16 year old dies benching: GET A SPOTTER!

Learn, share, ADVANCE. Bodybuilding, Sports & Endurance Training Tips & Discussion
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Right there...

Had you touched up a bit too high what to do? I worry about this guys, I really do.

Take care of yourselves....

islandboy90 wrote:too bad no one I know works out so I dont have a spotter,
same thing happened to me today I guess I was pushing too hard..
fortunatly for me the weight was on my chest and I could just roll it down
i've learned my lesson
JlCh

Post by JlCh »

Yea, I just saved a guy during my last workout 2 days ago :p. He's an older guy, probably high 50's, doing 225. I saw one rep that was pretty close to failure and saw he was going for another rep, so I walked over just incase. As soon as I got there he stalled out about half way up on the rep and I helped him get it the rest of the way up. There was no one else there, besides people on the cardio equip, other than me so it would have been a tricky situation. I don't think he would have died from it, but it would've been a pretty embarrassing situation with 4 plates slamming into the floor.
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

JlCh wrote:Yea, I just saved a guy during my last workout 2 days ago :p. He's an older guy, probably high 50's, doing 225. I saw one rep that was pretty close to failure and saw he was going for another rep, so I walked over just incase. As soon as I got there he stalled out about half way up on the rep and I helped him get it the rest of the way up. There was no one else there, besides people on the cardio equip, other than me so it would have been a tricky situation. I don't think he would have died from it, but it would've been a pretty embarrassing situation with 4 plates slamming into the floor.
Don't sell yourself short - you may very well have saved his life. He's probably somebody's father, husband, maybe even grandfather. Certainly someone's friend.

You did a GREAT thing man. So proud of you for looking out for those around you. The exact kind of person I want here...

Thank you..
warriorcookie

Post by warriorcookie »

Sorry to resurrect an old thread...

https://youtu.be/thvPS0bT5m8

This is Russion lifter Igor Golushkin. Open grip with 400 pounds, spotter not paying attention.

He could stand up, but had to go to the hospital due to broken ribs.

After a few hours he died because of damaged organs.
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

OMG, tragic…

Spotting really is a HUGE responsibility. Take it seriously folks, their life is in YOUR hands!