Restricted exercises

Learn, share, ADVANCE. Bodybuilding, Sports & Endurance Training Tips & Discussion
Redgum

Restricted exercises

Post by Redgum »

Hey guys, I workout at home and only have a barbell/squat rack/bench/chin up bar.

Is this programme not suitable for someone who doesnt have access to a lot of equipment? Or is there another way.

Thanks
sovabrat

Post by sovabrat »

With that equipment you could do the following exercises:

Bench Press
Close grip bench
Wide grip bench

BB Curl
rev BB curl
DB Extension, although it might be hard with a BB.

Squat
Lunge
Sissy Squat
Cleans
Pull Ups
wide grip pull ups
neutral grip pull ups
Deadlifts
dimel deadlifts
T-Bar Row
Bent row
Mil Press with a spotter

I think you could most definitely do the Blueprint with that you have. These exercises I have listed are all good with the blueprint. the only 3 you must have access to are bench, squat, and deadlifts.

I hope this helps.
Redgum

Post by Redgum »

Aye I should of been a little clearer. I was more referring to the dumbbell exercises/cable rows/dips basically anything to do with other than a barbell.

Thanks for that list though.

And just my 2 cents on this whole programme, famine stage looks like hell.
sovabrat

Post by sovabrat »

you dont NEED the DB's but they make those certain exercises more convenient.

Famine isnt that bad until the 3 day mark. If you stick to the diet and routine it is pretty horrible but worth it.
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Great post sovabrat!

It's true. All you have is all you need. I have the following:

Power cage
Two barbells
Pair of Powerblocks (luxury item)
Adjustable bench

Home built reverse hyper
Hip belt squat and a few misc items (bands, chains etc.)

You are limited only by your own ingenuity. For example, I perform dips by putting two barbells in the pins in the power rack. Step up on a cinderblock, cinch up the hip belt with some weight hanging from a chain and presto... there are my weighted dips. For my rows, I set up the barbell parallel to the bench. Put a 25 on one end and load that sucker up on the other end. There are my rows!

Less equipment is a blessing, not a curse.

If you're struggling with a particular exercise and how to fit it in, by all means let me know and I'll come up with a workaround for you!
Redgum

Post by Redgum »

Thanks for the feedback. I'll aware you on what equipment I do have. Oly bar, up to 495 lbs (I think!) Squat rack, bench, chin up bar. A 35lbs Kettle bell. Just found some ol' dumbbells too, only 35lbs tho. Don't think that will be enough somehow! (checked prices on some new ones.. jeez they're expensive?!)

Where there's a will there's a way, right?

Start of Famine stage. (Note: Not starting yet, I'll start in a few weeks, just making sure I have everything correct, PPPPPPP)

Legs/Back
- Squat OR leg press (feet close, high on platform) supersetted w/seated cable,
Tbar or 1 arm dumbell rows
- Seated cable rows, Tbar rows or Dumbell rows supersetted with chin up or
pulldowns

Can do squats, so that's fine. Instead of cable rows, will something like barbell bent over rows be a sufficient alternative?

As I cant do the seated cable rows. I'd try set up a T-bar row corner somewhere? As in, stick the end of the bar into a corner, add weights the other end, lift.. voila? (Note: Never ever done a T-bar row in my life.) And can do chin ups. So that's OK.

Biceps
- Biceps should be placed after legs/back.
- I suggest you pick 3 movements, 1 set of each: Standing barbell curls, incline
dumbell and preacher curls

Standing barbell curls not a problem. Incline dumbbell curls.. 35lbs.. enough? I really should try invest in some bigger ones. Preacher curls.. without the station would be hard right? or could I rest my arm against my leg.. or set bench to an incline position and somehow improvise around that.

Advice greatly appreciated, thanks.
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

OK Redgum, here we go!

Thanks for the feedback. I'll aware you on what equipment I do have. Oly bar, up to 495 lbs (I think!) Squat rack, bench, chin up bar. A 35lbs Kettle bell. Just found some ol' dumbbells too, only 35lbs tho. Don't think that will be enough somehow! (checked prices on some new ones.. jeez they're expensive?!)

A. Look into powerblocks or like selectorized dumbells. Yes they're expensive but look at it this way: one time purchase and you can pass them down through the generations.

Where there's a will there's a way, right?

A. Most definately :)

Start of Famine stage. (Note: Not starting yet, I'll start in a few weeks, just making sure I have everything correct, PPPPPPP)

Legs/Back
- Squat OR leg press (feet close, high on platform) supersetted w/seated cable,
Tbar or 1 arm dumbell rows
- Seated cable rows, Tbar rows or Dumbell rows supersetted with chin up or
pulldowns

A. Look here, it may very well help you..

https://bodybuildingsupplements.com/phpB ... .php?t=377

I'll be revising that verbage in 3.0. I certainly could have worded it better for you guys..

Can do squats, so that's fine. Instead of cable rows, will something like barbell bent over rows be a sufficient alternative?

A. I wouldn't suggest this. Not a fan of putting the back in a compromising condition like that after a heavy squat. Now by that I mean going into a lift where form varies WIDELY amongst those who practice it. I don't know what it is, but in gyms from CA to MA I've seen so many variations of this it boggles my mind.

Suggest 1 arm rows with the barbell if you can pick another one up at say, a yard sale or something. That's what I do..

As I cant do the seated cable rows. I'd try set up a T-bar row corner somewhere? As in, stick the end of the bar into a corner, add weights the other end, lift.. voila? (Note: Never ever done a T-bar row in my life.) And can do chin ups. So that's OK.

Biceps
- Biceps should be placed after legs/back.
- I suggest you pick 3 movements, 1 set of each: Standing barbell curls, incline
dumbell and preacher curls

Standing barbell curls not a problem. Incline dumbbell curls.. 35lbs.. enough? I really should try invest in some bigger ones. Preacher curls.. without the station would be hard right? or could I rest my arm against my leg.. or set bench to an incline position and somehow improvise around that.

A. Here's an economical solution that'll add infinite variations to your barbell/dumbell lifts: mini bands.

https://www.flexcart.com/members/eliteft ... PD&pid=246

$6.75 gets you one pair and you're limited only by your imagination what you can do with them. Attach them to barbells, dumbells etc to change your strength curve. You can do all sorts of things with these bands, many of which are legal in most states. Your spouse/GF may also enjoy them.

Advice greatly appreciated, thanks.

A. My priviledge and pleasure.
sovabrat

Post by sovabrat »

Depends on big of a guy you are. I am 5'7 176 I have been working out for a couple years. My incline dumbell reps are performed with the 30's. If you do them in strict form for the prescribed reps, you will get a huge pump from 30's. Unless you weigh something like 250 lbs.. In that case, yes you might want to get some 40's.

Also, one thing I have noticed is that the ECDY responds very well to supersets. This gets your blood flow moving real quick and stretches all your muscles (if you pick the right exercises). I will be on Upper #3 for feast phase on wednesday and I have been supersetting Inc DB Curls with One arm DB rows. I get a humongous pump with both exercises!!! Give it a try.
Redgum

Post by Redgum »

Thanks for the answers Rob. Gradually understanding the concept and idea of this whole programme etc. Tho, some of it is jargon to me, unfortunately, but one can only learn.

Those mini bands look.. funky.

Cheers sovabrat, I guess I will stick with the 35's for now.

I'll be starting this programme this Sunday I think. Would be easier to start on a day I have off, and just works out well over the week, some days I find it difficult to get time to eat certain foods.

I'll be starting a log in the other section within the next few days, so will continue over there. Thanks again.
sovabrat

Post by sovabrat »

Good Luck buddy, I will follow your log!
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Same here. Looking foward to it!
geoge18

Re: Restricted exercises

Post by geoge18 »

One of the huge advantages that you can get from wearing a weighted vest amid your workouts is that you will wind up getting significantly more grounded considerably quicker, also that it can build your general perseverance too. This really goes for basically any practice that you can consider doing.

Regardless of whether you are doing pushups, sit ups, squats, deadlifts, skipping rope, running, paddling, or cycling, a good weighted vest will enormously build the trouble and that certainly has some huge advantages. Basically, wearing a weighted vest amid any of those workouts, regardless of whether quality or cardio, puts an expanded load on your muscles, subsequently driving the majority of the muscles in your body to work substantially harder.

For instance, 100 sit ups in one day is nothing to look down on, and that will help construct your center, yet it may take a while. Nonetheless, on the off chance that you wear a weighted vest amid those sit ups your center muscles will be compelled to work considerably harder to adjust for the majority of that additional weight. Since your muscles need to work so substantially harder because of the weighted vest you will likewise observe more outcomes.

It takes a ton of quality and vitality to manage a weighted vest and your muscles will become more grounded significantly quicker than without a weighted vest. We could contrast this with something as straightforward as lifting dumbbells and it's as basic as saying that a 30-pound dumbbell strains your muscles more than a 10-pound dumbbell, along these lines expanding your muscle size and quality a great deal more.

The weighted vest additionally builds perseverance, in light of the fact that your muscles work such a great amount of harder to make up for the additional weight, they develop appropriately. When you take the weighted vest off and attempt to work out or keep running without it, the practice will be substantially less demanding and you will have the capacity to go for more.

This is on account of your muscles have become used to practicing with those additional pounds from the vest, so when you take it off, out of the blue things are significantly less demanding. Being more grounded and having better perseverance is obviously a useful thing since it increments physical execution amid games and furthermore makes your every day life substantially less demanding.
Coach Rob

Re: Restricted exercises

Post by Coach Rob »

The Blueprint can be run just fine using a handful of big, basic exercises. It's also flexible enough to incorporate bodyweight training, and you should be doing more and more of that as you age. Always keep chin ups in the mix!

They keep any bodyweight gains you make honest!! :)