Active Recovery Ideas: Accelerate RecoveryBetween Workouts!

Learn, share, ADVANCE. Bodybuilding, Sports & Endurance Training Tips & Discussion
RobRegish

Active Recovery Ideas: Accelerate RecoveryBetween Workouts!

Post by RobRegish »

Some ideas to facilitate active recovery between workouts:

1.) GPP such as sled dragging
2.) Push a weighted wheelbarrow up a slight incline
3.) Medicine ball throws
4.) Some HIIT cardio
5.) Treat yourself to a massage
6.) Get a chiropractic adjustment
7.) Daily hot/cold showers. Alternate 1 minute of each for 10 minutes.
8.) Cryotherapy on sore muscles: Take a dixie cup, fill it with water and place in the freezer. Have you GF/wife or mistress (ideally all 3) apply to said muscles, peeling the cup as the ice melts.

You can add Cayenne Pepper to this when you freeze it, but unclear as to if that's legal in your state. Since I'm not up on these things, you can cite cite Rob's recommendation and ignorance of the law. That'll work in every state*

Any of the above is going to GREATLY benefit you and shave days off of recovery between heavy workouts.

Hope this helps!

*Excludes states with vowels in their names
TURBOFLEX

Post by TURBOFLEX »

Hmmm.. Very interesting, ill have to try a few of these out!
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Yeah, I hope more of you guys try one or more of these. You'll find one that works for you and as a result.... reap even BIGGER rewards from your BP runs!
drtda

Post by drtda »

I'm thinking of getting a sled from elite fts, but only have about 40-45' of a straight run in my basement. Do you think this is long enough?

Outside is probably out as the Midwest winter is about to kick in so my yard will have snow, ice, or be total muck for next 4-5 months.
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Get it anyway. Dragging indoors for shorter durations is a small price to pay for a few months. Very small.

Solid investment and lasts a lifetime. Just like BP :)
bigla2004

Post by bigla2004 »

Very interesting points and a bit ahead of the mainstream curve.. but Christian Thibs really seems to like these principals as he has illustrated in his 'neural charge' philosophy as seen here:

https://www.t-nation.com/free_online_art ... e_training
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Great contribution man!

That didn't take long :) So happy you're here. Welcome home man, welcome home...
bigla2004

Post by bigla2004 »

RobRegish wrote:Great contribution man!

That didn't take long :) So happy you're here. Welcome home man, welcome home...
Thanks.. the whole cns manipulation is something I have been very interested in. I think I want to work these days into my bp run to stay fresh / raise my metabolic rate. I remember one day I was angry because of an ex gf and went in and rack pulled 675 from my knee.. never again has that happened and even a couple workouts after that 500 would feel heavy so there is a lot to cns being primed.
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Yeah like rack pulls huh? Boy do I have something for you!

Here's the variation we use in Blueprint. It's called the top range rack pull and it's a dandy:

Top Range Rack Pull with Static Hold - Big Jaz shows us how its done!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NOpBDbFMm8

Incredible lift that if not overdone, imparts a tremendous "hardening" effect on the entire body, lowers the golgi tendon threshold (more on that later), strengthen not just the muscles but tendons, ligaments, bones and everything else from your neck down to your toes in one shot.

After a warmup and and the END of your lower body workouts but PRIOR to any ab work, consider the following:

Two static holds in this fashion holding a MAXIMAL WEIGHT for 5-15 seconds. Suggest about 3 min between sets. Curiously, I find you're stronger on your second set vs. your first.

I suspect CNS greasing of the groove so to speak as the reason...
vangkm007

Post by vangkm007 »

Rob, do you think Yoga is a good active recovery exercise? I read somewhere that stretching the day after lifting will add some strength to your lifts. I also want to increase my flexibility as well. Usually 1 hour of Yoga makes me feel like a million bucks afterwards.
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

vangkm007 wrote:Rob, do you think Yoga is a good active recovery exercise? I read somewhere that stretching the day after lifting will add some strength to your lifts. I also want to increase my flexibility as well. Usually 1 hour of Yoga makes me feel like a million bucks afterwards.
It's an EXCELLENT recovery method, preventative and as much a mental exercise as it is physical.

AskMass is BIG into it. Maybe he'll chime in here. Nothing but upside, IMO...
SebPL

Post by SebPL »

Iam using the shower, HIIT-Cardio and Iam doning some Foam Rolling as well as some mobility like for the hips and thoracic spine. It works wonders. I will also get a sled as soon as possible. With my powerlifting group we use the prowler. Very nice tool too. Only concetric work as with the medicine balls or the sled.
Thx Rob!
cogrick2

Post by cogrick2 »

SebPL wrote:Iam using the shower, HIIT-Cardio and Iam doning some Foam Rolling as well as some mobility like for the hips and thoracic spine. It works wonders. I will also get a sled as soon as possible. With my powerlifting group we use the prowler. Very nice tool too. Only concetric work as with the medicine balls or the sled.
Thx Rob!
Interesting. I do not remember Rob has talked about foam rolling. Maybe something for a future Blueprint Power Hour on Superhumanradio.com?
SebPL

Post by SebPL »

cogrick2 wrote:
SebPL wrote:Iam using the shower, HIIT-Cardio and Iam doning some Foam Rolling as well as some mobility like for the hips and thoracic spine. It works wonders. I will also get a sled as soon as possible. With my powerlifting group we use the prowler. Very nice tool too. Only concetric work as with the medicine balls or the sled.
Thx Rob!
Interesting. I do not remember Rob has talked about foam rolling. Maybe something for a future Blueprint Power Hour on Superhumanradio.com?
Iam not sure if Rob has talked about it, but I know a lot of coaches who recommend it, particularly for the tight regions like the hip flexor. And a foam roll dosent cost a lot. You could also use a PVC pipe - but that could be a little to painful at the beginning.