Burn It up and caffiene/everyday use

Serious supplementation, focused on the MASS line at BodyBuildingSupplements.com
biscuits

Burn It up and caffiene/everyday use

Post by biscuits »

Hi well i am considering ordering a bottle of burn it up but ive read in order to maximize effectiveness i should be taking it at least 2x a day to keep Peak ATP levels constant.

I know that this product as far as stimulates go has benefits that outweigh the costs in terms of health with Peak ATP, tyrosine, PS and ginsing BUT

I am 19, 5'4, weigh 135 lbs, and i have what i like to call an 'efficient' system (very low tolerance to drugs). I can take one-two shots and get pretty drunk (I dont drink btw) and I also only take about 1/3 of Jack3d on workout days and get pretty stimulated.

Anyways my question is should i still be taking BUI everyday even if i dont normally/need to take caffeine everyday?

I dont exactly want to raise my caffeine tolerance but considering it is intended to be an everyday product if it would benefit my health if i took BUI everyday or should i just take it on workout days since energy is not really a problem but i am worried about caffeine affecting my tolerance/health

Summary: Healthy to take BUI everyday even though 100mg caffeine a day would f@ck me up? and if i didnt take it everyday would the benefits from BUI be negated?

lol thanks in advance guys
BrainSquirt

Post by BrainSquirt »

biscuits,

I asked for a lower or no caffeine version of BUI – was told not a chance. It’s a ‘finely balanced formula’ (or something like that) the way it is…

Caffeine has a much more significant effect on biochemistry than we like to think. In some bodies, it a real balance wrecker. The fact that tolerance develops indicates ‘addictive’ properties, so any short term scientific studies based benefits of caffeine, imo, should be quickly followed / compensated for by discontinuing it for much longer than you were on it. In general, if one not quite ‘up energy’ enough, the process of healing and retraining the biochemistry should be looking at other solutions instead of providing chem. stimulants.

I personally am all over some of BUI’s ingredients, expecially PS and to a lesser extent Peak ATP, etc.… and supply them through non BUI sourcing… hth
askmass
Site Admin

Post by askmass »

No offense to those who have asked, but there is simply not enough demand on a wide scale to warrant a no caffeine version of Burn It Up! to be viable from a production standpoint.

A great many more people ask us to double the caffeine content, frankly, but that would surely wreak the balance too.

People like Rob Regish and RVD joke that they take 2 BIU with their morning coffee, etc., and they may do just that, so building caffeine tolerance over time is a reality.

What we tried to accomplish was the very best balance for the vast majority of users, and I'd say we accomplished that rather nicely given the accolades the full formula gets - with apologies for not completely pleasing the less caffeine/jack it up double contingents.
biscuits

Post by biscuits »

thanks brainsquirt that definitely helped me

and askmass it should be completely understandable as i cant see people wanting an energy product/fat burner without caffeine in it

so would taking BUI on workout days negate all the good effects or its still worth it??
askmass
Site Admin

Post by askmass »

biscuits wrote:...so would taking BUI on workout days negate all the good effects or its still worth it??
I know a good many folks who only use it pre workout and a few who even reserve it for use only before competitions and big events.

The one component that is proven best with (at least near) daily dosing is Peak ATP.
BrainSquirt

Post by BrainSquirt »

I know a good many folks who only use it pre workout and a few who even reserve it for use only before competitions and big events.

yep, I have some but only use it when I REALLY REALLY need it.
also, have had good results using it mid instead of pre --- ideally timed to kick in when 2nd wind is starting to fade...

I still maintain that in the long run, most bb's and atheletes would be better off off any routine caffeine,

For what it is and my caveats noted - BUI is a great product compared to the Caffeine Coolaid (in a tall plastic) Canister products out there.
biscuits

Post by biscuits »

BrainSquirt wrote:

yep, I have some but only use it when I REALLY REALLY need it.
also, have had good results using it mid instead of pre --- ideally timed to kick in when 2nd wind is starting to fade...

I still maintain that in the long run, most bb's and atheletes would be better off off any routine caffeine,

For what it is and my caveats noted - BUI is a great product compared to the Caffeine Coolaid (in a tall plastic) Canister products out there.
you really dont use caffeine on workout days? wow thats crazy
BrainSquirt

Post by BrainSquirt »

you really dont use caffeine on workout days? wow thats crazy
I do train caffeine free. Just lifted yesterday around 6 PM – strong, intense, focused, serene - and no caffeine. "Flow" - now wow thats really crazy. During a rest I happened to glance over at the MMA section and noticed a group of 5 guys standing around talking before the training. Four of them were sipping their tall, thin cans of ‘spinach’. In my opinion, they are sending a ‘wrong signal’ to their nervous system and if continued for an extended period, they are building a ‘wrong dependency’ neural pathway… not to mention the green bolts repeated striking their kidneys and bone marrow…6 AM, maybe (for only a couple of them), but at 6 PM ???

Not to say I’m not on any ‘spinach’ though … I was swiggin’ a Berries n Cream shake :D , and popping KA :lol: , and would have dropped some AN at bedtime had I really needed it :twisted: . I have taken my share of ‘natural’ (dangerous word) supplements, but more and more my ‘spinach’ is grounded in nutritional instead of medicinal, in going to the cell level instead of nervous system and bloodstream level…

Been ‘clean’ of supplementary caffeine going on 2 years now, after a couple years of trying to work it into my regimens. Came to the conclusion that, even with a strict minimum effective dose, caffeine's short term benefits didn’t offset the long term costs for me. (“For me” is the operative term here – as my biochemistry is unique to me and only very similar to most other humans'. Find what is best for you through simple but strict trials, etc)

All the best
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

BIU is what I like to call a very "elegant" solution, to daily physical and mental stress. Allow me to explain...

Daily use imparts a very "crisp" feel to the barbell, without the jittery nonsense some formulas cause that are jacked to the gills with caffeine, yohimbe and such. To this two superb, broad spectrum adaptogens are included in the form of a custom 10:1 MACA extract and legit Korean Red Ginseng. These are terrific all around adaptogens, and go a LONG way toward facilitating an enhanced response to daily stressors inclusive of training, work related stress and even helping us men deal with that dreaded female time of the month... :)

The PS as I see it is also key, as cortisol is released in response to these multiple stressors. Dealing with all of this stress takes a lot of energy too, not just physical but mental. Guess what replenishes ATP in both the brain/body? Yep, Peak ATP.

The caffeine is "just enough" as I see it, for non-training days/cardio. On lifting days, I juice that up with some additional caffeine and its very reliable in that it retains the "controlled focus" BIU produces.

The rest of the formula is top notch too, because the various other ingredients go to work REPLENISHING your CNS and other bodily tissues.

L - Taurine, #1 on the ingredient list. Take a gander at what this little gem does for you (NOTE: It's also included in extra amounts in MASS PRO):

Taurine helps you focus

Taurine exists in very high concentration in the brain and plays a neuromodulatory role in this area. Taurine alters the actions of inhibitory neurotransmitters like GABA [1], which is suggested to be the mechanism for increased focus noted with taurine supplementation. Of importance to bodybuilders, taurine-based energy drinks have been shown to increase brain performance, focus, and time on task [2, 3].

Taurine increases strength

It is known that decreases in skeletal muscle taurine concentration lead to
decreases in strength. Interestingly, supplementation of taurine augments muscle taurine levels and increases muscular strength. It has been shown that 2 weeks of taurine supplementation increased rat fast-twitch muscle taurine content resulting in increased muscle force production, decreased fatigue and increased muscle function in recovery [4]. Mechanistic studies have shown that, when a muscle is stimulated, taurine enables more calcium to be released (inside muscle cells) leading to more forceful contractions [4, 5].

Taurine increases muscle cell volume

Taurine is a well-researched regulator of cell volume, as it acts as an osmolyte (i.e., it regulates fluid balance) [6]. As such, taurine works to optimize cellular hydration and maximize muscle function. Thus, taurine has been implicated to be a potent cell volumizer. Not only does this make the muscle belly appear more full, but also provides an indirect stimulus for anabolism.

Taurine is anti-catabolic

In a recent study, taurine was shown to exhibit significant reductions in muscle breakdown by decreasing catabolic 3-methylhistidine by 20% after intense treadmill running. In the same study, post-exercise urinary excretion of creatinine and creatine were significantly reduced with taurine supplementation, further illustrating its abililty to blunt muscle breakdown [12].

Taurine regulates blood sugar

There are several studies that show taurine supplementation can regulate blood sugar levels in the body. A recent study reported that mice fed taurine for 30 days saw increased glucose tolerance and insulin sensitivity when given high glucose in their diet [7]. As well, in a recent medical review [8], it was concluded that taurine supplements may help increase insulin sensitivity and help regulate blood sugar levels.

Taurine extends your workouts

Muscular endurance is important to all athletes, including bodybuilders. After all, the harder your muscles can be pushed without overtraining, the greater the anabolic response. Two weeks of taurine supplementation has been shown to increase run time to exhaustion by up to 50%. This effect on muscle endurance correlates with increased/maintained taurine levels, in contrast to a drop in muscle taurine levels with no supplementation [9-12].

Taurine increases recovery

Science has repeatedly shown that taurine is a powerful antioxidant and membrane-stabilizing agent. Exercise stress destabilizes and damages muscle cells by a number of different mechanisms, including oxidative stress [13]; the antioxidant properties of taurine can ameliorate these adverse effects. Taurine has also been shown to reduce inflammation associated with cellular damage. Based on taurine's protective properties, research has shown that this supplement can defend against exercise induced muscle damage and speed recovery [14].

References :

1. Albrecht, J. and A. Schousboe, Taurine interaction with neurotransmitter receptors in the CNS: an update. Neurochem Res, 2005. 30(12): p. 1615-21.

2. Alford, C., H. Cox, and R. Wescott, The effects of red bull energy drink on human performance and mood. Amino Acids, 2001. 21(2): p. 139-50.

3. Seidl, R., et al., A taurine and caffeine-containing drink stimulates cognitive performance and well-being. Amino Acids, 2000. 19(3-4): p. 635-42.

4. Goodman, C.A., et al., Taurine supplementation increases skeletal muscle force production and protects muscle function during and after high-frequency in vitro stimulation. J Appl Physiol, 2009. 107(1): p. 144-54.

5. Bakker, A.J. and H.M. Berg, Effect of taurine on sarcoplasmic reticulum function and force in skinned fast-twitch skeletal muscle fibres of the rat. J Physiol, 2002. 538(Pt 1): p. 185-94.

6. Hoffmann, E.K., I.H. Lambert, and S.F. Pedersen, Physiology of cell volume regulation in vertebrates. Physiol Rev, 2009. 89(1): p. 193-277.

7. Ribeiro, R.A., et al., Taurine supplementation enhances nutrient-induced insulin secretion in pancreatic mice islets. Diabetes Metab Res Rev, 2009. 25(4): p. 370-9.

8. Ito, T., S.W. Schaffer, and J. Azuma, The potential usefulness of taurine on diabetes mellitus and its complications. Amino Acids, 2011.

9. Miyazaki, T., et al., Optimal and effective oral dose of taurine to prolong exercise performance in rat. Amino Acids, 2004. 27(3-4): p. 291-8.

10. Imagawa, T.F., et al., Caffeine and taurine enhance endurance performance. Int J Sports Med, 2009. 30(7): p. 485-8.

11. Yatabe, Y., et al., Effects of taurine administration in rat skeletal muscles on exercise. J Orthop Sci, 2003. 8(3): p. 415-9.

12. Yatabe, Y., et al., Effects of taurine administration on exercise. Adv Exp Med Biol, 2009. 643: p. 245-52.

13. Schuller-Levis, G.B. and E. Park, Taurine: new implications for an old amino acid. FEMS Microbiol Lett, 2003. 226(2): p. 195-202.

14. Dawson, R., Jr., et al., The cytoprotective role of taurine in exercise-induced muscle injury. Amino Acids, 2002. 22(4): p. 309-24.[/b]
drhowe9

Post by drhowe9 »

Rob how much extra caffeine do you take on workout days? and in what form, pills?
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

drhowe9 wrote:Rob how much extra caffeine do you take on workout days? and in what form, pills?
Oh my, you don't want to know...

Let's just say it wasn't (in the past), measured in mgs, OK? Today, I'm favor much more reasonable amounts, say 200-400mg. That's usually in the form of BIU plus either guarana and/or kola nut.

Why the herbal vs. synthetic? Well, BIU has just the RIGHT amount of caffeine to hit quick, yet the energy carries through smooth and NOT jittery. To extend that further, I add guarana and/or kola nut. So why the herbal form, and not straight Vivarin/more straight caffeine?

Same reason I favor epheDRA vs. ephedRINE. Nature does it right, meaning the caffeine/methylxanthines are bound to fiber in the plant/herb, leading to a smoother rise/fall in energy levels. The herbal forms also include anti-oxidants (some species, including green tea). In GT's case, it also includes EGCG's (stick with the abbreviation, trust me... ), which have their own unique fat loss properties.

There's a time and a place for each, and I know MASS has the herbal form under consideration. Being the winner that it is though, I'm sure they don't want to tamper with perfection.

If it is re-done, it'll be better. MASS doesn't speak loudly enough IMO, when they quietly upgrade their products. That Suma in Adaptogen N along with other ingredients has been consistently refined to a greater potency over the years, as I keep all the old bottles. The proof is in my bloodwork: MASS's upgrades are just that - their products work even better...

I'm telling it like it is...