Wrestling Hall of Fame Inductions

Discuss Sports, Music, Movies, Laughs & Life...
askmass
Site Admin

Wrestling Hall of Fame Inductions

Post by askmass »

To preface this, I know there is a "real" Pro Wrestling Hall of Fame in, I think it's Iowa, that has Lou Thesz and Danny Hodge as it's cornerstones... and, I also recognize the WWE HOF is hard to take seriously due to the political climate where essentially, Vince either lets you in or not. I mean, how legitimate can it be when Bruno isn't in? (he should have been the first inducted)

Having said that, they have a cool list of former NWA greats going in over Mania weekend this year, including Dory Jr. and Terry Funk, and also Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat.

All three are former NWA World Heavyweight Champions, in fact. Flair will induct Steamboat, and it's only fitting given their "pinnacle of the performance art" work in Crockett Promotions and WCW.

Some other dude named Steve Austin is going in also.
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Yes, great class lined up for this year. Truly selfless guys like the Funks and Steamboat. Steamboat, in particular is the ONE guy I can think of that lived up to his sqeaky clean image both inside and outside the ring.

Here's a guy that wrestled Flair on a regular basis to 1hr draws on 60g of carbs a day while training for the Mr. NC contest. Wow, just wow.
Zman42

Post by Zman42 »

Sadly, the most fitting guy to induct Austin is no longer with us... :(

Bill Watts is in as well, being inducted by Jim Ross.
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Who is that Zman?
Zman42

Post by Zman42 »

RobRegish wrote:Who is that Zman?
I assume you meant who would be the best to induct Austin.

askmass
Site Admin

Post by askmass »

Brian... God Rest your Soul, brother.

As a younger man in Atlanta radio, I worked out once with the just starting "Flyin' Brian" at the fitness center in CNN's atrium. We just so happened to walk in at the same time, imagine that...

I knew Cincinnati well (ex wife's relatives lived there), and he was as interested in the insides of radio as I was in wrestling booking at the time.

I didn't know Watts was going in. That's cool. His UWF *could* have been kingpin given a couple different outcomes.
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Wow, how quickly I forget...

I saw an absolute classic Brian Pillman vs. Jushin "Thunder" Liger at the Meadowlands in 1992/1993. House show, no TV. Granted, a big market and unusual for WCW to play up north at that time. Those guys really stole the show though.
Zman42

Post by Zman42 »

I don't think they've done a video package on Watts yet, but it's pretty much confirmed by the big three dirtsheets. Ross will be inducting him, which is why he's not the one inducting Austin.

Bill Watts is one of the big reasons I became a WCW fan. I didn't know it at the time, but he was booking WCW in the 1992-94 era that was some of the best stuff on TV.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1uack ... rican-bash

This is the match that made me a WCW fan. Everything from the work to the announcing to the progression of the match was superb. My example of a five star match.

Keep in mind this was when Bret Hart was wrestling literally the same match every week and just about every WWF wrestler must have had a second job (Bob Holly was a NASCAR driver, The Mountie, Big Boss Man the prison guard, Repo Man...etc).

Flair will be inducting Steamboat (a perfect choice), The Funks will be inducted by Dusty Rhodes.
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Wow! Now that took me back to the good old days..

Thanks Zman!!
Zman42

Post by Zman42 »

There was a fantastic tribute to Pillman on YouTube, but it got yanked for copyright reasons. Used Kid Rock's "Only God Knows Why" as music, that video would bring any fan to tears.
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Did the autopsy results speak to painkillers?
Zman42

Post by Zman42 »

RobRegish wrote:Did the autopsy results speak to painkillers?
Heart Attack actually. Pillman had some rare heart condition that had been previously undiagnosed. His drug issues may have been a factor, but it was the heart condition that was the cause of death
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Wow. Really is too bad. I have to admit, even people that followed the business closely couldn't tell if it was a work or not. Personally, I love it when I can't tell if someone has lost touch with reality vs. their wrestling character.

Fun stuff :lol:
Zman42

Post by Zman42 »

RobRegish wrote:Wow. Really is too bad. I have to admit, even people that followed the business closely couldn't tell if it was a work or not. Personally, I love it when I can't tell if someone has lost touch with reality vs. their wrestling character.

Fun stuff :lol:
The best fiction is the stuff that makes you forget that it's fiction.

It's an art all but lost in a lot of modern day wrestling. But that's a rant for another thread. :lol: