When some gym rat asks you about the static holds...

Discuss Sports, Music, Movies, Laughs & Life...
wtmarcus

When some gym rat asks you about the static holds...

Post by wtmarcus »

Every now and then when I hit the gym for a BP3 workout I get questions about my static holds... Why am I doing this? "no one else does it" etc. I have generally said "normal training for normal results.... this primes my body for some good liftin'".

Just yesterday someone pointed me towards Chuck Sipes. Googling him up shows he sported an amazing body back in the 60s, steroid free.

Secret weapon?
Support Movements
A final tip from Sipes is his heavy reliance on what he called support movements. Sipes believed these were the key to developing tremendous strength.

One such movement for the bench press is isometric lockouts, which is simply unracking the weight in a power rack and holding it at lockout position for 5 to 20 seconds.

If he could hold it for longer than 20 seconds it was time to increase the weight, usually by 20 pounds or so. Sipes recommended 4 sets of 5 to 20 seconds
Quote from https://www.t-nation.com/free_online_art ... huck_sipes.

So if anyone at the gym ever asks you just what the heck you're up too.. ask 'em to google picture search for Chuck Sipes. 8)

Of course after a year of combining BP3 with body weight fun (gorilla pushups into planches, frog to hand stands, etc.) and bizarre grip training people have stopped asking me what the heck I'm up to, and I'm known as "oh.. that guy.."
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

"I get questions about my static holds... Why am I doing this? "no one else does it" etc.. "

= You're on to something, BIG!!! :-)
wtmarcus

Post by wtmarcus »

RobRegish wrote:"I get questions about my static holds... Why am I doing this? "no one else does it" etc.. "

= You're on to something, BIG!!! :-)
Indeed..

I lift at a 24/7 fitness spa.. Had I been doing what everyone else was doing I'd be on the phone talking about yesterday's soccer game while doing half-ROM swinging curls with my free hand. 8)

I swear soon they'll get the brilliant idea to install internet-screens in all the fancy lifting machines so people can be entertained while they're going through the motion.
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Situation is only going to get worse brother.

Go underground, stay underground... :-)
askmass
Site Admin

Post by askmass »

Just don't divulge the secrets of the Green Banana Diet, whatever you do, Rob!
beefcake66

Post by beefcake66 »

RobRegish wrote:Go underground, stay underground... :-)

Basement Gym (The Dungeon) .... mission complete