First BP run - AxPoZak

Unfiltered Tips & Techniques centered around Blueprint Training
AxPoZak

First BP run - AxPoZak

Post by AxPoZak »

Hello everyone! My name is Alex, and I think I am the newest blueprint hopeful. I just finished my first read through, and will be starting in about a week in order to fully understand it and ask all of my questions before I begin.

My bio... I'm 6'4", 220 lb, and 23 years old. I played basketball and football in college until I broke my ankle after my freshman year, and have been lifting seriously ever since (with the exception of some time off for some rotator cuff issues). I just graduated, and currently I'm just studying for the GRE, so I work out 5-6 times a week. I have a very fast metabolism and I'm one of those guys who always see's himself as too skinny, so I'm always trying to bulk. Because of this, my norm is about 3400 cals a day, not a particularly clean or dirty diet, but I never have any issues with fat.

My goals for the run are obviously to add mass/bulk, so the reported fat loss that I've been reading about isn't as important to me but will be an added bonus.

I know it isn't advised to use supplements during your first try, but I'm always very determined to get the most out of everything I try. I will be using the following supplements during feast phase:
Kre-Anabolyn
Alkaplex Green Plus (I finally learned why I puke 80% of the time I w/o legs... thanks Rob!)
Whey Protein (maybe Mass Pro, although I'm not totally sold yet)
Some high cal protein shake, probably Muscle Juice
Green Magnitude (creatine)
BCAAs (maybe the recommended kind but I'm not sold on that either)
Multi vitamin, probably Orange Triad
Fish Oil
Some kind of common pre-workout

My only pre-run concern with BP is the frequency of training days. Like I said, I am used to going to the gym quite often, so I'm a bit weary of the recommended one day on, two days off schedule for the feast phase. How much leniency is there without sacrificing results for someone like me? Looking at the feast phase workout plans that are outlined, I THINK that Escalating Training Density (Charles Staley) would be the best fit. However I’m not sure if I follow the way that it is described in the BP (other than that total tonnage lifted should increase every w/o with heavy weight & low reps), and I couldn’t find any more information on the given link without purchasing something. Could someone please elaborate on this plan or tell me where to where to find more info? My other question right now also involves the lifting plan during the feast phase. The way that it is written, it reads like the workout plan for me should be the following:
-Begin with the 5 workouts that are predicated on the 1 set to failure approach
-Follow that with German Loading Pattern #1
-Follow that with Staley’s ETD program
**These come from BP 2.0, as I am looking to bulk**

Is this the correct approach, and the best one for someone looking to maximize w/o frequency without sacrificing gains?
I’m sorry for my confusion, I just feel it necessary to figure everything out before starting because I would really hate to waste any time during the cycle. I’d appreciate any help and advice I can get, from Rob or anyone else with experience. I’m going to try to ask all my remaining questions, that I can’t find answers to in the resources (after one more read through), in one post to make all of them easier/faster to answer in one foul swoop. Thanks very much, I can’t wait to start! :P

Alex
drtda

Post by drtda »

Welcome to the Blueprint team!

In regards to how you should structure your workouts, after your 5 workout Bridge, you will then do GLP1 with the EDT Blocks. So pick your main lift for that workout (ex. Bench) and follow the GLP1 template. After your last set, do an upper body EDT Block (ex. Chest and Back) followed by another EDT Block if you want (ex. Triceps and Biceps). The next time, do the same for your lower body, although only 1 EDT Block is usually best.

I generally follow a 1 on, 1 off pattern with all of my Blueprint runs and it works well for me. Although it seems pretty easy the first few workouts, as the intensity and workload increases, the day off after every workout is definitely needed.
AxPoZak

Post by AxPoZak »

Hey thanks, its good to be here! And thanks for answering, that helps a lot.

So to clarify, the muscle group used in the big barbell lift for GLP#1 should also be worked in the EDT? Now I can understand the need for the rest days!:shock:
Sorry, I have another question. I'm a little confused by the wording of the best time to add loaded stretching to the workout. Should it be supersetted with the big barbell lift, or is that too much? Thanks again, the more I'm learning, the more excited I am to start...
drtda

Post by drtda »

You don't have to do the same muscle group with your first EDT Block as you did for your main lift, but many people do. You could certainly substitute shoulders in for chest if you want.

As far as the loaded stretching, I would not do it with your main lift. Just concentrate on moving maximum poundage with the appropriate set and rep range for GLP1.
AxPoZak

Post by AxPoZak »

Okay, 3 days left until I start! I'm sorry, this will be my last group of questions. After this I'll be a hassle-free blueprint member/customer I promise. Here goes nothin...

Would it be detrimental to start my EDT workouts along with the first 5 feast workouts instead of waiting until GLP#1? I guess I'm just paranoid about a lack of variety for those 5 workouts.

Also, I am still confused as to when the best time during feast workouts to utilize the loaded stretching (because I know they are very important).

I decided to get AI RecoverPro (BCAAs) and Bulk Glutamine from Gaspari instead of MassPro Amino. I know the prescription is 25-40g of the BCAA/Glutamine combo peri-workout, but I don't know what the ratio of BCAAs to Glutamine should be? I've never used aminos in that sort of quantity before.

My last question has to do with the 3 weeks max at high intensity (>90%) rule. If I'm using GLP#1 for each of the three big barbell lifts, and I have 3 workouts a week, GLP workouts #3 - #6 would take 4 weeks to complete (and they all involve high intensity lifts). So does the rule only apply when a greater frequency of high intensity lifts are used? Or maybe I'm not thinking about it correctly

The last thing I wanted to talk about was some personal tweeks that I plan on adding (unless the feedback I get is negative)...

I'm planning on doing a 1 day on 1 day off schedule with GLP#1 and 2 EDT blocks per day, unless it results in over muscle soreness that inhibits my next workout.

In the original EDT workout plan, there are two leg/core days in the four workout rotation, so I think I will replace one of those days with either shoulders/core or shoulders/legs. The PR zone workouts will be machine shoulder press (neutral grip) and barbell shrugs. I'm also even debating on whether or not I should include military press in the GLP program to be used on the same day.

Thats it, sorry again for all my confusion. Thanks a lot for any help I get!
drtda

Post by drtda »

I think you should stick to the regular 5 bridge workout plan without EDTs.

For your Glutamine and BCAAs, I'm not sure on the ratio, but make sure that you have a high amt of leucine in there. All the research that I've seen referenced lately indicates that it is the most important component by far, esp for pre- and post-workout.

Most people just use one upper-body and one lower-body main lift, so you would do upper-body on day 1, day 5, day 9, etc. with lower body on day 3, day 7, day 11 if you are doing a 1 on , 1 off. This compresses your workouts, so that it wouldn't take nearly as much time as what you are thinking. It also gives you the ability to easily take an extra day off anywhere needed, which may happen as you get deeper into the program.
AxPoZak

Post by AxPoZak »

Ohhhh I see. I knew there wasn't a flaw in the whole system so I was pretty confused about the GLP time frame. Thank you a lot, you've been very helpful. And I think I'm good on the leucine aspect, because it has a 4:1:1 ratio of leucine, comparatively. So I have high hopes. Thanks again!
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Folks here have done a GREAT job assisting on the training/supp end of things. Thanks for the assist!

"My only pre-run concern with BP is the frequency of training days. Like I said, I am used to going to the gym quite often, so I'm a bit weary of the recommended one day on, two days off schedule for the feast phase. How much leniency is there without sacrificing results for someone like me?"

I must tell you, this is WELL worth the leap of faith. I see a LOT of guys coming to BP who aren't fully recovered prior to training again. Muscle growth is ALWAYS a 3 step process:

STIMULATE - RECOVER - GROW

If you return to the gym prior to recovering, you're just digging a deeper hole/never reach the point where your body is given the TIME it needs, to super-compensate and grow larger/stronger.

BTW, how old are you? Will help in diagnosing the problem. Whatever the case, it's natural (and admirable) to want to work hard/"do something" vs. seemingly "nothing" by resting. Yet always remember this..

The notes don't make the music. Rather, it's the spaces in between... :)

You CAN absolutely accelerate recovery time by eating/sleeping well, using Ecdy/quality aminos and timing such to the nth degree. Synthagen does it best, but of course isn't mandatory. You're already loaded for bear - but do please give some addition rest/recovery days your consideration.

I have yet to meet someone who hasn't been VERY pleasantly surprised... :)
AxPoZak

Post by AxPoZak »

Okay okay, you've persuaded me. I will take extra precautions when it comes to soreness and recovery. Also I'll try some of those off-day recovery techniques you talked about somewhere in here. I'm 23, and I think the reason I'm accustomed to less rest days is because I've been training less muscle groups per day (1 chest/tri day, 1 core day, 1 leg day, 1 back/bi day, 1 shoulder/ forearm day). And I know that will change when I start on Monday. THANKS for the advice!! I'll keep everyone posted with my progress.

RobRegish wrote:Folks here have done a GREAT job assisting on the training/supp end of things. Thanks for the assist!

"My only pre-run concern with BP is the frequency of training days. Like I said, I am used to going to the gym quite often, so I'm a bit weary of the recommended one day on, two days off schedule for the feast phase. How much leniency is there without sacrificing results for someone like me?"

I must tell you, this is WELL worth the leap of faith. I see a LOT of guys coming to BP who aren't fully recovered prior to training again. Muscle growth is ALWAYS a 3 step process:

STIMULATE - RECOVER - GROW

If you return to the gym prior to recovering, you're just digging a deeper hole/never reach the point where your body is given the TIME it needs, to super-compensate and grow larger/stronger.

BTW, how old are you? Will help in diagnosing the problem. Whatever the case, it's natural (and admirable) to want to work hard/"do something" vs. seemingly "nothing" by resting. Yet always remember this..

The notes don't make the music. Rather, it's the spaces in between... :)

You CAN absolutely accelerate recovery time by eating/sleeping well, using Ecdy/quality aminos and timing such to the nth degree. Synthagen does it best, but of course isn't mandatory. You're already loaded for bear - but do please give some addition rest/recovery days your consideration.

I have yet to meet someone who hasn't been VERY pleasantly surprised... :)
AxPoZak

Post by AxPoZak »

"Before" pics... After the week of rest and right before famine, at 218 lbs. I'll try to give regular updates through out, and definitely post the "after" pics when I'm done. Thanks again for your advice guys!

AxPoZak

Post by AxPoZak »

Well its the night of famine day#4 here, and I can almost see the light at the end of the tunnel. I've been following the rules pretty strictly, with an average daily caloric intake of 1558, and protein intake 32 g (around 85% of the protein intake is literally coming from the 1-2 grams per serving of veggie or fruit). My weight is already down almost 7 lbs which is a good sign, however my heart rate has actually decreased by about 3-4 bpm (which worries me). Even if I don't see the +8 bpm that's desired by tomorrow night, I'll most likely still move to feast as planned. But just to make sure that "alarm" is nice and loud, I'm going to further decrease cal/prot intake for today and tomorrow to around 1200 cal (5-6 x BW) and 20 g. I'm hoping the killer friday workout will help bring up the HR as well. Cant wait to FEAST!!!
AxPoZak

Post by AxPoZak »

Its the first day of feast now and I'm loving it. I'm doing the liver tabs + water trick to get my weight back up asap (because my pants, belt, and watch are all pretty loose). Not much to report so far in terms of this phase, other than I plan to do the descending calorie routine thats outlined in BP 2.0 (except I probably won't go nearly as low as 12x BW until cruise). I'll post my feast phase workout/supplement routine later on.

Overview of famine:
Average daily caloric intake: 1468 cal
Average daily protein intake: 29 g
Total weight lost: 8 lbs
Completed all 3 w/o's with added some added iso moves; added 40-60 mins cardio on "off" days; made sure to increase volume and decrease rest throughout.
Never did see the increased heart rate, in fact even on the morning after day 5 it was still a couple bpm below average.
Noticed effects: lack of energy/lethargy; desire to sleep more; no lack of desire to go to the gym, but a definite decrease in strength and endurance; noticed my heart beating harder when lying in bed, just not faster.

I've added a post-famine pic. I think it shows the weight/muscle loss. Sometimes they take a while to load on the page.

AxPoZak

Post by AxPoZak »

Final day of week 1 of feast

Weight is pretty much back to normal. Strength and muscle fullness are just a little behind, but are catching up very quickly.

Nutrition averages
Calories: 4425 (more on the first 3 days)
Protein: 310
Uni-liver tabs: 32
I wasn't as dedicated to the liver tabs as I would have liked... started out with the recommended 5-6/hour w/ water, but gradually declined every day. Also I think the descending calorie technique for this phase will be too difficult for me, so I will probably stay around these averages for the majority of feast.

Supplements for this phase
Real gains (weight gainer protein powder): 3-6 scoops/day
MassPro Whey: 1-2 scoops/day (to conserve $)
Kre-Anabolyn: 3/day
Alkaplex Green: 3/day
RecoverPro BCAAs + bulk Glutamine: ~30 g peri-w/o
Jack3D: 2 scoops pre-w/o
Anavite: 4/day
Fish Oil: 3/day
One thing to note is that my 60 count bottle of Kre-Anabolyn will last less than half of the feast phase at this rate. If anyone is following this log, would it be recommended to fork out another 45$ for another bottle for the second half of feast? Or maybe even a bottle of a different product, like Synthagen?

For both the Bridge workout section and GLP section of this phase I will be rotating between 4 different workouts. I'll be working a two on, one off schedule (until I see signs that I'm not recovering fully), pairing one difficult w/o with an easier one, and ensuring that no muscle group gets worked without a two day break. When/if I do see the signs, I'll move to an every other day plan. Also I do about 30 mins of stretching/active recovery with a medicine ball and stretchy bands every day.

Plan for first 5 Bridge w/o's (2 already completed)
1) Bridge w/o 1
EDT- chest/bis
chest/bi loaded stretching and holds

1.5) EDT- shoulders/traps
Shoulder/traps loaded stretching and holds
forearms

off

2)Bridge w/o 2
EDT- legs/core
legs/core loaded stretching and holds

2.5) EDT- Back/tri
Back/tri loaded stretching and holds

off

repeat until all 5 bridge w/os are done

Plan for remaining GLP#1 w/o's
1) GLP: chest
EDT- chest/bis
chest/bi loaded stretching and holds
calfs

1.5) EDT- shoulders/traps
Shoulder/traps loaded stretching and holds
forearms

off

2) GLP: Squat
EDT- legs/core
legs/core loaded stretching and holds

2.5) EDT- Back/tri
Back/tri loaded stretching and holds

off

repeat

If I have the time, and after I've ironed out the details, I'll post the individual movements associated with everything.