Mattrag's first run at BP 3.0

Unfiltered Tips & Techniques centered around Blueprint Training
Mattrag

Mattrag's first run at BP 3.0

Post by Mattrag »

Hey all starting a BP 3.0 run today. First day of famine.

Gonna hit up the first work out tonight.

Starting stats

Weight: 196.5lbs (after a pretty big Indian food buffet last night…)
Arms:
Quads:
Chest
Neck
Waist:
Hip:

(I’ll update this when I get home from work)

Background:

I currently live in Japan working as a teacher. I have been working out for around 10 years and been serious about lifting and bodybuilding for around 2 yrs now. Recently, I’ve been focusing more on strength because I believe my bodybuilding endeavors have weakened my overall balance when I play any type of sports. Currently I play Judo and the imbalances are VERY noticeable.

My goals for this run of the BP is to recomp and add a lot of strength.

The problems I have is my limitation on equipment. I have an old barbell and adjustable “rack”. My bench is only flat and is a bit strange… lol
I will try to make the best of what I have and follow the workouts as best as I can. It seems as though I will be pulling a lot of weights (Through statics) and I hope my current 415 will be enough. If it is not perhaps I’ll look into rigging up band to increase tension as I don’t think I will be in Japan much longer. Perhaps another 9 months before I move back to Hawaii for good.

Diet history: I have always been a higher protein intake person. I love meats. I recently found out that I have a flour allergy (probably gluten intolerance) and casein allergy. So my food choices are usually good just out of that limitation. Still I am pretty fat and need to lose a lot of weight. I’ll post up some pics soon. If I can, I am not sure how this forum works.

Supplement history: I have taken A LOT of supps. Ranging from some PH, oral DS, to very basic health vitamins and minerals. Currently, I only take vitamin D, ZMA, a natty test booster, some energy/fat burner pills, CoQ10, and some BCAAs (Though not now because I’m in the famine stage). I can usually be found on AM forums under the same name. I usually run sponsored logs for some companies and try to see what works and what doesn’t. Just started doing this so I’m hoping to get better in accessing products worth.

Training history: I started off doing the “beach body” workout. Only chest and arms, sometimes back. So I have really insane imbalances in that. But I came to Japan two years ago and got straightened out by a friend who was a trainer and who, at the moment, is trying to make a come back after gaining around 70 pounds because he pretty much gave up on diet/exercise/lifestyle. I worked on 5x5 SS. I believe that through training and proper programming the 5x5 is probably one of the best strength gaining program for almost anyone who hasn’t been training for more than 2 years, then they should move on to the intermediate, then probably move into some WSBB type programming if they want to continue to be strong.
Because I have no access to running/stairs/cardio equipment sprinting outside is all I really have for GPP/conditioning. I would love if anyone can tell me other ways to train perhaps with weights in my home to get the same effect because as the winter months come I will be unable to even train outside because of the intense cold…. Also, I don’t like sprinting… Destroys my knees and ankles… ; ;

Very long but thanks for reading!!!
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

OK everyone, let's all welcome Matt from Japan!!!

Great start Matt and we appreciate the detailed background. I'll be right here every day, to assist you!!!
Street-dreams

Post by Street-dreams »

Welcome Matt! you've found a new home here at the blueprint forums. Some truly good people here.
Mattrag

Post by Mattrag »

had a really great workout yesterday

Squats/1 arm row super set

135X10
135X8
155X8
185X6/15kgsX10
225X5/15kgsX10
245X5/30kgsX6
245X5/30kgsX6
245X5/30kgsX6

EZ bar Bicep curls

70lbsX6
90lbsX6
90lbsX6
90lbsX6

I workout at home so I decided to sub the seated cable row with the one arm db row.

Food wise today I had;

3 grapefruits
1 asian pear
1.5 onions
.5 cabbage

Pretty rough on the food... Just didnt have much appetite after eating so much grapefruits...
Mattrag

Post by Mattrag »

Okay Day 2

Food:

2 apples
3 grapefruits
1 asian pear

Japanese seaweed

about 1hr of Judo.

Getting Mean cravings for meat.... I usually eat around 250-400g of protein a day... so usually my meals are mostly meat. I am on Lean gains /IF protocol. So I only eat in an 8 hour window... and OMG Im so hungry now... 3 more days.... Sadly I think my calories are like 700-800... meh, "famine"
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Cravings for protein are a GOOD sign... :)

Japanese seaweed. Now THERE's something you don't see/eat every day... :):):)
Mattrag

Post by Mattrag »

RobRegish wrote:Cravings for protein are a GOOD sign... :)

Japanese seaweed. Now THERE's something you don't see/eat every day... :):):)

Hahah yup! I love it though, and its basically calorie free.....
Mattrag

Post by Mattrag »

Workout for Wednesday:

Bench press/one arm shoulder press

135x10/35x8
135x10/35x8
155x8/35x8
185x10/35x8
185x10/35x8
185x9/35x8
185x10/35x8

CG bench

135x10
135x10

Tricep band ext.
10 each side twice.

Good workout. Joints are dead though. I'm cracking like when I was on hdrol.

Thursdays "if you think you can still lift" workout

5s

Bench press/bent over rows/roman deads

135x5
155x5
185x5
205x5

Dropped the bench

225x5
245x5

One set of concentration curls @35lbs for 12 reps.

Then hit judo for 2hrs...

Today (Friday) I'm eating protein. I'm gonna die soon if I don't.

or is doing the famine for 5 days CRUCIAL for it to work..?

I been at BWx~4 cals.. I just dont like to drink juice, dont like nuts much, and only been eating grape fruits, apples, onions, spinach...

Looking REALLY lean though lol.
Street-dreams

Post by Street-dreams »

It looks sounds like you have reached a point where it is ok for you to stop the famine work outs.

Just keep the famine diet intact for the 5 days... then on day 1 of feast pig out like no other.. Rob recommends a 1 year ban from a buffet!
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Street-dreams wrote:It looks sounds like you have reached a point where it is ok for you to stop the famine work outs.

Just keep the famine diet intact for the 5 days... then on day 1 of feast pig out like no other.. Rob recommends a 1 year ban from a buffet!
Spot on, on both points! :):)
Mattrag

Post by Mattrag »

Thanks guys, I actually was able to get the fast all the way to sat.

Tomorrow Im doing feast workout1. I was not sure how much time I was supposed to wait between famine's last workout and feast's first.

Im just going with 2 days of feast, then start up workouts. ;)

Monday tomorrow, gonna hit it HARD.
Street-dreams

Post by Street-dreams »

supposed to be 3 days of feasting before u start, just so u know ;)
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Street-dreams wrote:supposed to be 3 days of feasting before u start, just so u know ;)
Thanks for the assist! :)