Rebooting Alex

Unfiltered Tips & Techniques centered around Blueprint Training
alangley

Rebooting Alex

Post by alangley »

Hey everyone,

Recently hired Rob to design a custom RECOMP program for me.

I tore my ACL last July, and that being the 3rd injury I gave to that knee playing Gaelic Football like I do (it's like rugby or soccer, great Irish sport).....I had surgery in September to reconstruct the ACL, FCL and repair the lateral meniscus.

Needless to say, I've DECOMP'D into a fatty, and need to get back and do it right.

I am a legit 3.0 subscriber :-) and wrapping up the FAMINE phase of my recomp. Lost 6 pounds this week, and waking heart rate is up, as expected, from 64bpm average to 70bpm.

My schedule is weird, so "Monday/Wednesday/Friday" becomes "Monday or Tuesday", "Wednesday or Thursday", "Friday or Saturday or Sunday". Just depends on how things go at work.

I have a pretty good oly weight setup, rack and bench at home, plus Powerblocks, chinning bar, etc. Also have a gym membership and do cardio there.

Very excited to see how this RECOMP goes. Biggest differences from the "Standard 3.0" are that, due to my knee surgery, I am not going to do Barbell Squats or other heavy full-body lifts. Diet is also being modified to CKD. So we're going for RECOMPed yet strong.

I generally enjoy heavy lifting in the Fall/Winter here in Minnesota, then transition to the outdoor field/team sport of Gaelic Football. However, looks like at 42 years old, I'm going to transition to full time referee and retire from fullback :-) That's fine with me, though I will miss playing the sport.

So, that's my intro.

Like I said, famine has been going well, I believe. I plan to log stats and workouts here, starting with pre-famine measurements and go from there.
alangley

Starting Stats

Post by alangley »

These were right before starting Famine:

Code: Select all

Height     5'9"
BW         210
BF%        25%  :-( 7-point caliper method
Neck	    18.25
Shoulder   51
Chest	   45
Navel	   42   :-(
Belt	    39.5 :-(
Thigh	   24.75
Hip	     41.5
Calf       15.5
RUA        15.5
RFA	     12.5
Since starting FAMINE, weight is down to 203. Very eager to start FEAST tomorrow.

Before my knee injury, Bench was 200, Squat 405, DL about the same, but wasn't really strength training consistently due to traveling and preparing for Gaelic Football.

At this point, I've resigned myself to the fact that I want to still be part of the club as REF and PRO, but not a player, and focus more on strength for decades to come, because I love being strong. Since I am not to run long distance or hard anymore, seems that fate has told me what's up. Can't serve 2 masters.
alangley

Update

Post by alangley »

Sorry for lack of posts, everyone. Have been busy with 6 day work week, concert, and been sick for a few days.

Made it through famine, and the first week of Feast, and the first workout of week 2.

Summary: determined Bench Press 1RM at 220, not bad for a long time untrained and not training in general due to knee injury, surgery and recovering.

Finding it hard to get the prescribed amount of calories on this low carb diet. Of course, not a problem when carbing up on the weekends. Had first carb up last weekend, ate lot's of potatoes.

Will enter the logs soon, left the logbook at home today. Planning second workout of Feast Week 2 tonight!

I am getting over a cold, will try not to push it too hard.

For Cardio: got a magnetic resistance trainer for my mountain bike after my surgeon cleared me for "hitting the bike hard" and also to do barbell squats again in the 15-20 rep range (music to my ears).

Any questions or suggestions on how to improve this journal, let me know! Thanks for reading!
alangley

Post-Famine Measurements

Post by alangley »

These are from after the Famine was completed.

Height     5'9"
BW         206 (down 4#)
BF%        23% (down 2%)
Neck	    16.75 (down 1.5)
Shoulder   50.5 (down 0.5)
Chest	   44.5 (down 0.5)
Navel	   40 (down 2)
Belt	    38.5 (down 1)
Thigh	   25.5 (up 1.25)
Hip	     41.5 (no change)
Calf       15.5 (no change)
RUA        15.5 (no change)
RFA	     12.5 (no change)
Was pretty nice to see these changes over the course of planning and Famine for this BP3.0 RECOMP.

Planning to take another set of measurements right before the coming carb-up.
RobRegish

Re: Post-Famine Measurements

Post by RobRegish »

alangley wrote:These are from after the Famine was completed.

Height     5'9"
BW         206 (down 4#)
BF%        23% (down 2%)
Neck	    16.75 (down 1.5)
Shoulder   50.5 (down 0.5)
Chest	   44.5 (down 0.5)
Navel	   40 (down 2)
Belt	    38.5 (down 1)
Thigh	   25.5 (up 1.25)
Hip	     41.5 (no change)
Calf       15.5 (no change)
RUA        15.5 (no change)
RFA	     12.5 (no change)
Was pretty nice to see these changes over the course of planning and Famine for this BP3.0 RECOMP.

Planning to take another set of measurements right before the coming carb-up.
SWEET!

The hard part is OVER. Train to Gainsville is leaving the station.

GREAT work... :)