Help with lightheaded during workouts/after carbs

Learn, share, DISCOVER. Training Table Tips & Diet Discussion
PuZo

Help with lightheaded during workouts/after carbs

Post by PuZo »

Ive been out of the gym for a year due to an ankle injury. A few months ago I decided to get back in. Long story short, I get really lightheaded when I go to the gym. Regardless of the rep range or weight, within 20 minutes I am lightheaded. Nothing too crazy, but it feels uncomfortable. I know that if I continue it will just get worse. It builds up throughout the workout. I am doing basic compound exercises, like bench, squats, shoulder press, dead lift.

I also get lightheaded after eating carbs, like oatmeal or potatoes. I am not diabetic. I drink enough water, but perhaps I'm not eating enough. But even if I'm not eating enough, around 2k cals/day, shouldn't I still be able to workout without getting lightheaded? I also get lightheaded/faint in the sun. I do drink enough water 4L(1 gallon) even if I need more, I don't see how, since I'm already drinking more than the average person.

Any help would be appreciated, this has been going on for a while and I really want to get back in the gym, but I can't have these 20 minute workouts.
crpolley

Post by crpolley »

Are you taking any prescriptions or medications that could cause this?

Make sure you are drinking a lot of water prior to entering the gym.
PuZo

Post by PuZo »

crpolley wrote:Are you taking any prescriptions or medications that could cause this?

Make sure you are drinking a lot of water prior to entering the gym.
No meds and I am drinking lots of water.
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Check your minerals...

Seems to be tied to exertion/warm temperatures. This tells me you may be sweating, and something is being lost in the sweat. If that's true, it's likely a mineral being lost. Off the top of my head, I'd add just a pinch of sodium to your intra workout drink.

Will be curious to see if it helps. I hope it does! :)
PuZo

Post by PuZo »

RobRegish wrote:Check your minerals...

Seems to be tied to exertion/warm temperatures. This tells me you may be sweating, and something is being lost in the sweat. If that's true, it's likely a mineral being lost. Off the top of my head, I'd add just a pinch of sodium to your intra workout drink.

I am not sweating though.... And my sodium intake is fine, drinking gatorade almost everyday.(not on purpose, just happens)
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

PuZo wrote:
RobRegish wrote:Check your minerals...

I am not sweating though.... And my sodium intake is fine, drinking gatorade almost everyday.(not on purpose, just happens)
Magnesium, Zinc etc. I was hopeful it was the sodium... :) Worst case scenario: You perform 20 min workouts more frequently. NOTHING wrong with that and in some cases, a step in the right direction!