My first blueprint meteoric run/log!!!!!!!

Learn, share, ADVANCE. Bodybuilding, Sports & Endurance Training Tips & Discussion
NATTYDADDY7

Post by NATTYDADDY7 »

Update:

Feb 6/2016:

Training: NONE!

Diet:

Total calories: 3513.5
Protein: 212.144
Carbs: 508.91
Fats: 67.749

Overall thoughts:

I got good rest over the night and woke up feeling good. Most of my nagging pains were gone and I actually spent the majority of the day just relaxing and watching movies (something I almost never get a chance to do.). This was all done in an effort to make sure I was well rested for the next day. I really want to blow my 1 rep max's out of the water. I am mentally preparing myself and already focussing on the lifts but a part of me is still nervous.

I ate a lot more food than usual today. I think it was because mentally it makes me feel like I will have more energy for tomorrow. I felt full in the later half of the day but not stuffed (something I've avoided doing since I began this program.). Hopefully it translates to more energy for GLP1 #6.
NATTYDADDY7

Post by NATTYDADDY7 »

Update:

Feb 7/2016:

Training:

GLP1 workout #6 for benchpress and deadlifts.
New 1 rep max attempts!!!

So today I was very nervous about the workout. A part of me new I could do it but at the same time I wanted to go above and beyond what my generated 1 rep max's were supposed to be (in the form of more weight or more reps if possible.)

If I am being completely honest I was way more nervous about the 1 rep for the deadlift as I knew that I should be able to do the benchpress since I had felt that kind of weight for many years before, albeit with improper form. (I used to routinely do 225 pounds for 4 to 6 reps every week for the last 2 years but my form was VERY sloppy and not fully locked out at the top with a lot of "bouncing".) I had to "check my ego at the door" before I began this 6 week program in order to establish what my 1 rep max was.

The 1 rep max I was going for with the bench press was 225 pounds today Not a lot, but considering I would be using completely strict benchpress form (no momentum, bar stopping at bottom before exploding up, minimal arch in back, no butt coming off of bench.) and that I weighed a good 60 pounds less I reasoned that it would be okay.

I have struggled ever since I started lifting to do benchpress and it had taken me a long time to even get to this point. Still I really want to see my bench press numbers explode, and hopefully one day it will.

set 1: fine.
set 2: fine.
set 3: fine.
set 4: "fine. (noticed at this point I was doing 1 "reppers/singles" for the remainder of the bench portion. This made each progressive weight feel, dare I say, "Easy".)
set 5: fine, although there was more effort than the rest.

set 6: So here it was. The big one. I mentally prepared myself for the lift, seeing myself get under the bar and hoist it overhead before bringing it down and letting it touch my chest before exploding back up. I also envisioned myself getting a few more reps, possibly 3 or 4. I was hooting for the stars lol. I didn't totally psyche myself up, afraid that it would drain some of the energy I knew I would need later for deadlifts. I would say I was using about 90 to 95% of my energy for the lift.

I got under the bar after some mental preparation and lifted it off the stand. It came down but I could feel myself controlling the weight. Once it hit my chest I exploded up to almost full lockout (didn't want to fully extend.) before bringing it down for another rep.
However, the second rep didn't go as smoothly as the first. I managed to bring it down to my chest and when I brought it up about half way (so close!!!!) it started to stall. I could feel my form breaking and my goal just became getting it back up. I did get it back up and racked the weight but I was aware that on the 2nd rep my lower back/butt came off the bench/pad in order to complete the rep.

I know I should feel happy that I achieved my new 1 rep max but I was actually a bit disappointed that I couldn't do a few more reps with the weight :(

On to deadlifts. The exercise that had been knowing away in the back of my mind for the last 6 weeks.

I had purchased some new gloves just for this workout as my old ones were getting pretty beat up and worn down. These new gloves had a wrist strap that I could wrap around my wrist/arms that I thought would help tighten my grip. JUst to clarify these ARE NOT WRIST STRAPS, THEY ARE JUST GLOVES. I haven't used wrist straps for deadlifts in almost 5 years even though I know they can add substantial increases in weight to the lift.

set 1: Fine.
set 2: Fine. (Felt surprisingly easier than prior weeks.)
set 3: Fine.
set 4: Fine. (Once again, the "singles" are much easier to do than reps. I reversed my grip here.)
set 5: Fine

set 6: The BIG ONE!!! so, my new 1 rep max I was going for was calculated to be 441 pounds. I thought what the hell, let me put on 450 since it was only 9 pounds more. I mentally prepared myself and tightened my gloves. This time I was going to go all out and hold nothing back as this was the moment I had been waiting for for almost 6 weeks.

Once I got into that "zone" I grabbed the bar and lifted with all my might. But... something happened.
I got to about 50 to 75% lockout when I noticed the bar slipping out of my hand, eventually fall to the floor. It was a FAILED ATTEMPT!!! :cry:

I was pissed!!! Almost immediately I knew what it was too, or at least I think. The new gloves that I was using had more padding around the palm of the hand than I was used to, in effect making my grip around the bar not as tight as it usually was. DAMN IT!!!

Needless to say I was as pissed off as a kicked hornets nest. I started to doubt whether it really was the gloves or my own strength, or lack thereof. :x

Whatever the case, I new I wouldn't be satisfied if I AT LEAST didn't get my new calculated 1 rep max. I took off 10 pounds (bringing it to 440/441 with collars.) and mentally started psyching myself up for another attempt, although this time with a slightly lower weight.

I ditched my new gloves, replacing them with my old beaten up set, hoping that would make a difference. I tried in vain to psyche myself up to the level I was at before when I attempted the 450 but it was no good. I couldn't seem to get that same level of adrenaline in my body as before. This didn't really come as a surprise to me as I have done this in the past and once it's used up its almost impossible to "get it back" again.

Being the stubborn fool I am I still tried, doing my best to naturally pump up my own adrenaline as I focused intensely on the weight in front of me. I knew that I was so close to the 450 and that 10 pounds less in theory would be easier. BUT... at the same time I knew my body wasn't as strong as it was before I attempted the higher weight. :?

After a few minutes of trying my best to once again psyche myself I walked up to the bar and using all the remaining strength and mental fortitude I had left I grabbed hold of the bar and lifted/pulled up.

[/b]SUCCESS!! :P

Thank goodness :wink:

I managed to lift the 440 all the way to complete lockout thus completing the workout and hitting my calculated 1 rep max!

I was somewhat relieved and happy
but at the same time I still felt disappointed that I didn't get the 450. :?

After I finished all that raced through my head was
"Could I have done the 450 if I wasn't using the new gloves? I guess I will never know.

I guess I learned a valuable lesson today... don't attempt a new PR with something different (a new piece of equipment, a new strategy, etc...) it usually doesn't end well.

After I was done I went inside I had my post workout meal.

Diet:

Total calories: 2945
Protein: 235.37
Carbs: 334.13
Fats: 75.59

Overall thoughts: I felt pretty full and fatter (sorry Rob :wink: ) throughout the day. No doubt because of the high amounts of calories I had the day prior. Still it didn't detract from my workout as I had enough energy.

I know I shouldn't feel this way but I was extremely disappointed in myself for not getting the 450. To a lesser extent I was also somewhat disappointed that I only managed 1 rep on my benchpress, even though it was still technically a new PR. I guess I was just hoping that the numbers would have been a little higher considering I am up probably 6 pounds in bodyweight from when I started (Not all of that is muscle obviously.)

[/b]Still... I can't be too upset I guess, as the program worked perfectly to a "T" in that I hit both 1 rep max's on each exercise. I guess the only thing that has me a little bothered is the increased bodyfat levels I have noticed (specifically around my hips/glute area.) but I will wait until the end of next week (the very end of the program.) in which I will take my final measurements and weight.

Just curious. How did other's fair at the end of their 6 week meteoric program? If anyone else can chime in that would be helpful.

Also I feel it is important to once again stress that I DID NOT USE ANY SUPPLEMENTS OTHER THAN A PROTEIN ISOLATE, A FIBER SUPPLEMENT, AND A BASIC MULTIVITAMIN (GNC) FOR THE WHOLE PROGRAM AND INDEFINATELY. I imagine those out there using the supplements outlined in the meteoric (SYNTHAGEN and the others.) would garner better results based upon the feedback I've heard from users.
Coach Rob

Post by Coach Rob »

my new 1 rep max I was going for was calculated to be 441 pounds....

Awe man, I wish you would have scaled up 4lbs instead of 9, you would have nailed it! But excellent try nonetheless. I'll be back after dinner with some more thoughts...

You use the term, "feel" fatter. Beware of "feelings" as they're subjective things. Did you by chance put a tape measure to your waist? If not, don't feel too bad, I should have specified it in the program.

Because it makes ALL the difference in KNOWING objectively, what you gained/lost...

Also, can we get your starting/finishing 1RM's?
NATTYDADDY7

Post by NATTYDADDY7 »

Hey Rob,
the more I think about it the more I actually believe that it was due to the new gloves believe it or not. It felt almost like I had a towel over the bar when I was gripping it. Should have just stuck with what worked before instead of giving a trial run of something completely brand new.
NATTYDADDY7

Post by NATTYDADDY7 »

Hey Rob,
I totally agree with you about subjectivity. I think even in this log you mentioned it before when I complained about "feeling" fatter. I am going to take my measurements this coming friday/saturday and will have an objective calculation as to what grew and what didn't.

If however we are going by the "mirror test" then I would say that I have noticed some size around my waist (most noticeably my love handle area and high glute/lower back.) However I have also noticed a subtle difference in my back and biceps (in a good way.).

My starting 1 rep max's were...
Bench press: 215 for 1 rep.
Deadlift: 420 for 2 (but the second rep wasn't perfect so I just used 420 as my starting 1 rep max.).

My final/New 1 rep max's were...
Bench press: 225 for 1 (the second rep as I described wasn't a perfect rep.)
deadlift: 440 (This however was after I attempted 450 and failed.). Read my training log on Feb 7th/2016 for the details.

My starting bodyweight was 159.4 pounds and I have yet to weigh myself now but the last time I weighed myself which was last week I was 164.2 pounds. Therefore I am probably slightly higher now.

So the program did work for increasing my 1 rep max to it's new 1 rep max. I was just a little upset with myself as I deep down honestly thought that I could have put up more weight (or more reps.) feeling the way I did leading up to it.
NATTYDADDY7

Post by NATTYDADDY7 »

Update:

Feb 8/2016:

Diet:

Total calories: 2814
Protein: 243.62
Carbs: 58.12
Fats: 181.22

Overall thoughts:
Got [/b]terrible sleep over the night. Was waking up constantly and there was even a point where I stayed awake for what felt like an hour before nodding off back to sleep. Needless to say I felt a bit tired during the day but surprisingly not as bad as I would have expected.

Didn't feel too sore anywhere (which did surprise me considering the GLP1 #6 workout.) but I did notice some dull tightness (I guess it would be classified as soreness.) in my upper right back area.

As the night continued on I felt more of a lack of energy thanks in part to the sleep deprivation. Felt very demotivated. Glad I didn't have to workout.
Coach Rob

Post by Coach Rob »

So much is predicated on sleep, people don't understand..

When your sleep/wake cycle is disturbed, EVERYTHING suffers. I'm going through the same right now, trying to get it back under control. When I don't sleep, I feel like dirt. Feel run down, clammy and if that goes on long enough - get disoriented.

Look, none of us want to take meds. But if you ever reach a point where you just can't sleep, some temporary help may be warranted. I'd sure try GammaGH and Melatonin etc first though, before resorting to that.

Everyone comes to a point where they're so chronically exhausted, the body HAS to sleep. They key being, try not to let it get to that point...

Regular exercise schedule is key, which I'll be starting back on today. Since I finally slept some last night!
NATTYDADDY7

Post by NATTYDADDY7 »

You're absolutely right Rob. Sleep is EVERYTHING. Unfortunately it is not something I can rely on all the time. This past week hasn't been the greatest and it looks like the coming one will be worse due to work related events.

Part of the reason I am so exhausted too is because I spend 12 to 14 hours a day taking care of my 15 month year old daughter by myself. She is full of energy, even moreso than most kids her age as some daycare/toddler play instructors will attest to. It's not unusual when I go places for other random stranger to comment on how "busy" and full of energy she is. That's a good thing in my opinion. Would rather her be a healthy rambunctious child than prop her in front of the t.v all day (although it does help sometimes :wink: )

I'm lucky at the end of my day to get my workouts in and usually I have about an hour to myself then off to bed.
On the weekends its a little better, hence why I designated SUNDAYS as my GLP1 days as I knew that Saturday I could actually get some rest. THERE IS NO WAY I COULD DO THOSE WORKOUTS WITH ANY SENSE OF INTENSITY DURING THE WEEK, I WOULD BE EXHAUSTED BEFORE I EVEN TOUCHED THE BAR.
The EDT block exercises and the Lactic acid training are doable, but I have to admit that even some days going into them I feel a little "beat".

I'm going to try to get more sleep, if that means sacrificing the only time I have to myself during the day then so be it. I've already invested a lot of time and effort in this program and I don't want to start the 2nd phase (GLP2) at a disadvantage. If that doesn't work than I guess I will have to go from there and decide for myself if I need to use an aid such as a supplement or something more.
NATTYDADDY7

Post by NATTYDADDY7 »

Update:

Feb 9/2016:

Training: EDT blocks

EDT Block 1: Weighted dips and cable pulls.
1st set: 1:26 fine (all reps.)
2nd set: 1:27 fine
3rd set: 1:28 fine
4th set: 1: 35 fine
5th set: 9 dips but got all cable pulls.

EDT block 2: Front squats and Russian step ups.
1st set: 2:32 fine
2nd set: 3:02 fine
3rd set: 3:36 fine.

Overall thoughts on EDT block: SEE BELOW IN OVERALL THOUGHTS SECTION!

Diet:
Total calories: 2929
Protein: 244.03
Carbs: 288.5
Fats: 87.33

Overall thoughts: This was easily the hardest day for me in terms of working out I was exhausted before I even began. I had gotten even less sleep over the night and as such I felt terrible all throughout the day. I literally had no energy. I dreaded working out. When the time came It took a monumental amount of effort to just even step foot into my home gym. I was 100% demotivated to do anything let alone train. Still, I did. I think it was more because I wanted to finish the week off right.

Once I finally got the 1st set done I felt a little better but it was terribly noticeable to me how much effort it was taking for me just to complete the 1st set. I thought to myself, "Damn, I'm never going to make it to even the 3rd or 4th set" yet somehow I did.

I finished up the first EDT block and then set up the 2nd one. It must have taken me 10 minutes before I dove into it due to just not feeling like I had the strength or energy to even begin it.
The first rep of the front squats felt terribly hard and heavy. Using pure stubbornness and will alone I managed to complete all the sets. Despite feeling like a zombie I did notice that the Russian step ups were "easier" (I didn't have to take as many breaks in order to complete the set.)

I also noticed on the last set that my right knee got a funny feeling in it once I finished the Russian step ups, however I think it was more brought on by the front squats.

All in all I was proud I completed the workout but at the same time I was a little worried. The demotivated feelings and total lack of energy were starting to really bother me mentally at this point.
NATTYDADDY7

Post by NATTYDADDY7 »

Update:

Feb 10/2016:

Diet:
Total calories:
Protein:
Carbs:
Fats:

Overall thoughts:
More bad sleep! This week I knew would be a nightmare so I wasn't surprised the sleep was so bad. Other than feeling the usual tired and lack of energy/demotivation I really noticed that my right knee was bothering me. A part of me wonders if maybe I was going to heavy on the front squats even though I wasn't using crazy heavy weight. This is also part of the reason I stopped doing regular squats many years ago. I noticed that my knees were giving trouble after a while. Not sure what to do about his in regards to my next blueprint run. Wondering if I should just lighten the load or ditch any kind of squat movement altogether.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated :)
NATTYDADDY7

Post by NATTYDADDY7 »

Update:

Feb 11/2016:

Training: Lactic acid training.

1st set: 6:24
2nd set: 6:43
3rd set: 6:55

Overall thoughts on lactic acid training:
Just like the EDT blocks, I noticed that just getting myself to start the workout was a feat unto itself. I felt demotivated and tired. Definitely not like I wanted to work out. However, a part of me reasoned that the workout wouldn't be so bad since everything was pretty much body weight exercises. That and the fact that it was the last workout of the program.

After I completed the 1st set I noticed a decent pump in my pecs and arms. It felt good. However, the other 2 sets didn't do as much as the first. [/b]In past lactic acid workouts I have noticed that my pump usually climaxes around the end of the 2nd set. In this case it peaked at the end of the 1st.

I finished the routine then went inside and had my postworkout meal.

Diet:
Total calories:
Protein:
Carbs:
Fats:

Overall thoughts: Once again, just felt very tired and demotivated. Had a very long and stressful day which I'm sure didn't play into my favor before I had my workout. I was glad that I finished the 6 week run of the meteoric though. Going to do measurements in a few days at the actual 6 week mark and go from there in regards to what I should do for my next run.
NATTYDADDY7

Post by NATTYDADDY7 »

Update:

Feb 12/2016:

Diet:
Total calories:
Protein:
Carbs:
Fats:

Overall thoughts: Not much sleep again
:(
Other than that I actually changed my macronutrient makeup for the day seeing as how I was at the end of the blueprint meteoric run and would be taking a week off from all training. As such my carbs were moderate and my protein was higher than it normally was for this day.

Going to do measurements and stats/weight for tomorrow.
NATTYDADDY7

Post by NATTYDADDY7 »

Update:

Feb 13/2016:

END OF 6 WEEK BLUEPRINT METEORIC RUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RESULTS:

So I weighed myself on a fairly empty stomach, much in the same conditions as when I began the program. I also took measurements of everything.

Before weight: 159.6
After weight: 164.4

After measurements:

Right arm: up 1/2 inch
Left arm: up .15 inch.
Left leg: up .25 inches
Right leg: up 0.25 inches
Both calf: Stayed the same

Waist: UP 1.25 inches :?

I have to find the measurements I took for my chest and shoulders still.

mirror test:

I know that looking at yourself objectively in the mirror is not the best way to go about looking for progress but I feel that I have a good eye for it nonetheless.
Some things I've noticed...

My face is more plump. Slightly fatter around the cheeks

My back has a bit more thickness when I am relaxed and it is just hanging. I also noticed slightly more size in the middle portion of my back . I believe this is due to the cable pulls as it is in the exact same location I could feel when doing the exercises.

My biceps look a little bigger however my triceps look untouched from what they were previously.

My lower chest has a more droopy look to the bottom of it, not sure if it is fat or muscle. The jury is out on that one right now.

My butt/glute looks bigger and my legs (which always looked big) look the same.

My waist area looks thicker. This is not exactly a good thing. From about my love handles to my glutes there is definitely more fat as well as size. My obliques look wider/blockier.

Bodyfat measurements using the Jackon/Pollock 4 caliper method:

Before: 7.85%
After: 9.17%

I'm starting to go over everything in my head. I didn't implement any cardio on this 6 week cycle for fear of it impeding my recovery and strength as it pertained to my GLP workouts. I'm starting to think that this was a "no-no." However, at the same time, would the cardio sessions make those sessions more difficult if my body was not fully recovered?

Either way I don't want to gain unnecessary bodyfat so I will implement cardio into my next blueprint run. I rarely have time to workout let alone do cardio but I am just going to have to sneak it in on 1 of the 2 days I'm not working out. Hopefully that will have an effect on the waist size.[/b]

1 rep Bench press max before: 215 pounds
1 rep bench press max after: 225 pounds.

1 rep deadlift max before: 420 pounds
1 rep deadlift max after: 440 pounds
Coach Rob

Post by Coach Rob »

Great objective measurements brother!

Yeah, cardio is certainly your friend, and would have gone a long way to mitigating any fat gain. Properly performed, it will not only not impede recovery, but accelerate it!

What I'm getting at are GPP exercises, such as dragging a weighted sled. This not only works the heart and lungs, but speeds delivery of fresh new blood/nutrients to the muscle while carrying away waste products. I'm going 30 minutes of light dragging today for example, and that's a few hours in advance of my leg/ab workout.

Besides that, you added some nice poundages to your bench/deadlift! Not easy to do, on a re-comp plan... :)

Honestly man, a few minor changes and you're there...