Low Carb Diet and Insomnia?

Learn, share, DISCOVER. Training Table Tips & Diet Discussion
biscuits

Post by biscuits »

Seems like not too many ecto posters here,
but for me when i feel im gaining too much fat,, i cut my carbs in half and replace that with fruits and vegetables, or fresh juices

Mostly like apples, carrots, broccoli, and bananas
seems to work really well for me when im trying to lose fat, but that could be just me
RobRegish

Re: Low Carb Diet and Insomnia?

Post by RobRegish »

matter2003 wrote:I have to post this because of the experience I had before, during and after eating a very low carb diet. I never have had a problem going to sleep and when I wake up to pee or whatever in the middle of the night I usually fall right back asleep without much of an issue. However, when I was eating a very low carb diet, I would fall asleep, wake up to pee, and then be awake for literally hours and hours, and not be able to fall back asleep. This happened pretty much every night, and I was getting maybe 3 or 4 hours of sleep most nights. As soon as I switched back to eating carbs, it is not a problem anymore.

So I have to ask the question because I am curious, and I don't think this can be a coincidence...

Can lack of carbs in your diet cause insomnia or difficulty going to or staying asleep? Because it certainly seems to have done this in my case...
This is a great thread, and indicative of the minds we have here. Fantastic contributions, all of you... :)

With respect to your question, there are several mechanisms at play that may be contributing to the insomnia. First, high protein foods contribute to a more "alert" state. It isn't well known, but NASA feeds astronauts (or used to, when we had a manned space program) steak and eggs prior to launch. Falling asleep on the launch pad is bad for business.

Second, low carb diets stabilize insulin. In response to a high calorie/high carb meal, a large amount of insulin is secreted. Insulin has a an affinity for all of the amino acids - 'cept Tryptophan. What you're left with are high amounts of tryptophan left circulating, which eventually cross the blood brain barrier. Think about uncle Ernie after Thanksgiving day dinner - nighty night... :)

The best solution I've found frankly, is GammaGH/GABA. It zonks you, keeps you zonked, boosts GH and is free of any addiction/toxicity issues that plague the Rx drugs usually prescribed.

Melatonin, Valerian and Passiaflora are also suitable in this instance. Otherwise, try throwing down a high fat snack such as cheese. it may be that you're hungry. I don't know about you, but I can't sleep when my stomach is growling!
BrainSquirt

Post by BrainSquirt »

What RR said :)
plus
(even if you’re on low carbs)
have you considered moving some of your carbs to last thing you eat half a lightly buttered medium baked potato a couple hours before bedtime ?
Arshavin

Post by Arshavin »

I have never heard about it before and no one ever complains about it too.