Quiona - Your new best friend & has 5 Ecdys to boot!!

Learn, share, DISCOVER. Training Table Tips & Diet Discussion
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

beefcake66 wrote:Speaking of Quinoa, I almost pooped myself when I came across this:

https://www.ergo-log.com/quinoa.html
Great find beefer!!

Part of the sticky now, full credit to you... :)
beefcake66

Re: Quiona - Your new best friend & has 5 Ecdys to boot!

Post by beefcake66 »

RobRegish wrote:CREDIT: Beefcake, for her FANTASTIC find/contribution here!! - https://www.ergo-log.com/quinoa.html

Quinoa's bursting with ecdysteroids

"If you eat 50 g quinoa from a health food shop you'll probably ingest 15-20 mg 20-hydroxyecdysone. That's more than the recommended daily dose that some ecdysteroid supplements contain. French chemists analysed samples of quinoa and found they contained high amounts of ecdysteroids..."

Now important to point out they're contained in the seed. I'm still looking into whether or not they're present in the common store bought fashion.

Even still, its a VERY interesting observation/finding.

Thanks for the shoutout rob :p

I'm very curious to learn what you discover in regards to the seed vs store-bought quality.
BrainSquirt

Post by BrainSquirt »

more “eat bitter” :wink: ie I would probably go with unprocessed...

"Quinoa in its natural state has a coating of bitter-tasting saponins, making it unpalatable. Most quinoa sold commercially in North America has been processed to remove this coating. This bitterness has beneficial effects during cultivation, as the plant is unpopular with birds and thus requires minimal protection.[13] There have been attempts to lower the saponin content of Quinoa through selective breeding to produce sweeter, more palatable varieties which have proven difficult due to cross pollination contamination"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quinoa

I wonder what sprouting would do re: ecdysteroids content / availability

Also, red or black variety more nutritious than white?
Hank!

Post by Hank! »

All I know is i eat the hell out of it, buy big bag from Costco.
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Hank! wrote:All I know is i eat the hell out of it, buy big bag from Costco.
NEW FIND FOR YOU!!!

It's called "Ancient Grains", Kirkland house brand at COSTCO!!

It's LOADED with fiber, PROTEIN (and COMPLETE protein, at that!!), carbs so complex, they need to see a psychiatrist!, essential fatty acids etc..Folks, a bag of this mixed with ANY flavor of MASSPro, you're eating like a King/Queen for the DAY.

Throw that in a mini-cooler and... you're DONE!

Portable feast for a King/Queen, all for about $5/day. Are the 5Faces of Fear(tm) saving you money here, or what? :):):):):)
beefcake66

Post by beefcake66 »

RobRegish wrote: Portable feast for a King/Queen, all for about $5/day. Are the 5Faces of Fear(tm) saving you money here, or what? :):):):):)
winning!
DaCookie

Post by DaCookie »

Damn I just came across that old recommendation of yours now Rob over a year ago that I didnt follow up.Current carbs is something like: wholewheat bread, oats, whole wheat...karbolyn intra and thats it.

'-REAL oatmeal with honey and apple cider/cinnamon
Quiona
Barley'

Real oatmeal as in without sugar right?Ill try out all three of those recommendations but no promise on the quinoa if its after taste is like broccoli!
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

DaCookie wrote:Damn I just came across that old recommendation of yours now Rob over a year ago that I didnt follow up.Current carbs is something like: wholewheat bread, oats, whole wheat...karbolyn intra and thats it.

'-REAL oatmeal with honey and apple cider/cinnamon
Quiona
Barley'

Real oatmeal as in without sugar right?Ill try out all three of those recommendations but no promise on the quinoa if its after taste is like broccoli!
Yep, real without the sugar. Try honey instead!! It preferrentially replenishes muscle glycogen and is likely nature's perfect carbohydrate!!

The quinoa aftertaste is nasty, I'll grant you that. However, in that "Ancient Grains" mix it's.... absolutely delicious!!

At least one of the 5Faces of Fear(tm)
, thinks so... :):):):):)
beefcake66

Post by beefcake66 »

I made quinoa the other day and added a bunch of curry spices and some olive oil... made a really nice dish. Covered the aftertaste super well :D
Terbo16

Post by Terbo16 »

Just an FYI about the aftertaste.....

you need to thoroughly rinse the Quinoa several times until the water runs clear prior to cooking in boiling water.

Here's a great recipe-

1 Cup quinoa
1 Grilled Chick Breast
1/4 Cup Currants or Craisins
1/4 Cup Chopped Raw Almonds
1/4 cup Diced Carrots
1/4 Cup Chopped Mint
1/4 Cup Scallions or Red Onion
Parsley

Dressing-

1 Tsp Honey or Agave
1/2 Tsp Cumin
1 Tsp Sea Salt
1/2 Cup EVOO
1/4 Cup Lime Juice

Macros without Dressing-

500 Calories
40g Protein
52g Carbs
19g Fat
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Great contribution!!

Thanks so much, for sharing...
DaCookie

Post by DaCookie »

Rob I just picked up some organic oatmeal, raw honey, organic barley, organic quinoa and tomorrow im getting 6litres of raw milk...Can you say 'food of supermen'? :)
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

DaCookie wrote:Rob I just picked up some organic oatmeal, raw honey, organic barley, organic quinoa and tomorrow im getting 6litres of raw milk...Can you say 'food of supermen'? :)
There you go man!!

Costco will miss you, if there is a Costco in Ireland... :)

Great work Daniel, you found a way. It's how we roll in BP, because Lord knows... the world will let you down if things are left up to them!!