Famine Phase and Central Nervous System

Unfiltered Tips & Techniques centered around Blueprint Training
BrainSquirt

Famine Phase and Central Nervous System

Post by BrainSquirt »

Over in Rob's journal I posted
For my next Phase1, I want to 'engineer' a plan that will definitely stress the muscle side of things but protect the CNS side of things (yes - while acknowledging that is not a real distinction).
Basically, I'm looking to still 'overtrain', fast, flush, etc quite radically but also tune - even megadose if necessary - nonstimulant brain foods, supplementation, etc. and explore other ways to support CNS - up until the last full day or so of Phase 1, so that my brain doesn't get way more impacted than my musculature and way behind in recovering too.

Rob replied -
Looking forward to your log on that one. I know what you're (saying and I do try and make that distinction in The Blueprint. For example, I recommend against static holds/negatives in Famine saying that the objective is to deplete the muscle, not fry your CNS.

So, I made the distinction too. It sounds though like you may need some additional support insofar as mitigating the effect your barin gets from Famine training.

Let's keep that dialogue going (separate thread) as it represents an interesting concept and I have some ideas for you.
Thanks. Starting to prepase for second Phase 1 and would welcome those ideas now ... First time around it didn't take much to "fry" my CNS :)

(mod - please delete double posts # 2 and # 3 from Rob's journal. Thx)
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Nice to hear from you again Brain. Here we go...

Given your objectives, I'd recommend the following modifications to your next Famine Phase:

TRAINING

- Follow the "3 workout" template given in The Blueprint
- Instead of compound, free weight exercise focus on machine based training where your CNS isn't challenged to balance the weight when pushing/pulling

The combination of such should result in less total CNS stress, adequate depletion and minimal impact on the brain. The muscle substrate depletion will still be accomplished.

DIET

- Still observe the daily caloric limit cited in The Blueprint
- Incorporate more organic foods during this time. Yes it's more expensive but given the short duration, doable

SUPPLEMENTATION

- Be wary of incorporating anything that will improve muscle ATP/PC/buffering capacity. That means no creatine/carnosine/beta-alanine/BCAA's, L-Glutamine etc.
- Cleansing supps such as daily detox formulas are OK
- Incorporate supplements that will preserve-build acetylcholine levels/transmission in the brain

So we're talking about nootropics. There are many but they all have the same objective: to improve acetylcholine transmission.

Tops on my list would be GABA (Gamma GH). This should be taken in 5gram doses (start SLOWLY and work up to this if unfamiliar with this compound) on an empty stomach. 5 grams before bed with perhaps another 5g dose in the middle of the night if you're in the habbit of getting up.

Many nootropics are precursors to acetylcholine (Lecithin, choline itself or DMAE). Still others inhibit the enzyme that breaks acetylcholine down (such as Huperzine A). There are also those that improve cholinergic reception (Piracetem/Anaricetem). The most basic improve blood flow to the brain (Ginkgo Biloba, Vinpocetine..an extract of periwinkle).

The current nootropic darling is Alpha GPC. While there is some good science behind these and other exotic nootropics, you can drop a LOT of dough experimenting with this class of nutriceuticals. Therefore, in order to devise an effective, cost effective stack I'd offering the following advice:

- Pick up a pound or so of Lecithin granuals (available at most supermarkets) and consume 2-3 tablespoons daily.
- 5g of Gamma GH prior to bedtime on an empty stomach

Lecithin can be found in a variety of foods including egg yolks, milk, meats, fish, and legumes..... the very protein foods missing in this phase. Every cell in your body contains these phospholipids and the functioning of your nervous system may be compromised if you're deficient.

The GABA is a cheap, research proven and easily implemented strategy. It'll also provide the added bonus of helping you sleep (for most, anyway) and strengthen tendons that'll be tested during the tranistion to Feast.

I hope that helps Brain. Please let me know if you have any further questions.
BrainSquirt

Post by BrainSquirt »

That does help, Rob!
Great, grounded suggestions
Thanks
Have a great long weekend.