Breaking Limits: JlCh's log

Unfiltered Tips & Techniques centered around Blueprint Training
JlCh

Post by JlCh »

Feast Day 10

Not a good workout at all today. I really thought I was going to be ready because I felt great recovery wise yesterday.

Workout 4:

Benchpress: 220x6 (spotter used finger tips to help on it)
DB Pullover: 90x6

EDT:
Incline DB Press: 75x6x6x6x6x6x6 (36 reps) Will increase next w/o
1 Arm DB Row: 80x6x6x6x5x5x4

Whole workout was a bad one. There's 1 of 3 things, or perhaps all 3:

1. Lack of diet past 2 days.
2. Needed another day of rest.
3. I'm getting sick.

When I first started warming up I knew I needed another day of rest, but I was already commited due to supps (not going to waste the $$). Weight just wasn't going up easy enough. As far as the diet, I didn't get to eat a whole lot yesterday because of having to fill in for my co-worker and not having meals made in advance for a busy schedule. Today I woke up late and didn't get home till around 10. Took me about 40 minutes to prep my breakfast I was making and just didn't my normal amount of meals in before lifting. As for the sick, I woke up at 4:30 this morning due to a dog whining in my face and I felt my nasal drying up/getting irritated and a stuffy nose when I woke up which generally leads to a very sore throat. I'll start pounding the vit C and hopefully knock it out of my system.

But I warmed up on legs and went to do my sets, did 1 rep of my set and it just wasn't going to happen so I called it quits. I honestly feel quite drained atm. Everything felt to lag behind/stay the same as last workout besides my incline DB went up. At this point I'll be looking to be taking 2 days off before the 5th workout/max day. If I do that workout on Sat, I'll be taking 3 days off and my next workout will follow on Wed. I'll keep this updated on how I feel ect. I also forgot my joint supps this morning and I have to say it made a huge difference, my wrist was hurting a bit more than usual.
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

OK man, the bad news is you had a bad workout. The great news?

You know what to do now! Insert extra recovery days/eat up. Life sucks, but we soldier on. One measure of a great lifter is how they handle bad workouts/successfully rebound.

Something tells me you'll overcome this. In fact, I know you will. If I can assist in any way, do let me know. The AN is only going to get better with time. Witness the objective truth of that, right here...

https://bodybuildingsupplements.com/ ... php?t=1537

DaGymWarrior experienced a verified 56% testosterone increase in 36 days. Where have we heard this before?

Yep, a 55% increase in 27 days. Some guy named "Rob" wrote about this around 8 years ago... :)

https://bodybuildingsupplements.com/adaptogen.html
JlCh

Post by JlCh »

Feast Day 11 (12-1-11):

3 small meals yesterday. House is out of food so I was limited. Prob had ~1800 with around 90-100 G's of protein. Diet was terrible yesterday, but was very busy and need to go grocery shopping.

Feast Day 12 (12-2-11)

When I went to take some pills (magnesium, zinc, multi, vit C) the water started going down wrong pipe and started having a coughing fit. Chest/lungs felt irritated all night as well as some this morning. Hoping it goes away, but only time will tell I guess. Still have a cold running. Had one during my 3.0 run, hopefully this will be my last one this season.

Still fasted and will last as long as I can, but didn't get much food down yesterday so I'm pretty hungry. No cardio for either day because of the cold -- just trying to rest up and get more healthy.
JlCh

Post by JlCh »

Feast Day 13 (12-3-11)

Will be going in for my max here in a few hours. Haven't gotten the greatest of sleep the past 3-4 nights since I got sick. Took a nap yesterday for about 3-4 hours and then go about 6 last night, although the amount of quality sleep prob wasn't there. Had a chick texting me all night asking me to go to the bar and I had to decline, so this day better reap good PR's :p. Will get only 2 meals in prior to my max, but hoping it'll be enough.

Yesterday's weight: 184.6
Today's Weight: 184.4
JlCh

Post by JlCh »

Went in wanting a 255 max on BP.

Feast Workout #5:

Bench Press: 245x1, 255x1, 260x1

Hack squat: 315x1, 325x1, 335xfail

My elbow was giving me issues and I didn't want to push the benchpress anymore. After seeing the vids, I see I'm kinda rushing the lift -- will aim to fix that. I forgot my phone so I had one of the kids at the gym record on his and send it to my phone so the quality turned crappy some where along the lines. It was almost impossible to get the whole bench in the picture. The last lift I got the weight on cam for "proof" so to speak, but it's hard to see due to quality.

245x1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8opq4Q9ahjk

255x1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFaEA5Nrqb4

260x1 (2 45's, 10, 5, 2 1/2)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odFhXVcWN8k

Edit: I think it's pretty obvious that I haven't been able to hit legs well. After the 3rd workout, I was expecting a 350+ max on it and fell very short. As for PR's and what not, I haven't lifted much in a year, but I won't be declaring PR's until I start passing my lifts from last year when I was at my peak. Once I break these I'll be starting PR's which will prob be next workout:

Benchpress: 265x1

Incline DB Press: 80x5x5x5x4x3x3 (25)<-- last rep wasn't quite full ROM, but I'm counting it :p.
1 arm DB rows: 80x6x6x5x5x5x4 (31)

It appears I did break the DB rows PR, but honestly my form isn't the best atm on the later reps.
JlCh

Post by JlCh »

Still sick and elbows are still bugging my from the max day. Hopefully the pain resides, as well as the sickness. Diet hasn't been great but not terrible. Can't wait to for these workout to come along, but I really need to get rid of this sickness -- if I get put out of the gym during beasting it up due to the same reasons I think I may have a breakdown :p.

Weight: 185.4

Took a couple progress pics but noticed I was standing closer to the mirror and that in itself makes me look "bigger". Pretty useless and too lazy to go take more, lol. I know I'm def getting stronger and bigger though, as there's stretch marks appearing on my left armpit by my pec.
JlCh

Post by JlCh »

Feast Day 17 (12-7-2011)

Today's workout killed. My left tricep feel like death.

GLP w/o #1:

Benchpress:
135x10 (called for 130, but I'm lazy LOL) -- 2 minute break (close grip)
140x8 - 2 minute break (wide grip)
160x8 - 2 minute break (close grip)
170x8 - 4 minute break (wide grip)
190x8 - 5 minute break (normal grip)
205x9 (called for 8 reps) - (normal grip)

EDT Set 1 (2 1/2 minutes rest):
Incline DB Press: 75x6x6x6x6x6x6 (36 reps)
1 arm DB press: 80x6x6x6x6x6x6 (36 reps)

OH Seated Shoulder press: 185x3 seconds, 175x4 seconds, 135x8 seconds

EDT Set 2 (2 minute rests):
Dips: 45x6x6x5x4x4 (25 reps)
Underhand Pull ups: BWx6x6x5x4x4 (25 reps, almost 26)

Overall was a good workout and I was drainedddd after first EDT, but decided to take a step out of 3.0 and try out a SH to catch my breath for a 2nd EDT. I'm a bit bummed on the incline DB's as it should've been bumped up to 80's this workout (thought something was off when I hit 6 reps on them all), but was prob a good thing considering I did more volume on bench. I did increase my rest time to 2 1/2 minutes on the first EDT (from 2 min during first 5 w/o') to help with that, but ah well. I got the smith machine safety latches set up so I can use it for OH statics. I just set up the safety latches and put a regular bar on it, but it's the first time I've done it and I gotta get use to it. I over estimated my #'s and the first 2 SH's were too heavy, especially not having a technique of sorts for it. Will hopefully be a good exercise if I can get it worked out, will just build my weight up slowly but surely on it. The 2nd EDT is for emphasis on biceps and triceps. I keep my body pretty straight for the dips. I thought I could get away with weighted on them both, but as I said I was pretty drained after first EDT.

I'm just going to end the post there as I feel like it's going to be 10 pages long lol. Rob, if you read this I'd like your opinion on the set up for these w/o's as I see that I generally naturally move towards your advice whether I want to or not due to what the body says over time. I'll be working out Friday for lower body #1 and then 2 days break over the weekend.
JlCh

Post by JlCh »

Feast day 18:

Fasted today until about 3:30 PM by accident kinda :p. Wanted to get in and do a cardio session at 1-1:30 but forgot my mom tossed clothes in the washer and not in the dryer -- so I had to toss my workout clothes in the dryer before I got to leave. Anywho, got my first cardio in with 14 G amino acids (2 scoops Purple Wraath):

Light stretching

First 5 minutes was a warm up going up to 12 incline and back down at 2-2.5 MPH

5th minute - 9 MPH
6th minute - 2.5 MPH
7th minute - 9 MPH
8th minute - 2.5 MPH
9th minute - 9 MPH
10th minute - 2.5 MPH
11th minute - 9 MPH
12th minute - 2.5 MPH
13th minute - 10 MPH
14th minute - 2.5 MPH
15th minute - 10 MPH

5 minute cool down and followed by a bit longer stretching. Heart rate was around 165 during the first 3 faster intervals and up around 175-18 on the last 2. Not really sure how relevant that is, but will be looking to gradually increase the amount of intervals I due, but I haven't ran at all in like 1 1/2 years so gotta start slow.

Will be looking to go in tomorrow for a lower body GLP session. Weight was a bit weird this morning, and not sure why. Might be due to sweating a bucket load during yesterday's EDT but yea.

Weight: 182.7
JlCh

Post by JlCh »

Feast Day 19 (12-9-11)

GLP Lower #1:

Hack Squat (Leg press):
165x10 - 2 1/2 minute break
175x8 - 3 minute break
200x8 - 3 minute break
215x8 - 4 minute break
235x8 - 5 minute break
255x11 (called for 8 reps) (PR)

EDT (2 minute break):
Front Squat: 135x6x6x6x6x6x6
Hamstring curl: 55x6, 60x6, 65x6x6x6x6

1 minute break between these sets (not super setted):
Rope pull downs (abs): 110x8x8x8

Leg extentions/curls?: Ankle weightsx8x8x8

Top Range Rack pulls SH: 405x8 seconds, 475x8 seconds, 545x5 seconds

When I started the squats I just wasn't really "feeling" it. Felt like I wasn't going to hit my reps so added extra rest time and was super surprised when I hit a clean rep of 8 on the 255 so I just kept going. I'm pretty sure I could've squeezed out another one but had an EDT to bust into and lower back was feeling iffy. I also belted up during front squats after first set because I didn't really want to chance anything. Felt rather awkward on the rack pulls because I live in a small town with a small gym. They don't have a ton of weights there and I basically used all the 45's for the bench presses/other machines. Pretty sure I could've went higher on the rack pulls but there was 2-3 people just sitting around randomly so I think they needed some of the plates LOL.

I really don't think I'll ever like replacing stiff legged deads for hamstring curls. My hams don't feel torn up really at all. I guess a little work is better than none though. Also not sure how to explain the 2nd ab movement, it's a lower ab exercise that I do -- extend legs out and bring them back and pick my hips off the floor and repeat.

Also, I haven't really touched on the subject, but I've still have had a cold this whole time. Hasn't went away yet. I'm not sure if I ever mentioned it, but I always weigh myself after morning pee and before I eat/drink anything and pretty surprised my weight is dropping instead of increasing. I'm not sure if any/much bodyfat is dropping but my strength is going up. Will see how much it is up tomorrow morning to see if it's just food cycling. Anywho, spent too long talking...

Weight: 182.6
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Sorry to be late to the game man!!!

First off, GREAT work! "255x11 (called for 8 reps) (PR)" = Rob Happy :)

Having said that, there are 2 things going on here that are signs. Allow me to share them with you.

You speak to feeling beat up, and having a cold. This is your body BEGGING for more rest between workouts. Heed that advice by insert AT LEAST one extra rest day, between workouts. You may want to consider taking 2-3 days completely off, before resuming with that new schedule.

The other thing I'd like to draw your attention to is this: Where the loading pattern calls for 8 reps - stop at 8 reps!!!!

It's great that you have the drive to push further, but the sets/reps/weight called for result in a VERY precise total tonnage amount. This isn't without thought or reason. It's a very precise way of loading and de-loading the body, so please stay within the confines of what's called for. When you exceed these parameters, little things start cropping up. Things like injuries and depressed immunity... :)

Otherwise, keep up the FANTASTIC work! Body wisdom will come with time, so practice listening to your body. It won't lie to you...
JlCh

Post by JlCh »

Understand completely and I honestly have taken quite a bit of time off. Past 2 weeks have looked like this:

28th - Feast w/o #3
29th - off
30th - Feast w/o #4
1st - off
2nd - off
3rd - Feast w/o #5
4th - off
5th - off
6th - off
7th - GLP Upper #1
8th - 10 min of HIIT (low(er) intensity)
9th - GLP Lower #1
10th - off
11th - off

I have honestly been seeing progress with the cold, but that first half of that GLP upper workout was killer. I'm currently on day 2 of completely off. All but 2 of my "off" days were completely off with nothing additional. If I ever feel the "need" to take 2-3 days off, I won't add anything additional to it.

I was under the impression that the workout(s) were designed to make you fail around the last set and didn't know there'd be negative repercussions to doing more reps. Will keep that in mind.
JlCh

Post by JlCh »

Feast Day 22 (12-12-2011)

GLP Upper W/O #2
:

Benchpress:
135x10 - 2 minute break
160x8 - 2 minute break
170x8 - 2 minute break
190x6 - 4 minute break
205x6 - 5 minute break
220x6

EDT Set 1 (2 minutes rest)
:
Incline DB Press: 80x6x6x6x4x4 (26 reps) last set (PR)
1 arm DB Row: 85x6x6x6x5x5 (28 reps) (PR)

OH Seated Shoulder press: 135x15 seconds, 155x13 seconds

EDT Set 2 (2 minute rests):
Dips: 45x6x6x6x5x4x4 (31 reps)
Underhand Pull ups: 45x4, 35x4, BWx4x5x5x4

K, the rests for first EDT was 2 minutes, but 2nd to last set I took a 2 1/2 min rest because it was feeling like a cardio session. While I was doing the super set for 1 arm DB rows a couple friends were in there that haven't ever seen me lift and all they had to say is "BEAST!" -- which always makes you feel good, even if it wasn't that much weight. Anywho, I went to kick up dumbells for 6th set on the first EDT and the strength just wasn't there to push the weight up, so I stopped there and moved on with the workout. Will aim for a 6th set for next workout. I also feel I could've pushed out 7th rep on the 220, but Rob's advice was to hold back so I did.

I don't like wasting time taking the weight off between dips/pull ups so I tried them weighted and it just wasn't going to happen lol. I tried dropping the weight but that wasn't there either, I think I could do 25's but yea. Anywhoooooo

Pretty confident I'll be hitting PR's on EDT sets on every upper workout for a while. Kind of interested when the weight/reps will stop going up, as every workout they've gone up a few reps. Things I'm noticing is vascularity is starting to go up in my forearms, pumped or not. I've noticed it for the past couple weeks, but today it was very apparent on the 1 arm DB rows. I also forgot to mention my grip strength is increasing as when I was warming up for the rack pulls on the lower workout I could rip heavier weight than I could prior to 2.0 -- I'd say the 1 arm DB rows would be the cause for the increase. And on a completely non related note, I LOVE how tight my shirt gets during my w/o. That's enough jibber jabbering

Weight: 184.6
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

EDT Set 1 (2 minutes rest):
Incline DB Press: 80x6x6x6x4x4 (26 reps) last set (PR)
1 arm DB Row: 85x6x6x6x5x5 (28 reps) (PR)

So happy for you man! :)

RAINING PR's here!!! Now, curious to know when the progress slows? Nothing lasts forever, but here's a little secret. Insert just ONE extra rest day NOW, between workouts. You'll milk this kind of progress a LOT longer!!!

:)
JlCh

Post by JlCh »

Feast Day 24 (12-14-11)

GLP Lower #2:

Hack Squat (Leg press):
165x10 - 2 minute break
200x8 - 2 minute break
215x6 - 3 minute break
225x6 - 4 minute break (Was suppose to be 235, but spaced off putting the weight on)
255x6 - 5 minute break
275x6 - (PR) (previous 275x5)

EDT (2 minute break):
Front Squat: 135x6x6x6x6x6x6
Hamstring curl: 60x6, 65x6x6x6x6x6

1 minute break between these sets (not super setted):
Rope pull downs (abs): Full rack x8x8 --
Hydrolic Ab Machine Static Hold: Just kept increasing weight until I couldn't hold

Ab extentions/curls?: Ankle weightsx8x8x8

Top Range Rack pulls SH: 545x10 seconds, 595x6 seconds (PR)

K, to touch on last upper workout, I didn't notice until today when I was getting the %'s for today's workout and realized I did 2 additional reps on 3rd set for upper workout on accident (and to think I didn't do extra due to Rob's advice :().

Back to today's workout, I'm noticing I'm becoming a space cadet during EDT sets. I think I need to bring a journal or something so I can keep track of how many sets I do as once my mind starts wandering I become a moron and can't remember which set I'm on. Today could've been 5 sets or 6 sets, really am not sure =/. I had a bit of an excuse today, as there's this dude that I think got the wrong impression here a couple months ago. This guy walked in with a chick and I noticed he had a pretty cool tattoo on his calf, when he saw me looking I just kinda said hey to keep it from getting awkward but he seems to have taken it the wrong way. He kept checking me out during that day and when he left he smiled real big and told me to have a good night. Every time he sees me now he cracks a big smile and tonight he was in the gym and continually found exercises to do in front of me trying to make eye contact. Now, I'm not homophobic or anything and I have no clue if he's actually gay or not, but it puts me in a pretty awkward position lol.

Anywho, enough with gym stories and back to the good stuff. Went into the gym tonight looking to hit 600 on rack pulls. Went to pull 595 and didn't budge, had to reset, take a new breath and pulled -- it came up. Glad to see the # is going up, but always awkward putting on so many plates. 2 new PR's, so even with the space cadet, left the gym a stronger man and overall happy. I'm not really sure if I should be hitting PR's with the GLP reps though -- is this common with anyone else? Wrapping it up there.

Weight: 184.8