Rob's Blueprint Run

Unfiltered Tips & Techniques centered around Blueprint Training
RobRegish

Rob's Blueprint Run

Post by RobRegish »

Yep, starting May 25th I'll be logging my latest Blueprint run. Here's what I have sketched out:

Famine Phase: For this go-around I'll be adhering to a strict detox/cleansing protocol focused more on raw foods. Training wise, I'm going to implement the (less severe) 3 session Famine Phase training alternative I sketch out in The BluePrint.

I'm going to keep a keen eye on protein excretion via MultiStix to see how much more/less tissue breakdown is generated, share my scale weight changes and of course, subjective feedback on physical/mental changes during this time.

Feast Phase: Here I'll be training with the very intense, high frequency, high volume German Volume Loading protocol. As such, I'll be using MassPro Amino/BCAA loading protocol #2 as found in The Blueprint and 5-6 caps/day of KA a day to maximize recovery. Calorie patterning will follow the tapered descending caloric spiral I outline in the BluePrint.

Very excited for this as it represents a further refinement of my past experiences which as you can imagine, are extensive. As you know, it gets better the more you work with it.

I'd like to personally thank John for the tip on raw foods for incorporation into the Famine Phase. Brain, your comments pertaining to a less severe training alternative during the famine were helpful too. Although I've historically done very well with the daily training I recommend (most do), I thought it a good time to re-visit the 3 day protocol.

See you all May 25th!
BrainSquirt

Deprivation - without brain damage...

Post by BrainSquirt »

Thanks for outlining your plan Rob.

For my next Phase1, I want to 'engineer' a plan that will definitely stress the muscle side of things but protect the CNS side of things (yes - while acknowledging that is not a real distinction).
Basically, I'm looking to still 'overtrain', fast, flush, etc quite radically but also tune - even megadose if necessary - nonstimulant brain foods, supplementation, etc. and explore other ways to support CNS - up until the last full day or so of Phase 1, so that my brain doesn't get way more impacted than my musculature and way behind in recovering too.
RobRegish

Re: Deprivation - without brain damage...

Post by RobRegish »

BrainSquirt wrote:Thanks for outlining your plan Rob.

For my next Phase1, I want to 'engineer' a plan that will definitely stress the muscle side of things but protect the CNS side of things (yes - while acknowledging that is not a real distinction).
Basically, I'm looking to still 'overtrain', fast, flush, etc quite radically but also tune - even megadose if necessary - nonstimulant brain foods, supplementation, etc. and explore other ways to support CNS - up until the last full day or so of Phase 1, so that my brain doesn't get way more impacted than my musculature and way behind in recovering too.
Looking forward to your log on that one. I know what you're saying and I do try and make that distinction in The Blueprint. For example, I recommend against static holds/negatives in Famine saying that the objective is to deplete the muscle, not fry your CNS.

So, I made the distinction too. It sounds though like you may need some additional support insofar as mitigating the effect your barin gets from Famine training.

Let's keep that dialogue going (separate thread) as it represents an interesting concept and I have some ideas for you.
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Day 1, Famine Phase

I've elected the "3 day" Famine Phase workout format this time around to see if it makes a noticeable difference vs the usual every day frequency.

Early morning workout as detailed in The Blueprint "3 day" recommendation for legs, back and bi's. Worked hip belt squats, some reverse hypers, pullups and some bent over rows. I do the weighted pullups underhanded and typically get a lot of bicep activation that way.

The rest periods left me a bit winded due to good weight selection but it really wasn't too bad. I've gotten used to slightly higher volume in my maintenance phase. Typically, day 1 isn't too taxing but I know what's coming.

On to the live foods later today and not many at that.

NOTES: It's almost a relief not having to consume so much food, prepare the peri-workout drink etc. that goes on in the other phases. In fact, this is one of the facets of The Blueprint I enjoy most... the variety. I can already detect a mental difference. It's almost liberating.

I'll post where I can in the coming days (on vacation this week and doing day trips with the family).
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Day 2 Famine Phase

Did 1 hour of fasted state cardio this AM. Nothing fancy, job/fast walk/jog etc. Hunger isn't a problem yet, although I noted energy slump late afternoon yesterday.

Tissue breadown has already started per the multistix. Tomorrow (day 3) is usually when I feel it..
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Day 3, Famine Phase

Workout #2 as recommended in The Blueprint.

My, what a difference. Early morning session with the accelerated rest intervals. Upper body strength loss is noticeable. Feeling pretty beaten down and DEFINATELY in an accelerated state of protein breakdown now. It's early so I'm still not very hungry. Will be interesting to see where I'm at later today.

Doing a modified Warrior style diet. I find it's a bit more convenient/benficial to get most calories in late during the day (I sleep better when I'm full). Overall I'm right about where I thought I'd be..... and starting to look forward to Feast!
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Day 4

Well, yesterday I definately hit the wall. Got to the point in the day where my blood sugar totally crashed and I felt VERY depleted. Took the family to Cooperstown/Hall of Fame. When we got back into the car my 3 year old asked me "Daddy, what's wrong?" I asked him why he thought something was wrong. He said..... "because you don't look happy".

Thank kind of broke my heart.

So, I suppose I'm doing my job but it does highlight the fact you need to be mindful of just how powerful an effect Famine has on both your physical and phsychological outlook. Two more days and I'll be happy Rob again once I start re-feeding...

The rest of day 4 wasn't too bad. It seems day 3 gets you over the hump. I did add another hour of long distance cardio today (bike ride). The protein breakdown continues to accelerate per the Multistix measurements.
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Day 5 early morning workout with the shorter rest intervals outlined in The Blueprint.

Wow. What a difference when working legs/back with such short intervals. It just totally trashed me and now I just need to make it through another day of light, light eating.

I'll weigh in later today but as of this morning, I was down a full 4/5lbs so darn near 1lb/day during this phase which is my usual. Starting to see it too given the depleted state..

Energy is sapped but I've made it through the tough part. Can't WAIT to eat tomorrow!
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Well, I made it through the 5 day Famine Phase. Observations:

- The "3 day" protocol did the job as measured by Multistix. Protein excretion was accelerated.
- It also resulted in a waking heart rate about 10 beats per minute greater than baseline, so that was in check.
- Felt pretty depleted. Not as much as with the 5 day protocol, but depleted nonetheless.
- Likely not as much CNS stress, which MAY be beneficial rebounding into the Feast Phase. We'll see...

Overall very good start. The incorporation of "live foods/organic foods" was a strong positive. I just felt better. Tough to explain.

Onward and upward. I start eating today and begin my 3 caps/day of Kre-Anabolyn!
askmass
Site Admin

Post by askmass »

RobRegish wrote:The incorporation of "live foods/organic foods" was a strong positive. I just felt better. Tough to explain.
That's great, Rob.

It really does make a difference, and not just in phase 1 but everyday life.
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Thanks John. This was another great contribution on behalf of users that made The Blueprint better. Much better..

OK. It's day 2 of the Feast and I'm loving it! Have re-gained 3.5 lbs in just 2 days and I'm feeling very "full" in the muscle bellies.

I've noticed something curious about the new Kre-Anabolyn, which I'll post in the supplements forum.

I'm using the super-shake recipe as my "base" during this phase, essentially adding a big glass to every sold food meal/consuming in-between meals. Can't WAIT to hit the weights in a few days..
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Last day of eating-only today and I can't wait to hit the weights tomorrow morning. Feeling VERY full and although early, 3 KA/day feels like 4-5 of the previous version. Also, the nitrogen retention on the Multistix lasts longer, almost 1/2 hr. longer.

Way to go on the upgrade.

I'll report back as to how the first workout went.
askmass
Site Admin

Post by askmass »

RobRegish wrote:Last day of eating-only today and I can't wait to hit the weights tomorrow morning. Feeling VERY full and although early, 3 KA/day feels like 4-5 of the previous version. Also, the nitrogen retention on the Multistix lasts longer, almost 1/2 hr. longer.

Way to go on the upgrade.
Thank you for saying so, Rob.

Coming from you that means a lot to us.
BrainSquirt

Post by BrainSquirt »

Rob, If you have time, could you provide a little more detail about the meals, liquids, and timing of your usual transition to Feast phase?
Starting with water loading was mentioned? Etc...
Do you 'break the fast' at night or next morning?
Many thanks.