tranquilChas First Run 2.0

Unfiltered Tips & Techniques centered around Blueprint Training
tranquilChaos

tranquilChas First Run 2.0

Post by tranquilChaos »

Hi everyone - pumped to be on-board! I picked-up BP this weekend and started famine this week (Monday). I got 2.0 and 3.0 in the same deal, and 2.0 was much easier to understand and follow, so I'm starting there. My plan is just to dive in and learn as I go from the text and all of you and take on more advanced concepts each cycle. So, here are my stats:

38 years old
Training off-and-on for 10+ years, only seriously for the last 1 1/2 year
Starting weight: 241.8
Bodyfat: Not sure, but too much

Famine - 7/15 - 719

Monday
=================
Weight: 241.8

Breakfast: Fruit and veggie juice (8 carrots, some blueberries) ~100 calories
Lunch: 1 raw Tomato, handful of blackberries ~35 cal
Pre-workout: 1 large orange ~71 cal
Post-workout: 1 raw sweet pepper ~5 cal
Supplement: Animal Pak ~20cal

Total: 221 calories

Tuesday
=================
Weight: 237.6

Breakfast: Grapes 100 cal
Lunch: 1 raw tomato, handful of blackberries ~35 cal
Snack: Orange ~71 cal
Dinner: mojito quinoa salad ~150 cal

Total: 356 Calories

Wednesday
=================
Weight: 235.6

Breakfast: juice (apple, pineapple, strawberry, kale, spinach) ~ 200 cal
Lunch: 1 Orange - 71 cal
Snack: 3 california roll sushi - 90 cal
Dinner: 3 California roll sushi - 90 cal

451 calories
tranquilChaos

Post by tranquilChaos »

Forgot supplements:

I usually use much more, but trying to leverage the power of BP to cut my supp usage down. For the first run, I'm just using what I have. For my future runs I will switch to the recommended products. But for now:

Famine:
Animal Pak multis

Feast + Cruise:
Fish oil
Universal Animal Pak multis
Healthy N Fit Anabolic Muscle protein
Healthy N Fit Nature's Sterol
Universal Beef Aminos
bigpelo

Post by bigpelo »

I don't want to be rude but the phase is call famine but it's not a crash diet! You are eating too few calories per day which will make gaining traction back during feast very hard. Mainly, you should be eating the same as usual less the protein...

Also, drop the animal pak! They are low quality vitamins and minerals. Better and cheaper options are available.

How are the workouts going? What is your waking heart rate? You are already +5 lbs down in 3 days. Not sure it's a good thing.
tranquilChaos

Post by tranquilChaos »

bigpelo wrote:I don't want to be rude but the phase is call famine but it's not a crash diet! You are eating too few calories per day which will make gaining traction back during feast very hard. Mainly, you should be eating the same as usual less the protein...

Also, drop the animal pak! They are low quality vitamins and minerals. Better and cheaper options are available.

How are the workouts going? What is your waking heart rate? You are already +5 lbs down in 3 days. Not sure it's a good thing.
Excellent. Not rude, just the feedback I was hoping for!

I do feel out of sorts, lethargic. I did a workout Monday and Tuesday (upper, lower) rested Wednesday and had planned a Thursday and Friday (upper, lower again) if possible. Monday was a little tough, Tuesday was exhausting and I'm still sore from both. My usual routine is Upper/Lower/Upper/Lower/Upper/Rest/Rest. So, I wanted to go to a 2-on/off/2-on/2-off split to transition into the BP routines. That would put my feast starting Friday night/Saturday morning, a good 48-72 hours of eating and resting before starting the routines Monday or Tuesday.

So, if I up my calories a little today (Thursday), back to normal range minus the protein, will that get me back on track for feast Saturday? I know the BP specifies calorie target, but it also says the lower the calories the better, and that's what I was shooting for. I will run by the store on my way back to work this afternoon and grab some more sushi and nuts or something to snack on to get my calorie count up a little today.

I actually like the Animal Pak because it helps me with a health issue oddly. I've had a weak stomach for years and for some reason this specific supplement takes care of it. Not sure if there are other multis that might do the same. I'll search around. Thanks for the advice.

I haven't tracked my heart rate. I kind of jumped-in using the 2.0 guide and thought I would do it "organically" on my first run to get a feel for the process. That's probably the wrong answer, but the whole thing seemed overwhelming so just diving in and getting it close then tightening it down on each repeat seemed like the best strategy.

Oh and on the weight loss - I didn't post this morning's weigh-in which puts it around 8lbs. I generally factor +-5lbs, so at least 3lb drop. I have a lot of body fat, so not too concerned, but I'm definitely going to grab some more calories today.

Thanks for the guidance here.
FatBoySlimFast

Post by FatBoySlimFast »

If I were you I would quit famine as of now, and take from now through to Sunday as rest days, while eating as normal.

Take these three days to read through BP again so as you have a better understanding of what is required.

Upon waking Friday, Saturday and Sunday morning measure your waking heart rate, the average will be your baseline.
You will need this when you start famine.

On Monday start famine again but shoot for around 8 x your body weight in cals, so 235x8=1904 cals or there about.

Continue to take your waking heart rate every morning, you should see this increasing with the stress famine puts your body under.
Goal is to elevate it to at least 8 bpm over your baseline, and then you're ready to start the feast phase.
bigpelo

Post by bigpelo »

FatBoySlimFast wrote:If I were you I would quit famine as of now, and take from now through to Sunday as rest days, while eating as normal.

Take these three days to read through BP again so as you have a better understanding of what is required.

Upon waking Friday, Saturday and Sunday morning measure your waking heart rate, the average will be your baseline.
You will need this when you start famine.

On Monday start famine again but shoot for around 8 x your body weight in cals, so 235x8=1904 cals or there about.

Continue to take your waking heart rate every morning, you should see this increasing with the stress famine puts your body under.
Goal is to elevate it to at least 8 bpm over your baseline, and then you're ready to start the feast phase.
That!

You should lose around 5 pound over the 5 days of famine and have around 8 bpm more of waking heart rate. Protein should be kept at max 50 g per day.

I think you have already went too far in the calorie restriction and training intensity and you should push the reset button. I would forget next monday though, too close from this try out. Regain a state of homeostatis before re-trying. Read the stickies on this forum also, in the diet and training section. There are templates for famine diet and training that have proven to work time and time again.
tranquilChaos

Post by tranquilChaos »

Thanks guys! I'll eat normal this weekend and reset. Argh!
FatBoySlimFast

Post by FatBoySlimFast »

On second thoughts, I'd have to agree with BigPelo I would take a FULL WEEK off to recover and reset.

I know you're probably very keen to get started but rushing into it half blind won't be the most productive way to achieve maximum gains.

Use this time off to read, re-read and digest everything, anything you don't understand just ask, people here will try to help :)