Dragon

Dragon's First BP Run

Post by Dragon »

First Run

Famine
Start Date: Tuesday, January 17
-Weight 155 lbs @ 10% bodyfat
-Height 5'9.5"

It's amazing how weak I am after a couple of months of inactivity due to my lower back injury. During my first workout I did back squats and my lower back felt great. In fact I can feel all the soreness in my quads which is a great sign. I used fairly light weights, but honestly, I felt very weak and didn't want to re-injure myself trying to be a hero. I finished cardio but only had enough in me to do 15 minutes as opposed to the hour specified in 2.0. What I will probably do next workout is split the routine into two smaller but more intense workouts.

It's now only day 2 of famine and I haven't tested my urine with the multistix (which I have in the bathroom) but I already smell ammonia in my urine! I know the smell well from my days of training for long distance races.

My diet so far has consisted of a juices. Mostly organic green vegetable juices, apple juice, watermelon, lemon, cabbage, watercress, radish etc. For lunch I've been having about half a box of bran cereal with milk and a cabbage/watermelon juice. I did cheat and have one slice of plain pizza tonight, but I was just sick of the f!@#ing juices.

This is not going to be easy. I can't wait till famine is over so I can have a steak.

BTW, I get the feeling that Ori Hofmekler's CFT would fit the bill nicely during this phase.
Jacos5

Post by Jacos5 »

Had the same problem. Had a 245 max bench, hurt my wrist mountain biking and dropped to 225. But at least we know what we're capable of. Good luck with your run man.

Btw, tomorrow will be my last day of famine and I'm sure the sight of a salad will send me packing. Hang in there!
Dragon

Famine End

Post by Dragon »

Today is my last day of famine and weight loss has pretty much been a pound a day so I'm down to 152 lbs.

I made some changes though, based on how I felt things were going. Basically, I did my last two workouts back to back without a day off. I followed the program as described by Rob in 2.0, added some cardio and viola, my multistix strip showed 2 good signs.

1. I was excreting a decent amount of protein and 2. I actually went from very acidic to somewhere in the 7.0 range of PH. By the way, I used an old apple cider vinegar trick to alkalize my body in such a short time.

My diet has been vegetable juices of various sorts. And today, I've just been resting, fasting and drinking a gallon full of detox tea. I had one egg with a very minuscule amount of ground beef but thats it.

Now I really have to make a decision about which program I'm going to follow. I think the periodic is great for size and strength but might be too long to run for a first attempt. I'm leaning towards the super squats program because of the duration, simplicity and emphasis on progression and intensity that should set a standard for training. I've never done a program like it so I'm almost sure I'll grow.

As far as the gallon of milk a day is concerned. I'm lactose intolerant, but I'm sure some lactase enzymes will take care of that.
Dragon

PR during 5 workout bridge!

Post by Dragon »

I've been following everything pretty much blow for blow and I've noticed a dramatic strength increase already in such a short time. I have one more work out and then its on the GLP1. By the way, I'm currently squating 205lbs which is a record for me. Never did that much before. I know I'm supposed to go to failure on squats but I have not been doing that because there is really no safe way for me to do that at my current gym. I always leave a little in the tank when squatting for safety's sake until I can invest in the ironmind belt.

Workouts 1 and 2 I kept mental records which i'll never do again. But you will find 3 and 4 numbers posted below. These numbers are AFTER warm up of course. I took 3 days rest between workout 3 and 4 because I really needed it. I was still a bit sore.

WORK OUT 3 Feb 3
Bench Press 155 x 8 reps
Squat 200 x 7

EDT BLOCK 1
Dumbell row 50 lbs
Incline Bench Press 50 lbs
total time 17:30

EDT BLOCK 2
Leg Press 270 lbs
RDL 95 lbs
total time 16:00

WORK OUT 4 Feb 5
Bench Press 185 x 7 reps
Squat 205 x 9

EDT BLOCK 1
Seated row 160 lbs
Incline Bench Press 50 lbs
total time 15:00

EDT BLOCK 2
Leg Press 270 lbs
RDL 95 lbs
total time 15:00

ACCESSORY WORK Feb 6
Today I went back in the gym and did a LITTLE extra core work such as standing cable crunches, back extensions (gently with no weight) and good mornings with just the bar. I also threw in 10 mins of cardio... nothing crazy.

I've been tracking my weakness in the squats and noticed a tendency to sit back a bit too much which suggest core and quad weakness relative to the other parts. So I think today should help prepare for the 5th workout. I'll probably take 3 days rest instead of 2 also. I'm a small guy and I need it.

Some things to keep in mind about the dramatic increase in numbers is technique improvement (or maybe I'm underestimating this program). I was experiencing sharp pain in my shoulder after the second workout so I decided to watch a video called "so you think you can bench press" someone suggested to me. They have a vid about squatting by the same name. Anyways, those REALLY helped because I don't feel that pain when I bench and now I know why.

I should note that the numbers on my first workout were around 135 on Bench Press and definitely a shaky 185 on squats. Pretty big jump in numbers from then till now IMO.
JlCh

Post by JlCh »

Awesome to have you. The first 5 workouts are huge for gains -- no one ever believes you either until they try it themselves.
Dragon

5 workout bridge

Post by Dragon »

I haven't been posting consistently but I've certainly been keeping up with my work outs.

Even-though I did the five workout bridge into 3.0 it was a good move because it allowed me to get an assessment of my max on the lifts which I will need in 3.0 anyways. It also let me build back a bit of strength in a relatively small amount of time, and add accessory workouts to help bolster my main lifts and and build the muscles around the injury a bit. During the bridge I broke squat pr twice. I think it had something to do with realizing that I couldn't improve my squat by squatting more. (Hint: accessory work on off days and an extra day of rest)

February 11
Last workout of Bridge

Bench Press Warm up: 95 lbs. x 5 reps, 105x7, 126x8, 136x9

Bench Press: 185x6 (keep in mind that last year I could only lift the bar)

Squat warm up: 135 lbs. x 10 reps, 155x9, 185x6

Squat: 210 lbs. x 10 PR

EDT BLOCK 1

Cable Row = CR
Incline Dumbbell Press = IDP

Weight used on CR = 100 lbs.
Weight used on IDP = two 60 lbs. dumbells for 120 lbs. total

Rest between Supersets is 2 minutes

CR 6 reps
IDP 6 reps

CR 6
IDP 6

CR 5
IDP 4

CR 4
IDP 3

CR 2
IDP 6

CR 2
IDP 4

Total time = 17:43.8

EDT BLOCK 2

Leg Press = LP
Single Leg Alternate Side Deadlift = SLD

Weight used on LP = 270 lbs.
Weight used on IDP = one 35 lbs. dumbell

Rest between Supersets is 2 minutes

LP 6 reps
SLD 1 rep per side ( I REALLY struggled here at first, harder than it looks)

LP 6
SLD 2

LP 5
SLD 5

LP 5
SLD 5

LP 3
SLD 3

Total time = 17:28
Dragon

Workout 1 of 3.0

Post by Dragon »

3.0 workout 1
February 15

STATIC HOLD

Decline Bench:
1) 225 lbs. - 15 sec
2) 245 lbs. - 6 sec

EDT BLOCK 1

dips = D
1 arm dumbbell row = 1DB

Weight used on D = 25 lbs.
Weight used on 1DB = 65 lbs.

D - 6 reps
1DB - 6 reps

D - 6
1DB -6

D - 5
1DB - 5

D - 4
1DB - 4

D - 3
1DB - 3

D - 3
1DB - 3

D - 2
1DB - 2

D - 1
1DB - 1

Total time = 16:10

STATIC HOLD

Seated Barbell Press
1) 135 lbs - 10 sec
2) 195 lbs - 6 sec

EDT BLOCK 2

Incline DB Curl with 25 lbs.
Overhead triceps extension with 45 lbs.

I logged this on my ipod and this sections seems to be erased but I'm sure I stopped around 15 minutes. It's a shame I don't have this but I finally started bringing a clip board with everything laid out.
Dragon

3.0 workout #2

Post by Dragon »

workout 2
February 18

STATIC HOLD
Top Range Rack Pull

1) 275 lbs. - 10 sec
2) 295 lbs. - 8 sec

EDT BLOCK 1

Barbell squat with 190 lbs.
Lying hamstring curl with 45 lbs.

BBS - 6 reps
LHC - 6 reps

BBS - 5
LHC - 5

BBS - 6
LHC - 6

BBS - 5
LHC - 5

BBS - 5
LHC - 5

Total time = 19:15

STATIC HOLD

Seated Calf Raise
1) 90 lbs. - 10 sec
2) 90 lbs. 10 sec

EDT BLOCK 2

weighted cable crunch with 120 lbs.
hyperextensions with 25 lbs.

WCC - 6 reps
HE - 6 reps

WCC - 5
HE - 5

WCC - 6
HE - 6

WCC - 5
HE - 5

WCC - 6
HE - 6

Total time 18:13
Dragon

3.0 workout number 3

Post by Dragon »

Workout 3
February 21

Decline Static hold
1) 225 for 10 sec
2)225 for 10 sec

EDT BLOCK 1

Dips with bodyweight
1 arm db rows with 55 lbs

5 supersets with 6 reps each completed in 15:16

Seated Barbell Press Static Hold
1) 145 for 14 sec
2)160 for 8 sec

EDT BLOCK 2

Incline db curl with 27.5 lbs
Overhead tri extension with 45 lbs

IDBC 6
OTE 6

IDBC 6
OTE 6

IDBC 6
OTE 6

IDBC 5
OTE 6

IDBC 5
OTE 5

IDBC 5
OTE 5

Total time is 15:42
Dragon

3.0 workout 4

Post by Dragon »

Workout 4
February 24

Top Range Rack Pull static hold
1) 315 for 5 sec
2) 315 for 5 sec

might be too much weight right now
Poor form here

EDT BLOCK 1

Barbell Squat with 205 lbs
Hamstring Curl 60 lbs

BBS 6
HC 6

BBS 6
HC 5

BBS 6
HC 5

BBS 5
HC 4

BBS 4
HC 4

BBS 3
HC 4

total = 15:36

seated calf raise static hold
1) 140 lbs. 6 sec
2) 140 lbs. 10 sec

Romanian Deadlift: 145 lbs. x 10

EDT BLOCK 2

Cable crunch with 130 lbs
Hyperextensions with 25 lbs plate

CC 6
HE 6

CC 6
HE 6

CC 6
HE 6

CC 6
HE 6

CC 6
HE 6

Total = 13:55
Dragon

Post by Dragon »

Today I was a bit of cardio. I'm up to 10 min on HIIT cardio on the recumbent bike. I followed up with some cable crunches with much less weight than I do on leg days followed my non weighted hyperextension and just 5 glute ham raises.

I need to get ready to get back to the dojo!

So far my biggest struggle has been to make sure I'm eating enough. Sometimes I don't feel I eat enough.

On the plus side a girl came up to me at work and said "you're getting kinda big".

Little shit like that is gratifying because she doesn't (didn't) know I was working out but that means it's noticable!!

I have a few XF pills left and when its done I won't be buying more.

I feel like bambi on this stuff. Wobbly knees and achy too. For me, it's not worth it because I'm doing this for health reasons too!
Dragon

3.0 workout 5

Post by Dragon »

Workout 5
Decline Bench Press Static Hold
1) 225 for 9 sec
2) 225 for 8 sec

EDT 1

Dip with bodyweight
1 arm db row with 60 lbs.

D 6 reps
DBR 6 reps

D 6
DBR 6

D 10
DBR 6

D 22
DBR 4

D 20
DBR 4

D 17
DBR 4

D 17
DBR 6

Total time = 20:12

I only used bodyweight on the dips but there was no harness at the gym.
Either way I'm getting the hand of the EDT. I really felt this particular EDT.
It felt right.

Seated Barbell Press Static Hold
1) 135 for 10 s
2) 135 for 15 s

EDT 2

Incline curl with 35 lbs dumbbells
Overhead Tri extension with 50 lbs

IC 6 reps
OTE 6 reps

IC 4
OTE 6

IC 4
OTE 6

IC 3
OTE 5

IC 3
OTE 5

IC 2
OTE 4

IC 2
OTE 3

Total time= 16:43

I did some additional core work such as cable crunches both standing and kneeling, body weight hyper-extensions and planks from all sides.

I don't know if I'm over doing it, but I'm realizing its important for me to have a strong core to increase my squat.
Dragon

Cardio

Post by Dragon »

HIIT on recumbant bike for 15 minutes - really takes strain off lower back.

I spent an additional 10 minutes stretching:

psoas stretch
groin, adductors
Hamstring and quads
Shoulders
Lower back

To facilitate proper form, control and safety I use a machine called PRECOR STRETCH TRAINER. An amazing and under used machine at my gym imo. I use this machine to traction the lower back.

I followed with a few cycles of abdominal breathing.
Dragon

Flu

Post by Dragon »

I had a bit of a set back and was hit with some kind of gastroenteritis. I threw up a bit and was in bed for 1 whole day. As such, may calorie intake suffered a bit (a lot). The best I could do was add some protein powder to my apple juice.

I took some homeopathic stuff called oscillococcinum and that actually seemed to work! I was wondering if the illness was a sign to move over to cruise? But now that I'm better I actually feel like I needed the rest.