Weight Lifting Gear/Hardware

Discuss Sports, Music, Movies, Laughs & Life...
vangkm007

Weight Lifting Gear/Hardware

Post by vangkm007 »

If you have a home gym I'd be interested in knowing what kind of equipment you have and why you chose it.

I'm thinking about expanding a few things, particularly getting more plates since the blueprint has been working so well for me I need more plates!

Right now I have a home gym that consists of:

commercial quality treadmill
power rack (I forget the manufacturer, but was a semi-popular cheaper option)
Hoist FID bench
Ironmaster quick change dumbbells (up to 75 lbs each)

Right now I'd like to get input on barbells, mine is very old and I use it for everything but I know there are different barbells designed for different types of lifts.

I'm interested in bumper plates/expansion of my dumbbells to 150 lbs each/more large plates (45 lbs)

Also considering bands and maybe even ropes...I don't really have the room but am thinking of moving to a bigger place soon and or/workout out in my backyard (only available in spring/summer/fall).
ckeahey76

Post by ckeahey76 »

What you can't workout outside in the winter in Wisconsin? Come on I use to live there, they weren't that bad...oh, wait yea they were. :wink:

As for the equipment, I have a basic power rack where I can do squats, but its also a combo smith machine. I also have the lat attachment as well as butterfly. I have some dumbells only to 60 lbs, and lots of plates. I have procured most of my equipment from craigs list, nothing like slightly used equipment from people who are not motivated. 8)
vangkm007

Post by vangkm007 »

ckeahey76 wrote:What you can't workout outside in the winter in Wisconsin? Come on I use to live there, they weren't that bad...oh, wait yea they were. :wink:

As for the equipment, I have a basic power rack where I can do squats, but its also a combo smith machine. I also have the lat attachment as well as butterfly. I have some dumbells only to 60 lbs, and lots of plates. I have procured most of my equipment from craigs list, nothing like slightly used equipment from people who are not motivated. 8)
I hear you on the Craigslist buying. With the exception of the weights/barbell and rack I got everything else off of Craigslist too.

The only bad is I usually have to drive an hour to the nearest metro area to pick up any gear since hardly anything useful gets listed around here.
ckeahey76

Post by ckeahey76 »

Hear ya on the driving an hour. Here in Tx, mostly due to traffic, you can drive an hour and still be in the same town. Tonight I will be driving 5 hours to go down to Houston to visit some friends, this is one of the only places I know where you can drive all day and still be in the same state. One of the good things about it is that its already grilling season here. :wink:
beefcake66

Post by beefcake66 »

I have my own home gym set up and have a few of the things you have mentioned yourself:

power rack (Bodysolid I think, cheaper/smaller than the usual but good)
(i think) Hoist FID (the D sucks though)
Hex Dumbbells (I have from 5 to 35 right now)
7ft Standard Bar (with ~300lbs plates)
7ft Olympic Bar (with ~300lbs plates including 2x 10lb bumper plates)
Standard EzCurl Bar
Commercial quality treadmill and exercise bike
and the crappiest rower you can imagine.

For your bar/plate situation, I would suggest getting an olympic bar starting kit... one of the home gym stores in my area was selling a 300lb kit (bar + 255lbs of plates) for about 300 dollars if I remember correctly.

If you want to do explosive lifts like Power Cleans and Snatches, and you want bumper plates, the bar that you would get in a kit like that would not be good enough - you'd need one of those super expensive barbells that bend (like 1000 or 1500lb tested?). My barbell is only a 500lb tested bar and its about $150 alone; one of the better ones are definitely over $500, probably closer to $1000.

Craigslist would probably be a good way to go but I highly doubt any of those resolutioners without motivation would've bought a bar that expensive if they weren't going to use it....

Since I'm just a chick, I don't forsee myself having more than 300lbs on my barbell anytime soon, and I definitely won't be doing explosive lifts of over 100lbs in the near future for various reasons... so I figured I could get away with 10lb bounce plates and the barbell I have now without too much issues - I won't be throwing it around. If you want to throw it around... invest in good equipment.

And btw... bumper plates are RETARDED expensive. My 10lber's were 79.00 a PIECE. Canadian... so US would probably be closer to $60, but that's still ridiculous!

For plates I wouldn't pay more than $1/lb (if used probably no more than $0.50/lb unless they were rubber coated), and dumbbells when you get into higher numbers you may have to pay more. I don't know anything about the interchangeable weight dumbbells.

Hope that helps!
vangkm007

Post by vangkm007 »

LOL, thanks for the insight beefcake. I haven't really started to look into pricing for bumper plates and had no idea they were so pricey. I have contemplated joining the university weight room but at $90 a semester it's pretty steep in price! Not to mention I heard after 3PM it's hard to get in there to do anything since there are so many ppl in there from 3-close. That and they're open odd hours during breaks/summer.

I was thinking of joining a regular traditional gym but around here they have no gyms with clean stations, the university has 1 clean station. So far I've just been using my barbell in a limited space to do cleans. It really hasn't inhibited me too much but I do have to hold onto the barbell and can't just drop it from shoulder height.

I've been looking on craigslist forever for decent barbells and weights. I don't want to buy the set from a store because I don't need more small plates, I just need more 45's. Ideally I'd like to have 4 more 45's.