Bench Press - The Truth About the Effects of Bench Angle

Learn, share, ADVANCE. Bodybuilding, Sports & Endurance Training Tips & Discussion
askmass
Site Admin

Post by askmass »

https://suppversity.blogspot.com/2016/04 ... ts-of.html
Coach Rob

Post by Coach Rob »

Maybe it's me, but I can't follow Prof Andro's articles. I need to skip to the bolded summary section ASAP LOL

With respect to the bench, fine lift. I do feel strongly though the decline close grip bench is WAY under-utilized. If I had to pick though I'd opt for the pushup vs. bench press.

Why?

Because it's safer (elbows in) and you're moving the body and weight through space simultaneously, vs. just your appendages. You also get an energized effect not seen on the bench press. Try it sometime: Do a set of benches, observe how you feel in the minutes afterwards. Now repeat that same experiment with pushups...

You'll find you're way more energized and blood flow is increased to a far more significant degree. It pumps a lot more oxygen into the lungs too. Oooooh, but I can do so many pushups, they're not "enough".

Hogwash

Try one arm pushups. Then hold a DB behind your back with your free hand. Or elevate you feet on a bench. Or perform a 1 arm pushup with your feet touching each other.

Bodyweight stuff will almost always win. But if you can bench, do both and reap the rewards both have to offer..
GTGirl

Re: Bench Press - The Truth About the Effects of Bench Angle

Post by GTGirl »

I do a lot of bodyweight workouts but the decline bench is great and for me beats the pushup by a lot.
Coach Rob

Re: Bench Press - The Truth About the Effects of Bench Angle

Post by Coach Rob »

Try different pushups. Pushups with feet elevated on a bench, on the wall even! 1 arm pushups, pushups on balls and rings etc all add variety and a new challenge..