Short range Rack Pulls/Re-setting the golgi tendon threshold

Learn, share, ADVANCE. Bodybuilding, Sports & Endurance Training Tips & Discussion
RobRegish

Short range Rack Pulls/Re-setting the golgi tendon threshold

Post by RobRegish »

This is a fantastic whole body lift that is a perfect "finisher" to use in the Feast Phase.

One of the real truths in training is that load matters. The heavier the load, the greater the overall growth stimulation. There is perhaps no greater lift for this than the limited range rack pull.

Briefly, set the safety pins up in a power rack such that when pulled upward, the bar only moves 1-2 inches. In this position, your back remains flat, arms straight and you simply stand up with the weight. You can use tremendously heavy weights with this exercise, and that's the key.

Using wrist straps and an overhand grip, perform 2-3 sets of 3-5 reps until you can no longer budge the weight from the pins. This exercise builds incredible strength in the traps, lower back, legs and even the upper body due to the high degree of muscle mass recruited. There is also a re-setting of the golgi tendon threshold, allowing for greater strength in all of your lifts.

The golgi tendon "senses" when muscle is about to tear off from bone. In most people, it's threshold is set too low. Once load becomes threatening to the muscle's integrity, the tendon "shuts down" muscle contraction in an effort to save the muscle from rupturing.

Don't let any of this scare you. Ease into it but do so knowing that the benefits far outweigh the risks. You're working in a very safe range of motion, progressively re-setting the golgi tendon's threshold to a new, higher level. Newfound strength/mass will be your reward.
dracotdrgn

Post by dracotdrgn »

Replying to this old thread so it moves back up. I found it burried in the back and thought some of the new guys should try this.
I had never done a rack pull until I came here and in three months added 125 lbs to my max. While the weight on the big lifts creep up, it's refreshing to have a lift increasing weekly or bi-weekly. Try lifting without straps as you go up in weight to help with grip strength. Once you can't grip, then put on the straps.
Safety note, I got so excited for a new pr a few weeks back I forgot to put my belt on. No injury but I could feel a little strain back there. So belt up!
BrainSquirt

Post by BrainSquirt »

Double bump! Thx. …and thanks to Rob

That very post got me going on this lift and then working with this lift really facilitated my transition from ‘protocols’ to ‘tested intuitive lifting’. That whole period tattooed in the basic principle of lifting VERY heavy, low freq in Feast, moderate it down in Maint, and go light, high freq in Famine

I personally stayed strapless. Concluded that increasing grip strength intergral to the benefits of the lift.

“got so excited” Yep above a certain individual weight, you can no longer be flippant about this one. If it isn’t flowing - stop! Come back to it next session.
Hank!

Post by Hank! »

Draco, since I dont wear pants while doing rack pulls, I never need a belt :)

My Rack pull has moved up too, think I pulled a 675 few weeks back which is over a 150lbs greater than my first pull in March
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

It really is amazing what this lift can do for you, both physically and mentally!
scump

Post by scump »

so this lift is pretty much like the tilt back you do with a dead lift? kinda like a shrug but just using every muscle to get the weight up?
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

You got is scump. Grip and rip!
Hank!

Post by Hank! »

scump wrote:so this lift is pretty much like the tilt back you do with a dead lift? kinda like a shrug but just using every muscle to get the weight up?
I kinda drive up thru my heals and then hang on, I get lightheaded and my HR shoots up over 150bbm every time
dracotdrgn

Post by dracotdrgn »

Brains goin strapless, Hanks goin pantless.... :shock: post THAT on u-tube. I didn't used to use straps and never use gloves, but when my grip says 585 and the rest of my body says 800, I break out the straps. Rows, hangs, I can get a few more reps with straps.
"Lightheaded" yea it's like free drugs man 8)
siegtyr

Post by siegtyr »

Looks Great!! How often should these be done, and at what part of the workout is it performed? Thanks!!
dracotdrgn

Post by dracotdrgn »

I personally choose to do this at the end of the week at the end of my wo. Kind of a finishing touch for the week because you use everything to get this up and held. I guess it kind of depends on your split and what muscle groups are fresh, taxed, etc.
siegtyr

Post by siegtyr »

I've never done these, but that was kind of what I was thinking. I'll have to incorporate them in the feast. Thanks!!
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Wow, you're in for a treat.

Keep us posted here as to how you like them!
dracotdrgn

Post by dracotdrgn »

I just have to keep returning to this thread!
I was called out in my own gym, I posted a challenge on the board and posted an 805 rack pull and someone came in and beat it. So I bucked up and pulled 850 today. Without tieing weight to the bar I could not possibly add anymore weight. My safety clips were barely holding on but I gripped and ripped er :shock: I was left wanting.
Unfortunately for the deadlift challenge a full time gym rat who stands 6'4" tall decided to pick up a legitimate 600 lbs. Guess he can have that one :D

Always someone stronger man! GREAT to see you back here Steve.

Training with those stronger to you is one of the BEST ways, to get STRONGER. Seek these people out, hang with them. A rising tide, lifts all ships... :)