Video - How to perform Famine squat session #3

Learn, share, ADVANCE. Bodybuilding, Sports & Endurance Training Tips & Discussion
RobRegish

Video - How to perform Famine squat session #3

Post by RobRegish »

Big.jazayrli shows us how it's done:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSq615TU-RU

Everything from the depth, to the back position, hips and rep cadence was incredibly consistent. Fabulous work.

It all looked so automatic...which leads me to believe it's been ingrained into his CNS/brain for awhile. This is the product of doing it right for awhile, so don't fret if your first try doesn't look like this. It is however, something to strive for.
Big.jazayrli

Re: Video - How to perform Famine squat session #3

Post by Big.jazayrli »

RobRegish wrote:Big.jazayrli shows us how it's done:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSq615TU-RU

Everything from the depth, to the back position, hips and rep cadence was incredibly consistent. Fabulous work.

It all looked so automatic...which leads me to believe it's been ingrained into his CNS/brain for awhile. This is the product of doing it right for awhile, so don't fret if your first try doesn't look like this. It is however, something to strive for.
EPIC! Glad to be of service :)
askmass
Site Admin

Post by askmass »

Fantastic, Big J.

I love how this place is becoming such a real wealth of shared information.

Good going, my friend!
Big.jazayrli

Post by Big.jazayrli »

askmass wrote:Fantastic, Big J.

I love how this place is becoming such a real wealth of shared information.

Good going, my friend!
squats are my favorite workout. im glad if i can help others out with it :)
DaCookie

Post by DaCookie »

Squats are my least favorite.Probably cause 20 reps of it is absolutly killer.I think I get closer and closer to your form every workout.
Big.jazayrli

Post by Big.jazayrli »

DaCookie wrote:Squats are my least favorite.Probably cause 20 reps of it is absolutly killer.I think I get closer and closer to your form every workout.
it just takes practice man.

i generally go through a mental checklist with each rep:
1. Take a deep breath and expand core and chest
2. Arch back forward
3. Slowly (not like a negative, but don't let the weight fall) sink to bottom of rep
4. Focus on Squeezing your quads on the way up

I have found those solidify my form with higher weights. particularly when doing a few more reps
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

"it just takes practice man".

Bump on this. Exactly what I was referring to when I commented that it looks like it's been built into your CNS.

What I'm saying here is that with PRACTICE, these lifts are built into your mind as much as your muscles. It must be remembered that the message to contract large amounts of muscle flows as follows:

1. Message is initiated in the BRAIN
2. Message travels down the spinal cord to the vertabrea
3. Message leaves the vertabrae, traveling through the nerves to the muscles with the message to "contract" maximally.

On a compound lift such as the squat, you've got MULTIPLE electrical impulses/nerve transmissions coming out of MULTIPLE vertabrae. This is part of the reason I'm so big on chiropractic. You get any nerve impingments/blockages out of the way and you have a clear channel with which that message can now flow. Result? You're stronger!

Direct from The Blueprint, pages 24-25:

A WORD ON CHIROPRACTIC DURING
CRUISE/SOLIDIFICATION OR DURING OTHER TIMES

I'd like to speak to something I feel has been overlooked: Chiropractic care.

Now, I've been lucky. In 25 years of lifting I've suffered few injuries. I have had some minor lower back issues that quickly corrected themselves but by and large, very fortunate.

However, I'd recommend that even if NOT in any pain a visit to the chiro for a reality check is a good idea. The following two step approach can reveal a LOT and the first test won't cost you a dime.

First, do a weight distribution check. This is a neat home diagnostic I use to selfassess how out of whack I am. To perform this test, simply stand on two scales, placing one foot on each. Observe how much weight you carry on each leg. Very revealing and should give you a good indication of how well aligned you are. If you're carrying 5% or more
of your bodyweight on one leg, see a chiro.

While you're there, request a thermoscan. A thermoscan reveals what vertabrae may have nerve blockages. Why is this important? Because the message to contract muscle starts in the brain, travels down the spine and is transmitted to the muscle via the nerves. In simple terms... the more efficient this message the more muscle you can contract the heavier you can lift! Many chiro's will do this for you for FREE as part of an initial consultation. And know this; most chiro's will work with you even if you DON'T have insurance. They interact well with lifters
because they too, have something to prove to the mainstream medical community. I think you'll find them invaluable insofar as keeping your CNS in good working order, never mind all the other benefits (and there are many, IMO).

My first thermoscan revealed 8 vertabrae with issues, 4 in the neck and 4 in the middle back. Nerve blockages appear color coded as red on the thermoscan printout. These were complete nerve blockages yet, I didn't really have any pain.

I did know something was wrong after a tailor noted my drooping shoulder and I consistently gripped the bar during bench presses about 1" further out with my right arm. If you're stuck at a computer all day take note; the hand you use to manipulate the mouse will cause that shoulder to droop. I caught myself doing this after it was called to my attention.

I then initiated a once a week chiro treatment protocol for 12 weeks. Upon retesting, they were all green, no more blockages!
I had suspected as much, given I was standing straighter, had better posture when sitting and was no long leaning as much to one side. I was also stronger.

In addition, my weight distribution improved greatly. Previously, I weighed in at 228lbs.... carrying 99lbs on my left leg and 129lbs on my right. Not good. That improved to carrying 112lbs on my left leg and 128 on my right. I only had a 16lb imbalance vs. 30lbs before! Still some ways to go but I'm telling you, please look into this stuff. It could very well benefit your training in the form of greater strength levels.

Hope that helps you!
askmass
Site Admin

Post by askmass »

Visualization helped me a LOT in mastering the squat.

Imagine yourself doing the perfect set, in your mind, before bed every night.

It will program you for success, believe me.
DaCookie

Post by DaCookie »

I like to visualize before the set also and to think of something which motivates me.
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

There is something deep inside everyone that trips it.

For some, it is ex girlfriends. Others think of enemies or work-related stressors. That's one angle..

The other is the positive reinforcement side. By this I mean putting those goals in writing. Reciting on index cards once in the morning and once at night before retiring. Make a public statement. Hold yourself accountable.

It's a pick 'em. When I was younger it was the former. Now that I'm older... it's the latter.
ezjax

Post by ezjax »

is it ok to not hit parallel with this workout?

is the idea to get your body moving for the full reps irrespective of range of motion?

just curious?
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

At least parallel is always recommended.

Although the focus is on substrate depletion, those movement build into your CNS/motor learning, especially high rep sets.

When things get heavier both your conscious/subconscious mind will want to revert to what's ingrained in them. As such, always strive for at least parallel. I go 1-2" under...