Switching to BP 3.0: First run and some questions

Unfiltered Tips & Techniques centered around Blueprint Training
chameleon

Switching to BP 3.0: First run and some questions

Post by chameleon »

Hi BP community. I'm starting a 3.0 run and am currently in day 3 of famine. As all of you know, this is not fun.

Before BP, I'd been training 6 days per week for 1-2 hrs. per session. My new, more constrained schedule, recent lack of progress, and hearing several people advocate abbreviated training sessions and longer recovery, led me to look for a new training program. I've heard many good things about the BP, and appreciate Rob sacrificing his time to provide great tips on superhuman radio; so I decided to give the BP a try.

I'm currently (pre-famine) about 212 lbs at about 10% BF. I chose 3.0 because of it's recomp focus. In my previous training and diet I have not been able to gain strength while maintaining or losing BF.

I have some questions about the upcoming phases of the BP. Feedback from Rob and others would be great.

1] Incredibly, the two gyms near me don't have power racks; so I may not have access to a power rack for static holds (there is one gym that I can go to that does have a rack). Do

you recommend any substitute exercises, such as full ROM exercises, like deadlifts in place of static rack pulls? What are

your thoughts on static holds on a smith machine, if that is all I have access to?

2] For EDT training, if you don't have a loading pin, can you substitute bench or a tricep exercise for dips?

3] What are your thoughts on intermittent fasting during the feast phase. I've been on an intermittent fasting diet for about a year, and would like to stick to it.

4] There are specific macronutrient suggestions in BP 3.0, but what do you think of Martin Berkhan's intermittent fasting protocol of high carbs on training days and lower carbs on off days. Do you believe that this type of macro cycling
will inhibit gains?

5] Lastly, many loading patterns were presented in 2.0. I may use these in future BP runs; however, I'd want to work more than one exercise per session. What are your thoughts on performing a loading pattern on multiple exercises in one training session? For that matter, would adding assistance exercises, e.g. shoulder laterals, to any of the recommended training protocols in 2.0 or 3.0 be inadvisable.

BTW, I ordered Karboload in place of Karbolyn. Karboload was about half the price. I'll let you know what I think of it.

Thanks, and keep up the great work Rob.
bigpelo

Re: Switching to BP 3.0: First run and some questions

Post by bigpelo »

chameleon wrote:
First, welcome aboard!
1] Incredibly, the two gyms near me don't have power racks; so I may not have access to a power rack for static holds (there is one gym that I can go to that does have a rack). Do you recommend any substitute exercises, such as full ROM exercises, like deadlifts in place of static rack pulls? What are your thoughts on static holds on a smith machine, if that is all I have access to?

This is a 3 part question:

a) I would prefer to train where there is a power rack available
b) You won't be able to load enough weight in a "full rom" exercise to stimulate the CNS like static contraction does
c) Static hold on a smith machine might be OK if it's your only choice but it's not my first choice for sure.

2] For EDT training, if you don't have a loading pin, can you substitute bench or a tricep exercise for dips?

Dips are superior in my opinion to other triceps/chest exercises but yes, they can be interchange

3] What are your thoughts on intermittent fasting during the feast phase. I've been on an intermittent fasting diet for about a year, and would like to stick to it.

I have been practicing warrior diet since March 2011, I love it and I am having great result. A lot of guy here are doing intermittent fasting too like 16/8, eat stop eat, warrior, etc. Go ahead with IF!

4] There are specific macronutrient suggestions in BP 3.0, but what do you think of Martin Berkhan's intermittent fasting protocol of high carbs on training days and lower carbs on off days. Do you believe that this type of macro cycling will inhibit gains?

It won't inhibit gains for sure, pretty much the opposite on a recomp! I am also doing it. Low carbs high fat medium calories on off days or cardio days and high carbs high calories on weight training days.

5] Lastly, many loading patterns were presented in 2.0. I may use these in future BP runs; however, I'd want to work more than one exercise per session. What are your thoughts on performing a loading pattern on multiple exercises in one training session? For that matter, would adding assistance exercises, e.g. shoulder laterals, to any of the recommended training protocols in 2.0 or 3.0 be inadvisable.

You can perform more than one exercise with a given loading pattern but you would need to space out workout frequency to give some break to your CNS. I am doing that right now: squat and bench press in one training day on a loading pattern, supersetted on top of that but only once a week. I also have done two different moves on a loading pattern but on different days.

BTW, I ordered Karboload in place of Karbolyn. Karboload was about half the price. I'll let you know what I think of it.

Those carbs make me fat, even when consume during workouts. I have a 2/3 tub of karbolyn sitting in the food closet that I didn't touch for 7-8 months. I keep my carbs for main meal AFTER working out with weight. I prefer potatoes and rice consumed as real food

Thanks, and keep up the great work Rob.
What ever you decide to do, I suggest you experiment and report back here with your findings, share with us ;)

HTH
chameleon

Post by chameleon »

Thanks bigpelo. Great advice! I'll be following your log.

Anyone else have input. I'd especially like to hear what others have to say about substitute exercises if you don't have a power rack.