Which is more anabolic, Tomatidine or Ursolic Acid?

Serious supplementation, focused on the MASS line at BodyBuildingSupplements.com
Coach Rob

Which is more anabolic, Tomatidine or Ursolic Acid?

Post by Coach Rob »

A recent study looked at both...

https://www.jbc.org/content/290/42/25497

It seems that tomatidine works in the same way as ursolic acid, a similar substance in apple skins, which has been shown (in a human study) to reduce fat mass, slightly increase lean body mass and boost muscle strength. The dose at which all these supposed effects take place is five times lower with tomatidine than with ursolic acid...

Which one is the more anabolic of the 2? How about - NEITHER!!!

I've used high dose UA orally, transdermally and via cyclodextrin. It did diddly squat, at any dose and with any form. As for Tomatidine let me save you some $. The one product that contains legit material is dosed at ONE FIFTH the effective dose and complexed with Shilajit. Even with Shilajit, the product did jack...

Until we get better data, I suggest sticking with tried and true real world performers like Adaptogen N and Synthagen. Both of these products you take, you feel and you can quantify the results via objective measures. Like a 55% increase in T in 27 days from Adaptogen N! OR feeling fresh as a daisy next day, after pounding my muscles into oblivion with Synthagen!!!
scoooter

Re: Which is more anabolic, Tomatidine or Ursolic Acid?

Post by scoooter »

tomatidine = green tomato skin
ursolic acid = apple skin
Shilajit = minerals from cave droppings

The supp industry keeps trying and that ok, hopefully there is more real science to confirm and/or validate the effects in humans.

What will they come up with next ?
askmass
Site Admin

Post by askmass »

Coach Rob wrote:A recent study looked at both...

https://www.jbc.org/content/290/42/25497

It seems that tomatidine works in the same way as ursolic acid, a similar substance in apple skins, which has been shown (in a human study) to reduce fat mass, slightly increase lean body mass and boost muscle strength. The dose at which all these supposed effects take place is five times lower with tomatidine than with ursolic acid...

Which one is the more anabolic of the 2? How about - NEITHER!!!

I've used high dose UA orally, transdermally and via cyclodextrin. It did diddly squat, at any dose and with any form. As for Tomatidine let me save you some $. The one product that contains legit material is dosed at ONE FIFTH the effective dose and complexed with Shilajit. Even with Shilajit, the product did jack...

Until we get better data, I suggest sticking with tried and true real world performers like Adaptogen N and Synthagen. Both of these products you take, you feel and you can quantify the results via objective measures. Like a 55% increase in T in 27 days from Adaptogen N! OR feeling fresh as a daisy next day, after pounding my muscles into oblivion with Synthagen!!!
Totally agreed.

Speaking of Shilajit.

I've been running a very high dose trial for over two months now. About 20g daily, spread out over four doses. Three following main meals, another before bed.

The results?

It doesn't add a whole lot after the first few weeks.

Initially, better sleep with wildly vivid dreams and that unusual sense of an increase in bone density it seems to give.

Perhaps, a slight bump of strength increase in the gym but nothing significant enough to know for sure.

It is, at best IMO, an insurance policy item to use sparingly or maybe once every 5-10 years heavy for a short while to shore up bone strength or in serious injury recovery - and even then I'm not saying it will do anything beyond what regular intake of homemade bone broth will do for you.

With Synthagen and Adaptogen N, you KNOW straight away they work and deliver very noticeable benefits in and out of training.

The mystique of Shilajit paste is there, though. It's hard to come by the real stuff (tons of fakes out there) and the real versions are expensive as heck for just small amounts. You can buy Synthagen and Adaptogen N BOTH for less than what I paid for this trial run of Shilajit. And, I got a big jar of it from a trusted overseas supplier we know at the "hook up price". Still, it was about twice what you'd pay for a bottle of Synthagen by itself and the effects are not remotely comparable to Synthagen, or Adaptogen N. For strength gains alone, Shilajit is not remotely comparable to what a tub of the team issue Kre-Alkalyn powder we sell will give - and you can get a half kilo of that for half the price and have for a full years supply.

That's actually exactly the item I most recommend for young strength athletes or anyone on a tight budget. Lots of bang for the buck.
Coach Rob

Post by Coach Rob »

It's true, Shilajit is good stuff. Also true though that it's inherently limited, and not my first pick as an adaptogen. In fact, I favor its use only for 10 days on/off during heavy training cycles.

If I thought it was better than that, it'd be in Synthagen/Tranquilogen. If it was a fantastic test booster, it'd be in Adaptogen N. Not useless by any means, but not "top tier"... The extract is hard to come by (standardized). It's also useful in improving the bio-availability of certain compounds, but again that's an indirect effect.

As for Adaptogens, your heavy hitters are: RCE, Ashwaghanda, Rhodiola and Suma. Trib can loosely be considered an Adaptogen, and it's a big part of the reason AN works so fast..