please help! diet tracking chaos!

Learn, share, DISCOVER. Training Table Tips & Diet Discussion
saud1774

please help! diet tracking chaos!

Post by saud1774 »

How do you guys track your protein and calories??? I have never done this before and realized I am going to have to in order to get this right but it's so frustrating to try!! I write down everything I eat but how can I find out what was in it? I resorted to looking up every food one at a time which was really slow and not accurate at all. Your suggestions are greatly appreciated!
bigpelo

Post by bigpelo »

I have stopped tracking calories and macros. Instead I focus on food choices, quality and timing.

I fast between 8pm to noon next day.
I break fast with raw veges, couple raw seeds or raw nuts and protein in the form of eggs, whey, fish or poultry. Sometime berries or apple too.
Main meal after workout around 6pm is huge salad of: raw veges, oilve oil, herbs, apple cidar vinaigar. Huge serving of cooked veges. Huge serving of whatever meat. Depending if it's a low or higher carbs day, I might add potatoes, rice, couscous or beans.
If still hungry, at 8pm I'll have natural almond butter or raw milk cheese or raw chocolate and sometime add whey and hemp protein shake.

I try to avoid: processed food, packaged food, fried stuff, sugar and most carbs. I not a NO-carb guy but I think we do not need carb as much as people think. Let's say I eat a lower carb diet ;)

At the end of the week, my calories will come from 45% fat 30% protein and 25% carbs (not counting veges as carbs though...)
wtmarcus

Post by wtmarcus »

There's ways to do this.. personally I use the blueprint trackers and add foodstuffs I need, using data from either packaging or https://nutritiondata.self.com/.

And of course I weigh everything when I cook food.

Some like to use something like https://www.shapeupclub.com/ (perhaps combined with their smartphone app) to do it all.

Generally I stay around 50-70g fat, 2-300g carbs, and 150-200g protein.
beefcake66

Post by beefcake66 »

sparkpeople or fitday is what i used to use

now i scribble everywheres
wtmarcus

Post by wtmarcus »

Also it helps me to eat pretty much the same stuff over and over and over....
tranquilChaos

Post by tranquilChaos »

If you have an Android or iPhone, you should try the MyFitnessPal app. It is excellent for tracking your diet. It not only tracks calories, but also fat and carbs and will show you a graphical percentage comparison (with charts) of the ratio of the 3 both in daily and weekly views. I've found that pretty much anything you eat is already in the app.
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

tranquilChaos wrote:If you have an Android or iPhone, you should try the MyFitnessPal app. It is excellent for tracking your diet. It not only tracks calories, but also fat and carbs and will show you a graphical percentage comparison (with charts) of the ratio of the 3 both in daily and weekly views. I've found that pretty much anything you eat is already in the app.
GREAT tip!

THANK YOU, for contributing to our LEARN, SHARE, GROW mantra here.. :)