Mike Mentzer's Heavy Duty - Chest and Back

Unfiltered Tips & Techniques centered around Blueprint Training
RobRegish

Mike Mentzer's Heavy Duty - Chest and Back

Post by RobRegish »

I recommend Mike's "Heavy Duty" as ideal to use during the Feast Phase of The Blueprint. I consulted with Mike prior to his death and found him to be a borderline brilliant man, deeply routed in his training and philosophical beliefs. Whatever you think of Mike, he left a lasting contribution in the form of his training theory. Here then, are the suggested routines direct from Mike's very own Heavy Duty courses:

Chest and Back Routines

"I work my back and chest on separate days, the chest on Monday and Thursday, along with triceps and legs; and the back on Tuesday and Friday, along with delts and biceps."

Chest Routine #1
1. Dumbbell flyes
2. Inclines Press 1-2 cycles
3. Dips – 1-2 sets
Chest Routine #2
1. Incline press – 1 set
2. Dumbbell flyes
3. Dips 2 cycles
Back Routine #1
1. Straight arm pulldown
2. Close grip underhand pulldown 2 cycles
3. Rows – 2 sets
4. Shrugs
5. Upright rows 2 cycles
Back Routine #2
1. Close grip underhand pulldown 2 sets
2. Straight arm pulldown
3. Rows – 2 sets
4. Shrugs
5. Upright rows 2 cycles

Tips

1. Select weights in your exercises that allow for at least six good positive reps, then continue with forced and negative
reps.
2. There should be absolutely no rest between exercises listed in a cycle. Between cycles and different muscle groups,
rest long enough to catch your breath. Don’t rush through the workout in order to beat the clock. As you progress,
rest time between cycles and muscle groups should decrease.
3. Never do more work than listed. Doing more is never the answer to stimulating more growth; harder training is the
answer, and that prevents more work.
4. Add the negatives to your workouts only once a week.
5. Carry every set to a point of positive failure at least, where you can no longer raise the weight, every workout.
6. Warm up as much as you feel is necessary before training.
7. Alternate the listed routines as often as you like. The important thing is that you adhere to the basic tenets of the
Heavy Duty Training System at all times.
8. The routines can be used by beginners and advanced bodybuilders alike. The intensity generated during the workouts
will vary according to the individual’s existing level of strength and development.

His books are well worth the investment, as are his audio tapes (if still available). I believe his life's work (via his website) is currently being carried on by Pete Sisco, author of "Power Factor Training", another Blueprint recommendation.