Correcting imbalances in hips, lower back and legs

Learn, share, ADVANCE. Bodybuilding, Sports & Endurance Training Tips & Discussion
PrimiFit

Correcting imbalances in hips, lower back and legs

Post by PrimiFit »

I have a big problem with muscular imbalances that stop me from being able to do deadlifts and squats with a barbell.

When I do them, my right glute, right hamstring and the right side of my lower back get significantly more pumped than the left side.

Also, my left femur adductors are very tight and also the hip flexors of that same side.

Here's what I think the situation is:
-Righ side (strong/tight): glute, hamstring (bicep femoris), lower back
-Right side (weak): hamstring (semi- muscles)
-Left side (strong/tight): the adductors and possibly the hip flexors
-Left side (weak): glute (maby especially medius, minimus & tensor fascia latae)

I think I messed the balance up maby a year ago when the imbalance wasn't as bad. I decided to include some unilateral work to my routine so I started doing bulgarian squats. When doing those, I started to notice that when I was working the left leg, I was using the right hip flexor a lot, instead of using the front leg's glute, hamstring and quad. Being a silly goose, I kept doing that and just tried to focus on the glutes, I worsened the situation.

I stopped doing the barbell lifts and started doing pistol squats and one legged dead lifts but I notice that unilateral work doesn't necessarily help.

When I do pistols with my left leg, I tend to lean to the inner side and therefore activating more of the adductor side of my leg. Also, when I try to focus leaning to the opposite side, I still feel that the adductors of the left leg are extra tight after the session.

Should I do isolation exercises now or what the heck?

Does anyone else have experience in this kind of situation?
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Please do NOT go the isolation exercise route.

Instead, try foam rolling. It does a WONDERFUL job loosening up tight muscle groups, bursae, fascia and JOINTS!

Give that a try. I think you'll be most pleased...
PrimiFit

Post by PrimiFit »

Thanks for the quick reply!

Funny thing: I just bought a foam roller a few days ago :)

Still, anything I could do to balance the weak side, or should I just roll the tight side and continue with the unilateral basic moves?