Mike Mentzer's Heavy Duty - Legs, calves

Unfiltered Tips & Techniques centered around Blueprint Training
RobRegish

Mike Mentzer's Heavy Duty - Legs, calves

Post by RobRegish »

I recommend Mike's "Heavy Duty" as ideal to use during the Feast Phase of The Blueprint. I consulted with Mike prior to his death and found him to be a borderline brilliant man, deeply routed in his training and philosophical beliefs. Whatever you think of Mike, he left a lasting contribution in the form of his training theory. Here then, are the suggested routines direct from Mike's very own Heavy Duty courses:

Leg Routine #1

1. Leg extensions
2. Squats
3. Negative-accentuated leg press 1 tri-set
4. Leg curls – 2 sets
5. Toe press (on leg sled) – 3 sets

Leg Routine #2

1. Leg extensions
2. Leg press 1 cycle
3. Squats
4. Leg curls – 2 sets
5. Standard calf raise on machine – 2 sets
6. Toe press – 1 set

Tips

1. Select weights in your exercises that allow for at least six to eight strict reps. If you have a partner, have him help you
force out two more.
2. There should be absolutely no rest between exercises listed as a cycle or a tri-set.
3. Never do more work than listed. Work the legs no more than twice a week and don’t perform more sets than I have
listed.
4. Because of the delicacy of the knees, it is important that you perform all exercises in a slow and deliberate manner.
5. Carry every set to a point of positive failure at least, where you can no longer raise the weight for a full rep, every
workout.
6. Perform negative-accentuated exercise once a week for the legs.
7. Warm-up the knees and legs with a few light sets before training.
8. Alternate the listed routines as often as you desire. The important thing is that you adhere to the basic tenets of the
Heavy Duty Training System at all times.
9. The routines can be used by beginners and advanced bodybuilders alike. The intensity generated during the workouts
will vary according to the individual’s existing level of strength and development.

Again, Mike's "Heavy Duty" series of books and tapes are well worth the investment and provide a firm grasp of the fundamentals of high intensity, anaerobic exercise.