questions for beginner, feast phase

Learn, share, ADVANCE. Bodybuilding, Sports & Endurance Training Tips & Discussion
beerbaron105

questions for beginner, feast phase

Post by beerbaron105 »

hey, currently studying the book, I have a couple questions,

1. So from my understanding, durin the feast phase, one would do the workouts 1-5 in order to establish your 1 rep max for bench and squat.. In order to move into the german loading pattern?

2. German loading pattern, designed to be used in concert with the barbell lift of choice? Can you elaborate, I see 6 workouts and 6 sets, but how many exercises and body parts am I hitting for each workout?

3. How often do I perform the initial 5 workouts,twice a week, how long before I start the german loading phase, and what is the frequency of workouts for that?

thank you!!
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

OK here we go..

1. So from my understanding, durin the feast phase, one would do the workouts 1-5 in order to establish your 1 rep max for bench and squat.. In order to move into the german loading pattern?

A. Yes sir, you have it correct!

2. German loading pattern, designed to be used in concert with the barbell lift of choice? Can you elaborate, I see 6 workouts and 6 sets, but how many exercises and body parts am I hitting for each workout?

A. Yes sir. Most use one lift (bench, for example) but you can use up to 2 (bench and squat or bench/deadlift).

If hitting one big barbell lift (bench let's say), you'd be hitting both the upper body pushing muscles AND the antagonistic muscles of the back in a loaded stretch movement of choice.

If applying to the squat, you'd be likewise hitting the hams, etc.

3. How often do I perform the initial 5 workouts,twice a week, how long before I start the german loading phase, and what is the frequency of workouts for that?

A. Suggest a one on two off pattern. Doing so should ensure complete recovery. If not, suggest inserting an extra rest day where needed.

Suggest waiting 2-3 days after hitting your 1RM before starting German loading pattern #1. Frequency for German loading pattern #1 is generally 1 on 2 off or thereabouts..

Hope that helps!
flex3d

Post by flex3d »

I am not understanding it either..

EDIT:
I think I understand it now:

Day 1: Bench Press + Squats 6 sets (also 6 stretching movements?)
OFF
OFF
Day 2: Bench Press + Squats 6 sets

Basically doing the same 1-2 exercises every 2-3 days from my understanding.
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

It's coming Flex3d... you're getting there..

If you're looking to split the days up (one upper body day, one lower) you can begin with a one on/one off frequency as follows:

On the 6 workout German Loading Pattern if peaking 2 lifts (BP and SQ, lets say). Suggest a one on, two off frequency to start. Insert an extra rest day if necessary:

DAY 1 - Bench Press

1.) Perform your 6 sets of German Loading Pattern 1. Take adequate rest between sets to ensure complete intra-set recovery.

2.) Perform the following stretch position supersets in EDT fashion

Decline dumbell bench press immediately into;
Seated cable rows (horizontal rows)

4 rounds of each with 2-3 minutes in between sets. The particulars;

- Alternate antagonistic muscle exercises in jump set fahion
- Staley's generally uses 15-20 minutes, (called a PR Zones).
- You perform one PR Zones per workout.
- Your target weight is one that you can do 10 clean reps with.
- You will begin with alternating sets of 5 or 6 reps.
- As you tire, you may reduce set reps to 4 then 2 and end with singles.
- Your goal is to do as many reps with good form as possible in the PR Zone.
- Do not work to, or near failure in the early sets.
- You may reach failure at the end as you try to beat your previous record.
- Once able to do 20% more reps than your prior workout, increase load 5% and begin again.

3.) Finish with static holds

Decline barbell bench press: Hold as much weight as you can in the strongest range (1-2" below lockout) for 5-10 seconds. Perform two static holds in this fashion

DAY 2 - SQ

1.) Perform your 6 sets of German Loading Pattern 1 for the SQ. Take adequate rest between sets to ensure complete intra-set recovery.

2.) Perform the following movements in EDT fashion as above:

Romanian Deadlifts
Leg sled

There will be no static holds or other likely other work done for this workout. It's absolutely exhausting with big muscle groups being force fed total tonnage in very, very generous amounts due to utilization of movements that permit massive overload.

Hope that helps..