Alternative Recovery Method?

Serious supplementation, focused on the MASS line at BodyBuildingSupplements.com
thicketman

Alternative Recovery Method?

Post by thicketman »

Pilot Study on the Effect of Grounding on Delayed-Onset Muscle Soreness

https://online.liebertpub.com/doi/pdfplu ... .2009.0399
thicketman

Increased protein synthasis?

Post by thicketman »

Differences in Blood Urea and Creatinine Concentrations in Earthed and Unearthed Subjects during Cycling Exercise and Recovery

https://www.hindawi.com/journals/ecam/2013/382643/
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Now that IS interesting!
BrainSquirt

Post by BrainSquirt »

More…
some of it, absurd
some of it, sublime…
https://twoicefloes.com/mrs-cogs-corner/ ... tric-body/
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Worth looking into IMO.

Besides, it's FREE! :lol:
thicketman

Post by thicketman »

I've been earthing myself for a liitle over a week and half now. So here goes:

Workout (all calisthenics pyramid sets)

Mon = Push/Pull
Tues = Legs
Wed = Off
Thurs = Push/Pull
Fri = Legs
Sat = Off
Sun = Off

Sleep

Go to bed consistently 8:30. Wake consistently at 4:30.

Supps

Nothing different...taking a multi, vitamin D, fish oil, b-complex and liver support.

Method

I use a simple homemade "device". It's a wall socket plug, with a wire connected to the ground terminal and a splice into two wires with alligator clips on the end. I need to put a low impedance resistor in the line, but I haven't done that yet. This would make sure to protect me from any potential electrical surges. I'll probably grab one from radio shack this weekend.

I attach the alligator clips to my undies so that I have constant contact with skin throughout my workout. I also ground myself in the same fashion before I go to bed.

Observed POSITIVE Results

1) Easier to relax and fall asleep faster

2) Deeper sleep...IF I wake, I'm in the same position I fell asleep in. Also, IF I wake, I'm able to easily fall asleep again. And IF I wake, I feel like I have been sleeping longer than I actually have...kinda weird feeling.

3) Able to sleep longer...It is typical for me to wake up before my alarm clock goes off, since my sleep habits are well established and it's hard to go back to sleep...it can be annoying on weekends...Not any more!

4) Increased recovery between sets...calisthenics pyramiding is freakin' brutal. The lactic acid buildup HURTS. While grounded, I've been able to correct some of my form issues while maintaining rep numbers. The lactic acid isn't as intense and it seems to be clearing faster. Don't get me wrong, it still hurts but it isn't as bad. When I workout ungrounded, I'm long into my post workout meal before the burning subsides.

5) Decreased DOMS...Here's something interesting. I remember when I was in high school, I got DOMS the day after lifting. As I've gotten older, they usually begin setting in at the two day mark. For the past two weeks, I've begun getting sore the day after my workouts again. I also heal faster. For the first time in a long time, I'm able to work my calves out 2x per week (it has taken up to 6 days before my soreness subsided). In fact, on Tuesday I was able to add a full step up the pyramid (step 11) which added 21 reps to my calf workout. I'll be working them out again tonight (they feel great).

Observed NEGATIVE Results

1) I don't jump out of bed in the mornings like I used to. It takes some willpower to force myself to get up.

2) Grounding is very relaxing. It has a tendency to make me feel a little less driven when working out. It definitely takes some willpower to push through it.

3) I'm not as swollen during/after my workouts. Pyramiding provides one hell of a pump to go along with the ache. There's nothing like walking in the kitchen after a workout and seeing your wife check you out in your peripheral vision while you strut around like a rooster
:wink: . I still swell and I still have a little ache, but they aren't as intense and they don't last as long. I kinda miss it.

4) I don't recommend being grounded if running barefooted on a treadmill...Yep, I run barefooted for structural reasons...Anyway...I got burned by one of my alligator clips. My theory is that I was either generating enough voltage that the current flowing to ground was enough to burn my skin, or the other way around (negative voltage creating an electrical vacuum).

Thoughts

All of the above being said, let's not discount the placebo effect. I'm sure that comes into play any time I try something new. That's why I waited a couple of weeks instead of posting my initial impressions. Time will tell if things continue to go well.

Here's some more info on earthing/grounding. Something interesting I noticed while reading it is the normalization of morning cortisol levels in stressed individuals. This and the parasympathetic nervous system activation might explain why I can fall back asleep so easily and not being too peppy when the alarm clock goes off. It also makes me wonder if grounding ONLY while sleeping would be better than doing it during a workout...

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3265077/
BrainSquirt

Post by BrainSquirt »

Thanks for a great post thicketman.

In the same time period, I have finally been able run the dogs, prep and plant garden, plant grass seed, and just plain old to get outside early almost every morning barefoot .
Definite ‘cortisol’, etc related benefits… like some chronic trigger points and injuries that had been persistent through winter quickly turned the corner for the better… and even though I’m doing less anti-inflammatory’s and fats Literally having to get used to not being in pain :D or favor/compensate certain movements.

tman, When you get the design of your socket device stablilized, please post schematics and /or parts list… sounds great for cold weather and office and…
is there a real need to split off to two clips ?
do you do the split to hook up both legs ?? etc? Thanks.
aron7awol

Post by aron7awol »

Grounding is also mentioned around page 50 of this presentation:
https://people.csail.mit.edu/seneff/Lond ... se2014.pdf

Dr. Seneff is absolutely brilliant: https://people.csail.mit.edu/seneff/

I highly, highly recommend everyone read her work. She has uncovered life-changing information on cholesterol sulfate deficiency and its role in almost every modern disease.
thicketman

Post by thicketman »

BrainSquirt wrote:
tman, When you get the design of your socket device stablilized, please post schematics and /or parts list…
I'm pretty happy with the device so far. If it changes I will update. I intend to use a 100k ohm resistor. I got all parts at Home Depot. As I mentioned earlier, I'll probably get the resistor from Radio Shack.
is there a real need to split off to two clips ? do you do the split to hook up both legs ?? etc?
The reason I did this was knock out two birds with one stone while experimenting:

1) cover slightly more skin surface area
2) originally, I intended to have some type of copper fitting at the ends so I could either tape the connectors to the soles of my feet, or tuck them into socks while I sleep like the link below shows. Instead, I came across the alligator clips which I figured would be a better method since I could wear them while working out.

https://www.naturesplatform.com/earthing.html
thicketman

Post by thicketman »

P.S. Before going to bed, I attach the alligator clips to the top of my undies, just below my navel. I do this for two reasons:

1) I decided I didn't like the initial idea of taping things to my feet or tucking things into my socks because I figured it could get annoying while trying to fall asleep. In fact, I can't stand to wear socks to bed and I don't even like my feet covered with a sheet or blanket. Where I attach them is barely noticeable while falling asleep.

2) If there really IS something to the chakras, this might contribute to activating the navel chakra. The navel chakra seems to be the Ayurvedic equivalent of the Qi Gong tan dien.

My dad and I used to practice martial arts when I was younger and I've seen some of the effects of focused energetics applied to points along the various meridians of the body in certain combinations. Seeing someone knocked out while being touched on the neck or struck on the forearm doesn't seem possible...but it is.

That being said, I don't believe that the earth's electromagnetic field is the same as "chi" or "prana" (I used to), but perhaps it works in concert with it.

Here's a site that is a mostly above my head, but some of the scientific minds here might enjoy sinking their teeth into it. Does mass free energy exist? Check it out.

https://www.aetherometry.com/
beefcake66

Post by beefcake66 »

Very interesting.

Re running on the treadmill... it was probably building a static charge and went to the best available ground...

Sounds like an awesome thing to try, but I have enough trouble getting out of bed in the mornings as is. But would help me get to sleep quicker...? Hmmm.
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Great thinking/sharing here.

Keep up the good work! :)