Low protein and autophagy

Learn, share, DISCOVER. Training Table Tips & Diet Discussion
falfa

Low protein and autophagy

Post by falfa »

I listened to this old episode of paleo solution with Matt Lalonde who is a Harvard based scientist. https://chemistry.harvard.edu/people/mathieu-lalonde

https://robbwolf.com/2013/12/24/of-episo ... t-lalonde/

Close to the end he mentions that he occasionally will have a low-protein dinner just to make sure that autophagy kicks in because he used intermittent fasting. Pierre Auge told him about the bulgarian weightlifters that would eat meat ad libitum during the week but then on weekends they would just eat greens and fat and no meat.

He did some research and found that one of the benefits of intermittent fasting, turning on autophagy which is the cell cleaning house. Recycling a bunch of junk and turning it back into amino acids and its basic components. And autophagy is turned off when you eat a lot of protein, specifically bcaas.

So protein starvation can turn on autophagy. Which means you can get one of the big benefits of fasting when your not fasting.

I find it interesting that people have tried pretty much everything when it comes to cycle fats and carbs with strength training but not proteins.
bigpelo

Post by bigpelo »

+points for famine!

Thank you for this article. It reminds also of Ori Hofmekler's book "unlock your muscle gene" where he talks about protein recycling. I should re-read this book.
beefcake66

Post by beefcake66 »

All the more reason to run the Blueprint.... Nice!!
thicketman

Post by thicketman »

I used to use alternate day fasts and had a lot of success dropping body fat with them. Lately, I've been fasting for 24 hours 7 days a week following a 20% caloric restriction and low low protein on my cheat day (nothing but pizza & beer). After putting on some lbs from Thanksgiving through 1/13, I've been back on the wagon for a few weeks now. Interestingly, I HAVE NOT dropped one pound, but I HAVE lost a full inch off my waist. The funny thing is, at first I was concerned about the lack of protein on my cheat day...silly me.
BrainSquirt

Post by BrainSquirt »

Just a few jmo ‘BP’ notes re autophagy. Imo, the process of autophagy should not be a consideration in Famine. Rather, any rigorous autophagy attempts should occur once around 66% through Feast and a few times during Cruise. From my perspective, Famine phase is not a cleanse at all. Rather it a depletion – with no where near the levels of dual purpose overlap of cleanse and depletion that have been occasionally suggested.

I won’t make any duration or diet recommendations because I think quality autophagy is a much more HIGHLY INDIVIDUALIZED! process than consensus memes would have us believe. My own process of autophagy, provided as a sample only, in addition to no protein, includes (but is not limited to)
1 preloading high servings of ‘flavonoids and friends’, etc, (yes, for all you co-extremists out there, homemade C60 OO too :P ) , only trehalose for carbs, and wild crafted dandelion root in the PM
2 a duration of nearly two days ‘almost-fasting’, and
3 closing with heavy ‘loading’ of enzymes, particularly protolectic enzymes

again... jmo
DaCookie

Post by DaCookie »

Very interesting.Say if the situation given wasnt allowing for a full 5 day famine would a 1-3 day one be majorly beneficial enough to warrant it if said person had not done one in a few months or more?
BrainSquirt

Post by BrainSquirt »

DaCookie

I’m not entirely sure you’re asking me or someone above… but to follow up with my opinions above and make it real clear we are now exclusively talking in the realm of Famine, not autophagy. Famine is not going to Autophagy and returning. Famine makes it to autophagy, making a quick stop, but instead of coming back, you go on to a couple more ‘destinations’ .
ie I'm thinking your question is completely off the ‘autophagy’ topic now… :? … imo we would be better served in BP to run Famine and autophagy as distinct, separate processes and not to run them or see them with “dual purpose overlap ”

Anyways re: “if the situation given wasnt allowing for a full 5 day famine would a 1-3 day one be majorly beneficial enough to warrant it if said person had not done one in a few months or more?”

Imo, this is very dependent on how metabolically healthy and fit the person is. … more of - it’s highly individualized… If you were really healthy and fit, it would take some ironman marathon -level work, deprivations, and stress in each of the 1-3 days to get you ‘there’ to the markers in Famine. If less than really healthy and fit, the individualization factors are even more pronounced. I would guess a small % from each sample that tried to get there in the 1-3 days would get ‘there’…. And the rest would be left with the ‘is part way better than nothing?’ dilemma. Trial the same bunch on the ‘1-3 day try’ again 6 weeks and some who didn’t get there the last time would and some who did wouldn’t and the overall percentage would be about the same…

so, based on a sample of one ( one idiot out on savii samoa :wink: instead of in the 'real world' ) if this were a
'would 1-3 day one be majorly beneficial enough to warrant it' and
‘is part way better than nothing?’ poll,
my votes would be 'no' and 'no'.

Ya'll have a good one.
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Famine = gold... :)
falfa

Post by falfa »

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24500923

"In muscular dystrophy, defective autophagy is not necessarily a primary source of muscle weakness, but it clearly becomes a problem over time. If you solve that, you can help the situation by maintaining more normal cellular function."
BrainSquirt

Post by BrainSquirt »

just slightly bright for a monkey and confused day in and day out … george was still, if nothing else, very curious…

falfa wrote:https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24500923

"In muscular dystrophy, defective autophagy is not necessarily a primary source of muscle weakness, but it clearly becomes a problem over time. If you solve that, you can help the situation by maintaining more normal cellular function."

I saw that too. My questions were around what that has to do with health and fitness seekers. Thoughts? thx