The All purpose wrestling discussion/pictures/videos thread.

Discuss Sports, Music, Movies, Laughs & Life...
Zman42

The All purpose wrestling discussion/pictures/videos thread.

Post by Zman42 »

Title says it all.

I know I linked this in the Hall Of Fame thread, but this is the match that made me a WCW fan. Sting vs. Vader at 1992 Great American Bash

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1uack ... bash_sport

And the match that made me a TNA fan. The First X-Division Title match. AJ Styles vs. Jerry Lynn vs. Psichosis vs. Low-Ki

https://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea ... d=18327650
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

I loved the old school NWA/Carolina's stuff from the mid-late 1980's.

Talent roster second to none and the guys just flat our worked hard. Crockett was fantastic too.

It's sad but Barry Windham could have had another 10 great years if he hadn't let himself go.
askmass
Site Admin

Post by askmass »

RobRegish wrote:I loved the old school NWA/Carolina's stuff from the mid-late 1980's.

Talent roster second to none and the guys just flat our worked hard. Crockett was fantastic too.

It's sad but Barry Windham could have had another 10 great years if he hadn't let himself go.
I agree on Crockett, it was simply "as good as it ever got" for many of us.

Speaking of which, I just finished up Jim Cornette's "25th Anniversary of The Midnight Express Scrapbook" and highly recommend it for any fan of the last 30 years, and especially one of the outstanding Crockett NWA era. It's available via jimcornette.com.

He provides a ton of insight, stats and facts unseen by the public heretofore. Your eyes will bulge looking at the payoff slips for Starrcade and the entire run in Jim Crockett Promotions. HUGE money, and he says Flair and Dusty were pulling 3-4x as much coin as The Midnights.

On Barry, agreed as well. I think he had a major back issue at one point that put him on the shelf so long to where he never could rebound physically to his peak. He was a top tier talent and had been pegged to carry the NWA strap back when it mattered most.
Zman42

Post by Zman42 »

If memory serves, Barry married into a really rich family, so he lost the spark to keep performing at his peak.

Mike Rotunda's son is in WWE developmental. His name: Windham Rotunda....
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Zman42 wrote:If memory serves, Barry married into a really rich family, so he lost the spark to keep performing at his peak.

Mike Rotunda's son is in WWE developmental. His name: Windham Rotunda....
You've GOT to be kidding!
askmass
Site Admin

Post by askmass »

I don't know about the marriage into wealth, but Mike did marry one of Barry's sisters so the Windham Rotunda name makes perfect sense.
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Does anyone remember the angle where the Midnight Express challenged the Road Warriors?

Unique at the time, heels vs. heels. Culminated in a title change with the Roadies decimating Cornette's team at the Superdome. I think it was a house show too, with a single cameraman recording the action.

Made you believe it could happen anywhere, even a house show/non-televised. Barry's Horseman turn in tag match with Luger was similar, eminating from somewhere in FL. Ross really did a nice job getting that over.

Fantastic stuff.
Zman42

Post by Zman42 »

askmass wrote:I don't know about the marriage into wealth, but Mike did marry one of Barry's sisters so the Windham Rotunda name makes perfect sense.
Truth be told, I can't remember where I read it, but it was one of the reasons why he seemed to not be getting work during a lot of the 90s.

I think Windham Rotunda is Mike's kid's real name.