No Spotter

Learn, share, ADVANCE. Bodybuilding, Sports & Endurance Training Tips & Discussion
symchykp

No Spotter

Post by symchykp »

Would you guys suggest free benching with less weight when you're by yourself? or bench at a squat rack or something?

Thanks,

Kyle
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

I personally bench in a squat rack with the safety's. IMPORTANT: Make sure you perform some dry runs with JUST THE BAR to make sure you're safe!
symchykp

Post by symchykp »

Ok but would lifting lighter be ok? This is my second run on the blueprint and I had a spotter for the first so was able to go heavy. Just curious if any results will not show because I am not lifting the MOST. Just the most i can do by myself.

Thanks,

Kyle
EricTheRed

Post by EricTheRed »

what about a smith rack?
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Yes, you could certainly use that. I'm not a huge fan BUT safety is the concern here... and well it should be!
beachpirate

Post by beachpirate »

I would suggest you still push yourself and when you reach the heavier weights, ask for a spotter. I have lifted solo for the last year and a half and noticed that I really limited my potential and was just going through the motions. When I started the Blueprint I had no choice but to ask for a spot. In doing so I was more confident with my lifts and realized I could do alittle more than I thought. Most guys are willing to lend a spot when needed. Don't be afraid to ask.

When all else fails try the power rack with safety engaged or smith machine.
scump

Post by scump »

if your using the rails in a power cage (squat rack type) then you can still do heavy weights... mind you not the same as having a spot.

i work out at home so dont have a spot, wish i did alot of the time.
Sisonpyh

Post by Sisonpyh »

scump wrote:if your using the rails in a power cage (squat rack type) then you can still do heavy weights... mind you not the same as having a spot.

i work out at home so dont have a spot, wish i did alot of the time.
Why is that Scump? I have a power rack at my house and lift as heavy as I want. I never had a problem that the rails could not handle.
scump

Post by scump »

when i bench with the rails, if the bar falls onto my head it will hit, i have to pretty much guide it to my stomach or an exhaled chest lol.

and a spot also helps getting the heavy weight up, and if your struggling or cant get up a last set, the spot is there to help you bail out.

im not talking about an actual physical load being to much for the rails.