•• Any Ex-Smokers in here?? ••

Discuss Sports, Music, Movies, Laughs & Life...
SudburyBaller

•• Any Ex-Smokers in here?? ••

Post by SudburyBaller »

I recently quit. It has been close to 4 weeks now. For the most part the cravings are managable, but sometimes I am on the verge of cracking.
It hasn't been long enough to notice a difference in training, but I do enjoy the overall feeling of being healthier.

If anyone in here smokes or use to smoke, how has it affected your training/ gains? How did you quit? Do you plan on quitting? Etc.

-SB
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

I never even tried it. I'm probably the one person on the planet though, that created a nicotine addiction where none existed prior.... nicotine gum.

You want the Habitrol brand (cheapest) in either 2mg or 4mg strength:

stopsmokingtoday.com OR
stopsmokingshop.com

They flip flop on which one is the cheapest. Shipping takes 1-2 weeks (out of New Zealand, I think) but they're reliable..

I use it for mental and phsyical stimulation. It does have a noticeable impact in that regard. Combined with caffeine in a 100mg caff to 1mg of nicotine ratio, it elevates metabolic rate, depresses hunger and contribute to positive nutrient partitioning.

Of course, best to quit altogether, I guess..

Hope that helps.
askmass
Site Admin

Post by askmass »

I think I have mentioned this to you, Rob, but count me among the nicotine gum guys.

I buy the one that doesn't have all the chemical sweeteners. It's a base of gum and the nic.

I smoked a lifetime ago for a few years during my late teen days in radio, and lots of us used chewing tobacco or wet snuff. Copenhagen is a frickin' narcotic, trust me, and you would be shocked to know what all they put in all of these style products. It is criminal.

But hey, all the ballplayers did it, right? They marketed like crazy to us kids in those days. My friend Mark and I bought a pack of chew at 12 it seems and were hooked since.

We both totally put the dip away at 31, together same as we'd started. I picked up on the gum a good bit later and have kept it around since. If I'm splitting wood or something, I crave Red Man to this day and the gum gets me through.

I don't want to promote it too much (expensive stuff for one thing), but will say that there is some ergo benefit to be found and leave it at that.

One way or the other, I'm in your corner to snuff the smokes, man!
SudburyBaller

Post by SudburyBaller »

Yeah, nicotine is a bitch. I've used dip a few times this month. Not a great alternative, but cheaper than nicorette. Gotta save money for sups. Lolz. Smoking is worse than heroin I swear. ( not from exp. Btw )
TURBOFLEX

Post by TURBOFLEX »

hey Sud, I smoked cigs for about 10 yrs 16-26, I've been a non smoker for about 3 yrs now, and never looked back. I had a few failed attempts before being sucsessful, but I knew the last time I tried ws gonna be the last time..

I looked at as a battle, just got plum pissed off,and said there is NO WAY a f'ing cigarette is gonna beat me. I literally went to war with my habit, and although i did have cravings I wasnt ABOUT to give in...

I have a VERY competitive spirit, and I used it to my advantage in quitting, there was NOWAY I was gonna lose, when the cravings hit I just ate a tic-tac or downed aglass of water, and would kinda forget about it for a minute, although the first 2 weeks were a mofo, eventually the cravings got fewer and farther between, untill they were gone all togather..

I'm happy to report I DON"T EVEN think about em anymore, I know some people struggle with it for years, but there is noway I'd ever even think about smoking again..

Good luck to ya on quitting buddy, just get pissed off and kick there ass bro, it's all a head game, there is noway that cigarette can make you smoke it, get in there go to war, and kick it to the curb!! You aint weak, and only you can let yourself lose.. and I can tell you aint gonna let that happen...
askmass
Site Admin

Post by askmass »

Good advise, Turbo.

It reminds me of one way a customer told me he quit and something I've recommended to others at times (and should have mentioned before for you, SB).

Anyway, this guy said that every time he had a strong craving he would drop and do push ups to exhaustion.

It makes a lot of sense on several levels if you think about it...
SudburyBaller

Post by SudburyBaller »

I love ths place. :)
dracotdrgn

Post by dracotdrgn »

Agree on a lot, and yup I've been there. The first time I quit I'd do somthing physical when I had a craving, run around the block push ups. The second and final time....You know your about in the four week mark, depending on how much you smoked your lungs are due for a cleansing. I was coughing and hacking, and almost lost my voice but when it was all over I knew there was no going back.
Once your lungs know you are done putting that crap in them they will clean themselves out. You will cough more than you did while smoking and possibly feel worse. You'll get through it and be better for it. Think about picking up the cardio afterwards and you will then feel the difference. I did talk to one guy who never went through a hard cleansing, so maybe you'll get lucky.

"Copenhagens a narcotic" Funny and true the first time I dipped that I was green on the floor.
Good luck bro-stay strong!
BrainSquirt

Post by BrainSquirt »

First is the primary one time choice to quit
Then comes the secondary choices of which it takes 'quitting' again / this time / now about 1000 times... keeping a running count of those secondary 'quits' might help.

Rolling Thunder, a long dead American Indian medicine man, said that tobacco is a much abused, but excellent, medicine for a broken heart. The memories of the 'peers' and the 'partying' masked my beginnings of smoking for a long time... it took me a long time to see what he was really saying...

hth
1000 times
Hank!

Post by Hank! »

I fortunately have never smoked but I used to drink .. I used to drink ALOT.
Oddly enough i finally got to a point where one day I just stopped cold turkey havent drank for 6 yrs now, I like Turbo view this as competition that I have Won

Anyhow all that to say this, the only cigarette you dont have to smoke is the next one..dont worry about all of them..just the next one
SudburyBaller

Post by SudburyBaller »

Thanks guys. 4 weeks tomorrow.
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Way to go Suds!

Outstanding...