BP Journal - 1st Timer

Unfiltered Tips & Techniques centered around Blueprint Training
doc

BP Journal - 1st Timer

Post by doc »

So, last Sunday was the beginning of the program for me. To kickstart the famine phase, I ate normal until dinner (6pm) and then went into a 24-hour fast ala the "Eat, Stop, Eat" program. In this system, you are allowed water and that's it, but you are already full from dinner, and when you wake up, the day goes right into work. Next thing you know, you're coming home and it's almost dinner time. This is really easy to do.

After that, it was on to fruits, vegetables and meager amounts of protein until Friday night, where a juicy, homemade cheeseburger started the feast phase in proper fashion.

As with most of the other journals I've read, day 4 and 5 get a wee bit weakening to the system. I was feelin' pretty tired early in the evening's of the last 2 days, and lacked motivation past the workouts. However, that being said, I truly find the famine phase easier to handle than the feast phase. I know that's weird, but I've never been that guy who was comfortable pushin' calories. When you are asked to do so, if you don't have the perfect digestive system, you really gain a new respect for professional bodybuilders, from the standpoint of eating. It is absolutely mandatory to have a caloric surplus to build big muscles, and that in itself is WORK. Now, it could be argued that you could get 2200 calories right off the bat with a Mickey D's "big breakfast" and be almost home for the day. But, we're not talkin' about stuffin' in junk, we are talkin' about putting in quality fuel. That, without argument, takes a real commitment!

So, after the famine week, my 6 foot 190 lb body went from 10.5 % bodyfat, to 9% and I went down to 187.

I get my first 6 X 6 german training workout tomorrow, and I'll log in after the week.
My case might be a bit unique/different, because I will NOT be testing to determine my 1-rep max in anything. (at least not using 1-rep) While being in pretty damn good shape for my 43 years, I am just finishing a 6 month rehab from a bad, labrum tear in my left shoulder (golf w/too much lifting), as well as a history of 2 elbow surgeries (right and left), 3 knee surgeries (1 major, 2 arthroscopic) and a 4-year run (5 years ago) of multiple epidural shots for some herniated discs at the time.

If anyone can give me a formula of how to best determine my 1-rep max, say using 5 reps, I would be most appreciative. I am using this program to strengthen and repair my shoulder as well as fortify the rest of my bod against further injury. I seem to workout just fine these days, but the powerlifting days must be left far behind, and I now know I must take care to recup between workouts. (I still think I can make this work though!)
askmass
Site Admin

Post by askmass »

Doc, just a quick note to say- Yes, you CAN make this work and make it work wonders!

I haven't done much of anything under 4-5 reps for the past several years, and in fact since I've taken up long distance biking in such a big way, I don't squat or do anything direct for legs in the weight room.

I was an old school, hardcore heavy squatter for so long back in the day, the deadlift too, but no way will my right knee allow it anymore.

Point being, I've made fantastic gains via BP both in the weight room on bench, military press, rows, curls, etc. and ALSO have seen huge improvements in my cycling times and totals as well.

BP makes your muscularity dense, full and strong, period.

The program is extremely adaptable, to the point I feel virtually any athlete can incorporate it and see significant success.

All the best to you, Doc, and Rob will no doubt reply with a more detailed and specific response.
RobRegish

Re: BP Journal - 1st Timer

Post by RobRegish »

doc wrote:So, last Sunday was the beginning of the program for me. To kickstart the famine phase, I ate normal until dinner (6pm) and then went into a 24-hour fast ala the "Eat, Stop, Eat" program. In this system, you are allowed water and that's it, but you are already full from dinner, and when you wake up, the day goes right into work. Next thing you know, you're coming home and it's almost dinner time. This is really easy to do.

After that, it was on to fruits, vegetables and meager amounts of protein until Friday night, where a juicy, homemade cheeseburger started the feast phase in proper fashion.

As with most of the other journals I've read, day 4 and 5 get a wee bit weakening to the system. I was feelin' pretty tired early in the evening's of the last 2 days, and lacked motivation past the workouts. However, that being said, I truly find the famine phase easier to handle than the feast phase. I know that's weird, but I've never been that guy who was comfortable pushin' calories. When you are asked to do so, if you don't have the perfect digestive system, you really gain a new respect for professional bodybuilders, from the standpoint of eating. It is absolutely mandatory to have a caloric surplus to build big muscles, and that in itself is WORK. Now, it could be argued that you could get 2200 calories right off the bat with a Mickey D's "big breakfast" and be almost home for the day. But, we're not talkin' about stuffin' in junk, we are talkin' about putting in quality fuel. That, without argument, takes a real commitment!

So, after the famine week, my 6 foot 190 lb body went from 10.5 % bodyfat, to 9% and I went down to 187.

I get my first 6 X 6 german training workout tomorrow, and I'll log in after the week.
My case might be a bit unique/different, because I will NOT be testing to determine my 1-rep max in anything. (at least not using 1-rep) While being in pretty damn good shape for my 43 years, I am just finishing a 6 month rehab from a bad, labrum tear in my left shoulder (golf w/too much lifting), as well as a history of 2 elbow surgeries (right and left), 3 knee surgeries (1 major, 2 arthroscopic) and a 4-year run (5 years ago) of multiple epidural shots for some herniated discs at the time.

If anyone can give me a formula of how to best determine my 1-rep max, say using 5 reps, I would be most appreciative. I am using this program to strengthen and repair my shoulder as well as fortify the rest of my bod against further injury. I seem to workout just fine these days, but the powerlifting days must be left far behind, and I now know I must take care to recup between workouts. (I still think I can make this work though!)
Welcom Doc, and thanks for posting your log!

Nice work on the Famine Phase. That's an interesting diet you're using and I hadn't heard it go by that name before. Sounds like you're in great shape and a 1% drop in bodyfat in 5 days is outstanding. In fact, it sounds like all 3lbs were fat.

Understand your situation and the modifications that it may require. First, pushing the calories certainly is a chore. It's been said that the real battle is won or lost in this game with the knife and fork, and I couldn't agree more. To that end, I'd suggest the following: Much easier to drink those calories than eat them. Here are two options:

1.) Pour the following ingredients into a blender:

- 12 oz of Pineapple juice
- 2 cups of skim milk powder (alternatively, 3-5 scoops of Mass Pro or your favorite protein powder)
- 1 large banana
- 2 containers of liquid egg whites (back in the day, this was 6 raw eggs!)
- 1 tablespoon of raw/organic wheat germ
- 1 container of plain yogurt
- 2/3 scoops low-fat ice cream (Ok I used full fat but what the hell..)

Place into large thermos and sip slowly with every meal.

2.) MASS PRO Heavy Weight Gainer

Blend the following:

* 3 scoops Chocolate MASS PRO or your favorite Protein
* 1 banana
* 1/3 cup plain yogurt
* 4 heaping tbsp. natural peanut butter
* 2 tbsp. Ultimate Omega oil
* Contents of 2 ALKAPLEX GREEN capsules or other alkalizing food concentrate
* 2 cups whole milk

Beats any so-called weight gainer powder, hands down. If calories are still a problem, substitute 1 cup heavy cream plus one cup of milk for the 2 cups of whole milk in this recipe. Problem solved. Many other delicious MassPro recipes found here: https://bodybuildingsupplements.com/protein-recipes.html

Finally, if interested in staying lean throughout the Feast Phase, I'd recommend the descending caloric spiral I outline in The Blueprint. Does a really nice job of making sure all the gains are muscle..

Now, to solve your 5RM estimation problem please use the following link:

https://www.nsca-lift.org/fly%20solo%20p ... onearm.asp

Pretty darn accurate in my experience.

You sound pretty banged up Doc, but it's also obvious you're one determined guy. I like the gritty attitude. Fits well with The Blueprint.

Guts, I say.
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

You out there Doc?