Rob's Blueprint Run

Unfiltered Tips & Techniques centered around Blueprint Training
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

OK here's the deal. I'm up a full 9+lbs going into tomorrow's final (1RM) workout.

I am seeing a bit of a slowdown in weight gained (likely due to lowering the calorie levels) but as you can see, it's still coming.

Full write up tomorrow including:

1.) Famine phase overview, including resting heart rate start/finish, notes on Multistix testing, bodyweight, the 3 day training template, etc.

2.) Feast phase overview including resting heart rate start/finish, Multistix data, bodyweight, descending caloric spiral observations, KA V.4.0 notes, some surprising findings on PH readings, BCAA loading protocol #2 tips and most importantly.... data everyone can use to make their upcoming Blueprint runs more effective.

I'll be talking in general terms so as to not give away for free what BP buyers have discovered..... but if you bought the course, rest assured this will be a worthwhile read.

If there's anything you'd like to know about in particular, please feel free to ask. I'll be happy to share my findings.
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Famine Phase Overview

BODYWEIGHT

Beginning bodyweight 5/25: 218lbs
Ending bodyweight 5/29: 213.5lbs
Net loss: (4.5lbs)

RESTING HEART RATE

Resting heart rate 5/25: 58 beats per minute
Ending heart rate 5/29: 68 beats per minute
Net increase: 10 beats per minute

MULTISTIX TESTING

Testing done on 5/25: Trace (5) protein protein excretion
Testing done on 5/27: Moderate (30) protein excretion
Testing done 5/28 - 5/29: Elevated (60 - 110) protein excretion

Ketones 5/25: Trace (5) amounts
Ketones 5/29*: Large (8) amounts

*Note: I was not on a ketogenic diet! I was on a fasting/Warrior type diet though, with more "live/organic" foods. Something to think about...

PH 5/25: Low (6)
PH 5/29: Low (6)

DIET

"Warrior" style diet, calorie/protein levels as specified in The Blueprint. Incorporated at least 50% "live/organic" foods at post workout meal.

TRAINING

3-day training template as specified in The Blueprint

NOTES

Some interesting findings here. First, the bodyweight drop was comparable to the 5 day schedule as recommended in The Blueprint. This didn't surprise me too much. Largely a function of caloric levels as I see it.

Resting heart rate increase was a surprise. An elevation of 10 beats per minute was more than I expected. Apparently, the 3day template sufficiently stresses the body to achieve our goals. I did get less sleep than usual (2 nights under 8 hours) so that perhaps played a role.

Protein excretion was a surprise. I was expecting to not see as significant increase as in the 5 day template. The severity was the same, it just took a bit longer to get there (+1 day over the norm). I had reservations this would slow traction in the Feast phase, which proved unwarranted.

Ketone elevation. This was another big surprise, as I think we were all under the assumption you had to be on a low carb diet to generate ketones. That assumption is wrong. I suspect the only qualifier here is an extended state of calorie deprivation. Likely also protein levels played a part as without amino acids, glucogenesis wouldn't have occurred. This was true ketosis.

PH movement: there wasn't any. I would have expected that if anything, it would have fallen. If it did, it wasn't enough to measure via the testing strips. Granted, I was slightly acidic when I started. I may have to re-visit alkalizing in the maintenance phase to see what effect that has.

Diet wasn't difficult during the first 2 days. Very difficult thereafter given the hunger/irritability. Granted, that's the objective. Just be aware it'll be there and the effect it may have on those around you.

Training was easier. The 3-day template wasn't as much of a drag. You'll still experience strength levels waning but I suspect there is less CNS/adrenal fatigue. Since we're aiming for muscle substrate depletion, this is a very good thing. Highly recommended Blueprint users try this template first vs. the 5 day. In fact, I may make a slight revision to the course given this finding. For those prone to CNS/adrenal fatigue, it could improve their Blueprint experience.

Overall this Famine phase was highly successful. Key subjective/objective measures were accomplished and it wasn't the ice-water plunge some users have noted. The key pillars remain intact (calorie, protein and workout recommendations) but a new way of getting there has been identified. Those findings are as follows:

1.) 3 day workout template is a valid and easier executed option.

2.) Incorporating live/organic foods improves energy levels, workout capacity and overall feeling of well-being.

3.) Be aware ketosis will likely be entered regardless of carb intake, at least when used in the context of a fasting/warrior diet protocol.

Next up, Feast phase overview (the fun part)!
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Feast Phase Overview

BODYWEIGHT

Beginning bodyweight 5/30: 214lbs
Ending bodyweight 6/21: 229lbslbs
Net gain: +9lbs or so from baseline

RESTING HEART RATE

Resting heart rate 5/30: 68 beats per minute
Resting heart rate 6/10: 64 beats per minute
Ending heart rate 6/21: 57 beats per minute
Net increase: Decrease of (11) beats per minute

MULTISTIX TESTING

Testing done on 5/30: Elevated (60) protein protein excretion
Testing done on 6/3: Negative protein excretion
Testing done 6/9, 6/12,6/15,18,21: Negative protein excretion

Note: Testing done at 60 min. intervals after a meal with Kre-Anabolyn

Ketones 5/30: Trace (5) amounts
Testing done 6/9, 6/12,6/15,18,21: Negative

PH 5/30: Low (6)
PH 6/9, 6/12,6/15,18,21: Went up to 6,5 (normal), but couldn't budge it from there. See notes.

DIET

Descending caloric spiral as per the Blueprint. See notes

TRAINING

German volume loading (10 sets of waved, descending reps focusing on bench. Rotated loaded stretching movements. Entire body worked, but for a change I focused more on upper body.

PERFORMANCE SUPPS

Started out with 3-4 Kre-Anabolyn a day. On workout days, have finally settled on 1 cap prior to/after training. Eventually dialed it back to 2 caps/day during the last part of the cycle and continued to receive outstanding results. The 4.0 version is much stronger. I would estimate twice as strong as the prior version.

Multistix testing verified that it works quicker and lasts longer. The old formula had you retaining nitrogen for 90 min/2 hours. The new formula extends this for up to 3 hours and the glucose disposal properties feel more profound. I'd like to purchase a glucometer next time to test those in a more objective setting. The cerebral stimulation (I still think it's from the L-dopa) are something I'm still trying to get over. I need to look into that nutrient a bit closer.

NOTES

As with the Famine phase, some interesting findings. First, bodyweight lost during famine was re-gained quickly. Quicker than the 5 day training specified. The first 4 days of Feast was explosive. By day 3 I felt very, very full in the muscle bellies and didn't get any stomach bloat from the excess food. In fact, due to the calories being dialed back as the Feast progressed I experienced no stomach distention as I had previously. I did note digestion suffered during the last 2 weeks...meaning I had to go to eating every 3 hours vs. every 2 to avoid gas pains, etc..

Resting heart rate decrease was expected. As the body accomodates and the de-load takes effect it's reflected in your resting pulse rate. Note though, how big a drop was experienced during the last 10 days vs. the first 10. It takes a while to have it fully show up in the numbers. Interesting finding: this pattern is reversed when I use a heavy duty, 1 set to failure approach.

Protein excretion was a surprise insofar as I started retaining nitrogen/building muscle inside of 3 days. I've got to attribute this to the new KA as in prior measurements, I was only in the trace range during the first 3 days. With no training/diet variable that differed vs. past experiences, there's no doubt in my mind on that finding.

Ketone elevation. No surprise. You start eating that many carbs that quickly and you're going to come out of ketosis.

PH movement: there wasn't much. I tried adding 3 teaspoons of potassium gluconate/day and even that didn't budge it much. Next time I'm trying greens plus.

Diet I was very happy with. Easy transition to Feast, wasn't as much of a chore throughout. I was fearful ratcheting down the K levels would affect protein retention, but that fear proved unfounded.

If there was one downer, it was German Volume training. Don't get me wrong, GREAT for mass gains (likely due to the higher volume). But my 1RM increase was disappointing. I was hoping to finish with a 375 close grip bench... but only succeded in raising 365 - a 3% increase vs. the 7% plus I was expecting. Likely due to the fact I lost touch with weights in the 90th percentile and the nervous system wasn't properly conditioned. Still, it was a small step forward on my journey and I should have a fresh CNS to work with for my next loading pattern (my favorite), the Russian Strength Program generator.

Overall this Feast phase was highly successful. I got stronger, certainly got bigger and made easier transitions from phase to phase. Key findings are as follows:

1.) German Volume Loading is a better program for mass gain vs. strength gain. Be aware of that before taking the plunge.

2.) Descending calorie pattern is a big win. Makes compliance easier and still delivers the needed mass gain/nitrogen retention.

3.) Getting alkaline has to be worked at. It seems the radical increase in protein/animal foods makes it difficult. Either incorporate more alkaline foods in this phase or go with a greens plus product or both. It looks like I need both to get it done.

4.) Take advantage of the tapering effect at all levels. That goes for diet, training and even the supplements. The war should be a Blitzkrieg, not a protracted campaign.

5.) New Kre-Anabolyn V 4.0 hits faster and harder. You'll likely need only half as much as you were using before.
BrainSquirt

Post by BrainSquirt »

Rob, Thanks for the details! This really gives me some practical guidance on which metrics to watch. Have pretty much wrapped up my latest feast phase and will post a summary in my journal with some comparisons. One question - are you sure urine PH correlates highly enough with intra cellular PH? Thanks again. brainSquirt.
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

BrainSquirt wrote:Rob, Thanks for the details! This really gives me some practical guidance on which metrics to watch. Have pretty much wrapped up my latest feast phase and will post a summary in my journal with some comparisons. One question - are you sure urine PH correlates highly enough with intra cellular PH? Thanks again. brainSquirt.
Hello Brain,

Glad you enjoyed it. And great question/point on the PH.

Urinary PH measures acid/alkaline balance, but it does NOT directly reveal intra-cellular PH. To clarify, we're talking about PH inside the muscle. I would be shocked if there wasn't some correlation though.

I'm not aware of a diagnostic measure that does this. If anyone is aware, please enlighten me. Best measure I can determine is subjective but one that has served me well in the past: The rep test. I simply load 70% of my 1RM on the bar and rep away. If the burn starts at under 10 reps, I'm not sufficiently alkaline. If it's on the north side of 10, I'm where I need to be.

Acid shuts down the muscle prematurely due to hydrogen ions building up. A properly alkalized system buffers this hydrogen longer, delaying fatigue.