as normal, or do I need to cut back so the right side doesn't get too unbalanced? I've never had any type of surgery before so I have never been in this situation. I'm guessing my left knee is about another six weeks away from really pushing it.....Thx

LJ
RobRegish

Re: Post surgery training question......

Post by RobRegish »

walkerl60 wrote:Hey Coach I need some advice......

I am three weeks post meniscus knee surgery. My question is, while I'm trying to recover and get full strength back in my left leg, what do I do with the right side? Do I do single leg exercises as normal, or do I need to cut back so the right side doesn't get too unbalanced? I've never had any type of surgery before so I have never been in this situation. I'm guessing my left knee is about another six weeks away from really pushing it.....Thx

LJ
Continue training your right side, just don't push it as much. Most people have an imbalance regardless of surgery, look at it that way... :-)
beefcake66

Post by beefcake66 »

If you can get around without issues with your bad leg... I'd keep training your good side, as best you can. But having a bum leg is very debilitating and ultimately frustrating. If you're ready for it then give'r.

As Rob says, youre going to be imbalanced regardless. You could just do the physio exercises for your bad leg, for your good leg as well. That's what I would suggest, over going to a gym and training one leg heavy and trying not to get the bad leg stuck in the machines.

I'm waiting my 3rd knee surgery currently (1st was ACL reconstruction, 2nd was meniscus repair, 3rd will be ACL reconstruction. All same knee).
walkerl60

Post by walkerl60 »

beefcake66 wrote:If you can get around without issues with your bad leg... I'd keep training your good side, as best you can. But having a bum leg is very debilitating and ultimately frustrating. If you're ready for it then give'r.

As Rob says, youre going to be imbalanced regardless. You could just do the physio exercises for your bad leg, for your good leg as well. That's what I would suggest, over going to a gym and training one leg heavy and trying not to get the bad leg stuck in the machines.

I'm waiting my 3rd knee surgery currently (1st was ACL reconstruction, 2nd was meniscus repair, 3rd will be ACL reconstruction. All same knee).
Yes, frustrating is an understatement....I have had issues with the left side for 20+ yrs and it has held me back in training the lower half properly. Hopefully, having had the surgery, I can actually get to do some squats. My leg training has always been primarily leg press so I could support the left leg. Unfortunately, the right side has always been dominant just out of instinct. Thx for the tips and I look forward to some "gainsville" in my quads!!!

LJ
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

First tip: Get away from the leg press!

Bad, BAD for the lower back. Get into 1 legged bodyweight squats with regular belt. Loop that around chinup bar/other and grasp with opposite hand of the leg you're working. First with full hand, then 4 fingers, 3 etc until the training wheels come off.

Presto!

There's your 1 legged squat (easier holding a DB out in front of you, ironically - (just 10-15lbs does the trick).

Work the Bulgarian Split Squat and step up onto a bench hard too. Will only benefit you.. :)
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

beefcake66 wrote:If you can get around without issues with your bad leg... I'd keep training your good side, as best you can. But having a bum leg is very debilitating and ultimately frustrating. If you're ready for it then give'r.

And she's STILL plugging away! You're an inspiration Beefer... ;)