Beta-Alanine solo? You're giving up 2/3rds of its benefits!

Serious supplementation, focused on the MASS line at BodyBuildingSupplements.com
RobRegish

Beta-Alanine solo? You're giving up 2/3rds of its benefits!

Post by RobRegish »

UnshavedSlayer said

Q I thought you listed beta-alanine under the supplements not to use in the blueprint Mixelflick? If I remember correctly you stated that levels take so long to reach peak concentration and even then the effects were minimal -> overrated supplements -> mostly hype -> don't buy. Or was this just for the muscle building / strength department?

A. Fair question, here's your honest answer: At the time, I wasn't impressed by BA as a standalone (for muscle growth, which 2.0 is written for), nor am I now. As my thought process evolved though when formulating Synthagen - things started to change. If you're taking it to "beat the burn" etc, that' OK, but NOT if you're using it to build more muscle. This is a long read but worth it. From my research on OA/Carnosine/BA and how they interplay/best used. The FULL write up can be found here if you want a complete understanding of how all the ingredients work together:

CLIFFS

MPS uses Orotic Acid (OA), (not BA) to boost BOTH Carnosine and BA stores

The additional BA I layer in is for a higher purposes: Protein Synthesis
By simultaneously raising levels of BOTH Carnosine and BA, THEN layering more BA on top of that you get all 3 benefits of BA, not just 1!
1.) In most formula's BA works by combining with the EAA L-Histidine*. This results in greater carnosine storage in the muscle, and the ability to get more reps with "X" weight All well and good BUT.

IF (and it's a BIG if) it's placed in a proper matrix of ingredients, BA doesn't need to "siphon off" L-Histidine. Instead, you get 2 other killer benefits:

2.) Is serves to augment Protein Synthesis and,

3.) Accelerates wound healing.

MORE ON OROTIC ACID

OA can be thought of as a non-hormonal anabolic agent, naturally present in the body and having a general stimulating effect on the metabolism. In particular, it stimulates the synthesis of nucleic acids involved in protein synthesis, and enhances repair and regenerative processes in many tissues.

Scientific studies have shown OA to be extremely helpful to athletes. It is unique in its ability to optimize many of the bodily functions critical for strength. Orotic Acid spikes protein synthesis and thus accelerates muscle growth. It increases the ATP production, Creatine and Carnosine leading to greater strength and endurance. It promotes glycogen storage and optimizes oxygen usage, resulting in greater VO2 max.

OA augments protein synthesis/muscle hypertrophy and maximizes protein synthesis on all critical levels. It also plays an active role in DNA/RNA synthesis and was found to augment muscle hypertrophy (8,9).

(8) Meerson FZ. (1969) The myocardium in hyperfunction, hypertrophy and heart failure. Circ.Res. 24/25 (Suppl.2): II146 – II155.
(9) Meerson FZ, Rosanova LS. (1967) Effect of 2703 actinomycin and combination of nucleic acid synthesis activators on the development of fatigue and fitness. Doki. Akad. Nauk. SSSR: 166: 496-499.

A study conducted at the Justus-Liebig University with triathletes in 1998 showed that Orotic Acid improved power, endurance and performance. The testing demonstrated a remarkable increase in oxygen and glucose metabolism, while cortisol and carbon dioxide levels were dramatically reduced.

These results were impressive as they represented a significant difference vs. the placebo group. Orotic Acid´s ability to increase ATP production and regeneration in an oxygen-depleted environment (i.e. weight training) is especially impressive. Better Glucose disposal optimizes Glycogen storage. More glycogen = faster gycolysis, which as we'll see later on offers BIG benefits.

There is still LOTS more…

The positive influence of Orotic Acid on ATP levels (10,11)

(10) Richards SM, Conyers RAJ, Fisher JL, Rosenfeldt FL. (1997) Cardioprotection by Orotic Acid: Metabolism and mechanism of action. J.Mol.Cell.Cardiol. 29: 3239-3250.
(11) Williams JF, Donohoe J, Lykke A, Kolos G. (1976) Studies using orotic acid for improving the controlled development of myocardial hypertrophy. Aust.NZ.J.Med. 6 (Suppl.2): 60-71.

OA increases nucleotide pools and cellular energy stores (12)

(12) Kypson J, Hait G, Mathew R. (1978) Effects of uridine on the performance and the metabolism of oxygenated and hypoxic rabbit hearts. J Mol Cell Cardiol. 10: 545-565.

Orotic Acid increased ribose moieties (R-1-P & R-5-P) leading to enhanced ribose formation (13)

(13) Olivares J, Rossi A. (1982) Incorporation of orotic acid in myocardial uridine nucleotides: effect of isoproterenol and ribose. J.Physiol. (Paris). 78: 175-178.

OA increases muscle carnosine stores (14)

(14) Aonuma S, Hama T, Tamaki N, Okumura H. (1969) Orotate as a -alanine donor for anserine and carnosine biosynthesis and effects of actinomycin D and azauracil on their pathway. J.Biochem. 66: 123-133.

FASTER WOUND HEALING

The combination of Carnosine and Beta-Alanine offers even MORE to the athlete than previously elucidated: Two very desireable benefits – It promotes tissue repair and also accelerates wound healing (20).

(20) https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3095942

THE BOTTOM LINE

MPS: It fuels, refuels, feeds and flat out out-performs anything else on the market

Or I could have just said, trust me? Laugh

- See more at: https://forum.predatornutrition.com/foru ... -2/#p29177