Best Joint Supplement is one you can make easily

Learn, share, DISCOVER. Training Table Tips & Diet Discussion
matter2003

Best Joint Supplement is one you can make easily

Post by matter2003 »

I started having some issues with my knees due to heavy squats/leg presses/leg extensions and needed to look into something to help joint pain. I was shocked to see how expensive supplements were for joints. Luckily my parents are both health freaks(they literally could open their own vitamin/herb store with what they have in their house) and they gave me a magazine they prescribe to by Dr. David Williams called Alternative Medicine.

Basically, he is a certified doctor who is sick and tired of the drug companies pushing products that many times aren't necessary and are less effective than easily available natural remedies.

One of the topics was "You don't need expensive supplements for joint health" and he talked about the outstanding properties of "bone broth". He explained that up until very recently, families used every part of the animal when they bought it...they ate the meat and organs, then used the leftover bones/cartilege in soups. Nowadays many kids probably have never even seen a whole chicken with the prevalence of chicken breast and cut varieties of meat only. He also goes on to say that this is behind what he believes are the increasing rates of joint disorders and arthritis.

He states that bone broth is the best supplement you can get for joints. It contains everything that joint compounds do but with added minerals that occur naturally in bones as well, that these compounds do not. I can attest firsthand that this works extremely well, as my knees have been almost normal after the first few weeks I have started drinking it.

Before starting, make sure you are using a ceramic/porcelain pot or a stainless steel pot. Do not use aluminum as it can leach out into the broth. You can use a slow cooker as well, but you will need to increase the time by about 1/3.

It is very simple to prepare, basically you take all the leftover bones, cartilege, skin, etc and toss it into a pot. You can also toss any leftover eggshells in, as they contain the same type of compounds. Cover the bones with water. Add a few tablespoons of vinegar or lemon juice per quart of water and let it sit for 30 minutes after stirring it to mix everything up. The acid in the vinegar/lemon juice starts breaking down the bones. Bring the mixture to a boil and then turn it down to a simmer and cover the pot. Leave alone for 4-6 hours for fish, 6-8 hours for poultry or 8 to 12 hours for beef. After it is done, strain the juice into a bowl and either drink or put in refrigerator. After sitting for a while in the refrigerator, you will notice that it looks exactly like gelatin, which it pretty much is, but with more nutrients.

I recommend drinking a cup a day, and the batches I make usually last about 6 or 7 days. You can get the bones cheap from buying whole chickens which you can get for about .85/lb or even cheaper if you use chicken leg quarters, which you can get for about .59/lb or less.

You joints will thank you and so will your wallet!

EDIT:

***VIP: DO NOT microwave this to heat it up, do so on the stove. Microwaving it deactivates much o the good properties and can potentially turn some of them toxic to your body...
tufluk

Post by tufluk »

i havent herd of that before, may have to try it, bet it taste great :shock:

i picked up some super cissus rx for when i have shoulder impingement problems, 2 caps for a week and it clears it right up for me, I know rob and some others like it on here as well
matter2003

Post by matter2003 »

tufluk wrote:i havent herd of that before, may have to try it, bet it taste great :shock:

i picked up some super cissus rx for when i have shoulder impingement problems, 2 caps for a week and it clears it right up for me, I know rob and some others like it on here as well
actually it tastes like chicken broth or like whats left over if you eat all the noodles in chicken noodle soup...I haven't tried to eat it like a jello
KE

Post by KE »

I agree with tufluk. I tried the super cissus and have had pretty good results with "old" type aches and pains.
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

What a fantastic contribution!!

Thanks so much, matter2003!!!
Big.jazayrli

Post by Big.jazayrli »

interesting. I have my first bottle of supercissus Rx (I've tried primaforce cissus before) and my first bottle of epharm joint force in the mail, we'll see how they go o.O
beefcake66

Post by beefcake66 »

My joints have been in terrible shape lately (my bum knee got better but is kinda bum again. Elbows and Hips are giving me trouble too)... So I'm going to try to make this next time I buy chicken. Gonna make a soup of it... Adding veggies wouldn't ruin this right?
matter2003

Post by matter2003 »

beefcake66 wrote:My joints have been in terrible shape lately (my bum knee got better but is kinda bum again. Elbows and Hips are giving me trouble too)... So I'm going to try to make this next time I buy chicken. Gonna make a soup of it... Adding veggies wouldn't ruin this right?
Nope, feel free to add the veggies in...just make sure you cook it long enough to get the good stuff out of the bones tho...6-8 hours for poultry...
beefcake66

Post by beefcake66 »

I'll be using my slowcooker on low while I'm at work I think :)
matter2003

Post by matter2003 »

beefcake66 wrote:I'll be using my slowcooker on low while I'm at work I think :)
This will work, but you need to add about 1/3 the time for proper results...
so add an additional 2-3 hours...
beefcake66

Post by beefcake66 »

Perfect - put it on at 6am, have with dinner at 8pm :D

I'll report back in with how I actually do with it when I get the chicken and put it on!

Would be it alright to put an entire cooked chicken breast (with bone/skin) in the pot? Or just use the bones?
matter2003

Post by matter2003 »

beefcake66 wrote:Perfect - put it on at 6am, have with dinner at 8pm :D

I'll report back in with how I actually do with it when I get the chicken and put it on!

Would be it alright to put an entire cooked chicken breast (with bone/skin) in the pot? Or just use the bones?
Yes, you can put the meat in there as well...
beefcake66

Post by beefcake66 »

Made some over the weekend with 4 bone-in skinless chicken breasts...
I may have added too much lemon juice! Spiced it up and added noodles since.

I'll be having my first bowl tonight, hopefully it tastes awesome :) I can tell its going to be a lot fattier than I'm used to dealing with but I think I can handle it for the benefits.
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Sounds yummy... :)