First run for the money

Unfiltered Tips & Techniques centered around Blueprint Training
jmoney18

First run for the money

Post by jmoney18 »

Whats Up Blueprint Nation. New to the blueprint so to keep myself honest and hopefully get your feedback. I’m gonna try aandd start keepin a regular log.
Alittle background. 24 years old been lifting for years. Classic endomorph, I put on weight fast and have trouble ever really looking that lean. Weight over the last couple years has been from 180 aall thhe way down to 160. At the begging of summer before my cut I was 180 (way to much fat then I care to carry) and my big three were BP-335, SQ 365 DL 505. I’m definetly hip/leg dominate so I really want to focus my energy improving my back/traps. So any suggestions for edt blocks or which lift to focus on to go along with BP during GLP 1 would be great (I was thinking rack pulls).
Took some significant time off from lifting/lost some weight so strength is way down but im sure it will come back fast

Currently on day 11 of Feast and just completed work out #3.
Start of famine-165
End of Famine-161.4
Current weight-168
Arms 16
Chest 40
Waist (Widest part) 32
Thighs 23

Goal- Gain size. Going to be doing GLP 1 with edt blocks. Still not sure e on what edtt pairings to use. Any ideas? Also would not mind adding as much volume as possible.

Diet- I have become a nutrition nut over the last couple months trying too figure out how to reach my goals. I honestly do not have a issue with eating bad food (haven’t head fast food or a bag of chips in like 5 years) I just have no off switch, im pretty sure im the only person in the world who gets fat off of chicken breast and broccoli. I weigh most of my meals now and keep meticulous notes of everything I eat. I’ve been following a carb back load approach where I eat protein and fat in the morning and then a majority of my cals plus all my carbs in the 2 hour window post workout. I really want to minimalize fat gain soo I figured id give this a try. Haven’t really seen much difference in body comp though.

Heres alittle rundown on my diet. Workout days gonna aim for 3000 cals and off days 2200. Keep it clean usually lean meat, eggs and chicken for protein. CC oil, almonds, and evoo for fats. Rice, potatoes, and oats for carbs. Sometimes ill have a whole pint of fat free frozen yogurt post gym though. Keeps me sane. Supplements are just MPS,whey, and creatine.

Heres how Ive been structuring my famine/feastworkoutdays/feastoffdays
10/04/2013 Day 1 Famine- Cal-1303 P-032 C-207 F-52 Fruit veggies and oats
10/09/2013 Day 1 Feast- Cal-2506 P-251 C-225 F-68
10/12/2013 Day 4 Feast Workout 1 of bridge- Cal-3006 P-207 C-415 F-52
10/18/2013 Day 10 Feast off Day- Cal-2200 P-228 C-194 F-53

Rob what macro break down/type of diet do you think works best for clean bulking. Do you think the 400 grams of high Gi carbs in that 2 hour post workout window is optimal or do you think it could lead to fat spill over? Also what is your opinion on off day carbs type/amount/best time for them.

Will post pictures later this week when I get some time a

Hopefully on the road to Gainsville

Joe
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Rob what macro break down/type of diet do you think works best for clean bulking. Do you think the 400 grams of high Gi carbs in that 2 hour post workout window is optimal or do you think it could lead to fat spill over? Also what is your opinion on off day carbs type/amount/best time for them.

For an endo, I'd recommend 40% Carbs, 30% Protein and 30% healthy fats BUT here's the key: Get MOST of those carbs for the day in the 2 hours post workout. So yes, you're on the right track!

Off days I'd cut carbs and calories in half, to facilitate the zig-zag approach. Won't be easy and a bit more severe than the typical plan we use, but will work wonders for the endomorph.

400 grams of carbs post workout may be a bit much, but try it first - you may be pleasantly surprised! If it doesn't work, dial it back by 100g. You'll find your threshold in short order!
jmoney18

Post by jmoney18 »

RobRegish wrote:Rob what macro break down/type of diet do you think works best for clean bulking. Do you think the 400 grams of high Gi carbs in that 2 hour post workout window is optimal or do you think it could lead to fat spill over? Also what is your opinion on off day carbs type/amount/best time for them.

For an endo, I'd recommend 40% Carbs, 30% Protein and 30% healthy fats BUT here's the key: Get MOST of those carbs for the day in the 2 hours post workout. So yes, you're on the right track!

Off days I'd cut carbs and calories in half, to facilitate the zig-zag approach. Won't be easy and a bit more severe than the typical plan we use, but will work wonders for the endomorph.

400 grams of carbs post workout may be a bit much, but try it first - you may be pleasantly surprised! If it doesn't work, dial it back by 100g. You'll find your threshold in short order!
Thanks Rob. Little bit of an update. Been running glp 1 and havent missed a rep/workout yet. Also have hit my macros every day. 3000 cals on wo days and 2000 on off days. Im on day 26 of feast and somehow have only gained 1 lb since the start the BP.

Do you think I should try and add some volume to my workouts or increase my calories?
bigpelo

Post by bigpelo »

Be caution with weight loss/gain! If doing calorie and carb zig-zag, you might have gain muscles and lost fat at the same time. Are you tracking waist/arm/neck/etc circumferences? Taking skin thickness with calipers? Or look in the mirror?

Increasing calories would stop fat loss process for sure if it's what's going on. Adding volume could hinder recovery. How does the rest of your workouts look like? EDT blocks, static contraction training,etc...
jmoney18

Post by jmoney18 »

My plan was to do a clean bulk so I actually haven't zig-zagged my calories at all. I took measurements at the beginning, and I plan on measuring again this Sunday when i head home from school, I guess ill be able to see whats going on then. I feel like its hard for me to see any major changes in the mirror but I haven't noticed any fat gain and strength has been going up. Hit a 285 double today on bench after only being able to get it for one 4 weeks ago.

I have been doing 2 EDT blocks on bench day and 1 edt block on squat day. I haven't been adding stretches to bench day because it kills my shoulders, but have on leg days.

I kinda feel lazy with the 1 on 2 off format. Was thinking about maybe adding a shoulder/bi/tri/ab day to get to 4 workouts a week.
bigpelo

Post by bigpelo »

jmoney18 wrote: Also have hit my macros every day. 3000 cals on wo days and 2000 on off days.
That's calorie zig-zag :wink:

I am not the trainer here but my advise would be to add a conditioning based workout per week if you feel like doing more. Look into tabata 20-10, timed circuit and/or rep based body weight circuit. You could also do sled or hill sprint runs if you live in good climate...
jmoney18

Post by jmoney18 »

bigpelo wrote:
jmoney18 wrote: Also have hit my macros every day. 3000 cals on wo days and 2000 on off days.
That's calorie zig-zag :wink:

I am not the trainer here but my advise would be to add a conditioning based workout per week if you feel like doing more. Look into tabata 20-10, timed circuit and/or rep based body weight circuit. You could also do sled or hill sprint runs if you live in good climate...
Lol I mean that I haven't reduced my calories the way 3.0 calls for. And wouldn't the added conditioning be conterproductive for a weight gain cycle?
bigpelo

Post by bigpelo »

jmoney18 wrote:wouldn't the added conditioning be conterproductive for a weight gain cycle?
I find out it's the contrary for myself. An healthy heart, capable lungs and a high metabolism help muscle gain through higher density during high volume training (read EDT blocks will be easier, or you will do more work with what seems an equal effort). That's the kind of explanation I wish my English skills would be better. :(
jmoney18

Post by jmoney18 »

So I just finished my last workout for the GLP 1 loading pattern.

Finished with a 305 bench and 315 squat. I probably could of done more but I didn't have a spotter so I went with lifts I know i could get. For my edt blocks I improved my reps every single workout out so I am pretty pleased.

Over the course of feast I somehow only gained 4 pounds. I have pictures but need to find a way to post them. I can't notice any real fat gain so I want to continue to lean bulk. Thinking i should raise my calories. What program do guys think i should do next?

Joe
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Look into taking a week off, and continuing with GLP2. In other words, The BP Periodic, found on page 60 of 2.0... :)
jmoney18

Post by jmoney18 »

Wooooooo got my MPS and ready for my 2nd run. Going to be doing 3.0 really trying to get leaner.

It's day 3 of famine and im feeling really shitty. Down 3 lbs to 171.6.
jmoney18

Post by jmoney18 »

Thank god famine is over. Woke up yesterday down to 169 so lost a lb a day. Ended up hurting my back leg pressing because I was to exhausted to warm up correctly. Next time I run famine probably won't try to half ass wworkout 3

First day of feast getting a solid 3000 k. Because I'm trying to cut I'm not going crazy with the calories