How to properly measure resting heart rate

Learn, share, ADVANCE. Bodybuilding, Sports & Endurance Training Tips & Discussion
PrimiFit

How to properly measure resting heart rate

Post by PrimiFit »

I'm wondering how I'm supposed to measure my resting heart rate properly. Should I use the lowest value, since it varies second by second or should I use some kind of an average value?

Sorry if this is already a thread somewhere, although I couldn't find one.

I wondered this because my lowest heart rate was 1 point lower than a few days ago and now I'm on my second day of Famine.
WinskiG

Post by WinskiG »

I believe you'd take the average of your 3 readings you do each morning upon waking.
It's expected to rise over the course of famine but there may be some compounding factors at play depending on what you were doing pre-famine, current sleep quality etc.
PrimiFit

Post by PrimiFit »

WinskiG wrote:I believe you'd take the average of your 3 readings you do each morning upon waking.
It's expected to rise over the course of famine but there may be some compounding factors at play depending on what you were doing pre-famine, current sleep quality etc.
Yes, but the readings vary second by second. Should I take an average of 1-2 minutes or just see how low it can go?
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Best solution: Buy an electronic blood pressure cuff monitor.

Available at any drugstore for a nominal price, it not only allows you to keep tabs on your BP, but calculates your heart rate too!

Failing that, an average of 3 readings is best. I count the number of beats in a 15 sec period, then multiply by 4. Being impatient and all, LOL. During famine, you should see it rising ideally 8 beats per minute above baseline. Not everyone sees this (a small %), but most do. If you've seen a loss of about 1lb/day, that's another sign. So is cursing my name and questioning this Famine thing I came up with... :-)

Hope that helps!
PrimiFit

Post by PrimiFit »

Thanks!

I actually have a blood pressure monitor but didn't think of using it for this. I have to try it.

I haven't seen any kind of rise in the heart rate, but weight has definitely gone down.

I hope that I get the benefits of famine. I would be pretty mad if I had suffered for nothing :D
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

PrimiFit wrote:Thanks!

I actually have a blood pressure monitor but didn't think of using it for this. I have to try it.

I haven't seen any kind of rise in the heart rate, but weight has definitely gone down.

I hope that I get the benefits of famine. I would be pretty mad if I had suffered for nothing :D
For a small % of people, resting heart rate doesn't jump like it does in most. No worries, as long as you're seeing your weight drop, cursing my name and "feeling it" - you're there... :-)

And remember, when in doubt do NOT perform workout #3. I'm finding most just don't need it. Simply finish out the diet and then - train to Gainsville leaves, first day of Feast!
PrimiFit

Post by PrimiFit »

Okay, I read as much from the 3.0

I initially planned that I'll skip the third workout but now, on the 4th day, I feel pretty good and I'm thinking about training tomorrow.

I'll do a one hour walk to the hill and see how I feel :)
bigpelo

Post by bigpelo »

My resting heart rate usually stays to same from day 1 to 3. By day 4 I have a 1-2 beat more sometime not but always got the +8 on morning of day 5. Hang on, you're almost there!
PrimiFit

Post by PrimiFit »

Thanks for the support :)

I'm doing better than I thought, although I'm slightly sore from the workouts and also tired and hungry all the time. Still, I expected something worse :). I hope that this doesn't mean that I've done something wrong.
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

PrimiFit wrote:Thanks for the support :)

I'm doing better than I thought, although I'm slightly sore from the workouts and also tired and hungry all the time. Still, I expected something worse :). I hope that this doesn't mean that I've done something wrong.
Some people tolerate Famine better than others.

Consider yourself lucky... :)
bigpelo

Post by bigpelo »

The hardest part for me to go through famine is mental: graving proteins badly. The smell of meat or the view of eggs drive me crazy by day 4 and on day 5 it's the only thing I think about: putting my teeth in a piece of meat, any kind! On the first day of feast, the taste of flesh is really stronger and pops bubble in the brain like sugar addiction. That's when I know I was on spot with famine.

I have done a famine where I didn't eat enough calories and practically no protein. I felt beat up from day 3 and didn't gain traction until week 3 of feast. No good...
PrimiFit

Post by PrimiFit »

True, I also hate when I can't eat meat and fats :). I think that having done regular intermittent fasting in the past helps a lot.

I recovered from the fatigue after my first big meal in the first day of feast. The miracle of eating enough :)