German Loading Phase

Learn, share, ADVANCE. Bodybuilding, Sports & Endurance Training Tips & Discussion
Retrotiger

German Loading Phase

Post by Retrotiger »

Ok. I understand this now.

It's basically the same workout in the Famine Phase. Including all the EDT Blocks.

Questions so far:

1. Can I replace Squats with Leg Press?

2. I don't have the machine for Leg Sled, what's the best alternative to it?

3. For the stretch movements, it says 6-8 rep range but not to failure. So if the first set of Workout #1 in GLP looks like 50%x10. Is it 6-8 rep range x 10 reps?

I'm sorry if it's confusing.
bigpelo

Post by bigpelo »

First off: German loading pattern is not like famine workouts. Not sure what you want to know but here's my answers to your questions:

1. yes but it's not as effective

2. Leg sled = leg press, alternative could be hack squat...

3. Take a weight that you would normally reach failure by the 10th rep and do only 6-8 reps with that weight (for the stretch movements only). The 50% x 10 reps is for the core movement. Take your absolute 1 rep max weight, multiply by 50% (so half of it) and aim for 10 reps. The stretch movement should follow in a superset fashion.

Example: your absolute best 1 rep max on bench is 300 lbs and you can do 100 lbs on pull over for 9-10 reps. Your set will look like this:

Bench press: 150 lbs aiming for 10 reps (core movement)
superset with
Dumbbell pullover: 100 lbs aiming for 6 to 8 reps, not taken to failure (stretch movement)

Hope that helps.
Retrotiger

Post by Retrotiger »

1. I was really seeing some very good improvement in basketball when I'm doing squats/front squats. I was amazed how I increased my leaping ability. So maybe I'll be doing this more. Problem is my lower back, I always have some great pain and soreness.

2. Leg Press is my thing. I wouldn't replace it with anything. I'm doing 550 x 1. While all of my other exercises are weak.

3. Ok. So the stretch movements will still be at the optimum weight? Ok. I got it now. Thanks bigpelo.
Big.jazayrli

Post by Big.jazayrli »

Retrotiger wrote:1. I was really seeing some very good improvement in basketball when I'm doing squats/front squats. I was amazed how I increased my leaping ability. So maybe I'll be doing this more. Problem is my lower back, I always have some great pain and soreness.

2. Leg Press is my thing. I wouldn't replace it with anything. I'm doing 550 x 1. While all of my other exercises are weak.

3. Ok. So the stretch movements will still be at the optimum weight? Ok. I got it now. Thanks bigpelo.
550 isn't impressive on leg press - you need to be squatting more. Do more front squats if your back can't handle back squats. Or get yourself a belt and learn to use it!
Appetize

Post by Appetize »

Not a BP expert by any stretch, but couple of things here I thought I could help with:
Retrotiger wrote:1. I was really seeing some very good improvement in basketball when I'm doing squats/front squats. I was amazed how I increased my leaping ability. So maybe I'll be doing this more. Problem is my lower back, I always have some great pain and soreness.
Probably should consider some good mornings, start with light-ish weight and go for strict form til you've built up core strength more. Also overhead squats, again with controllable weight to build up your capacity to stabilize during squats.
Retrotiger wrote: 2. Leg Press is my thing. I wouldn't replace it with anything. I'm doing 550 x 1. While all of my other exercises are weak.
Figure a 1000 lb leg press on a machine is in line with a 250-300 lb back squat. Depends on the person and the machine though. It's not an equivalent to squatting.
seasoned

Post by seasoned »

Big.jazayrli wrote:

550 isn't impressive on leg press - you need to be squatting more. Do more front squats if your back can't handle back squats. Or get yourself a belt and learn to use it!
As I recall, based on the measurements when I first started out, a 300 pound teenage male sound be able to do 550 for about 20 reps, if they haven't worked out before. About 365 if you are 200 pounds. Those ARE pretty full reps though. Mens Fitness says the deadlift weight for the average man, which is approximate should be a 1RM of bodyweight•1.25, which roughly equates to a legpress of 2.25 * bodyweight. BTW by point of comparison, the formula I used, 1.81818*bw gives you a 1RM of about 2.93*bw. That said, the leg press would be the only one I would do this with. Others are too dependent on how much you do.

But retrotiger didn't say how much he weighs, or how he does legpresses. 140lbs would put him at 255@20 which is a 1rm of ~405 which makes 550 sound respectible. Mens fitness says lifting 420(They ARE talking about the deadlift, but I increased it to allow for the persons weight) ,or more would make you "a beast"!

Steve