TF's Blueprint Log

Unfiltered Tips & Techniques centered around Blueprint Training
beachpirate

Post by beachpirate »

Awesome progress TURBO!!! Can't wait to see how you do with the german loading.

Good job on the PR's
kh971

Post by kh971 »

Keep knocking down those walls of PR's!!!!
dracotdrgn

Post by dracotdrgn »

Good job and love that enthusiasm! Make sure the outside influences are pushed out. I read an article on finding center and peace before a lift vs. jamming out to some music but either way block out the other people in the gym, block out work, and everything but the bar and go. I'd opt for the lesser and if you hit all reps for all sets for three to four work outs-move up. Thats just me and I've shown signs of delayed traction. I feel better when I bump up rather than not hitting all reps of all sets and have to knock off weight....but if you are that confident...I too believe in you. I've been waiting and am glad to hear the news. GO TURBO!
Hank!

Post by Hank! »

Ole Turbo slinging the heavy steel, seriously awesome I see you pressing 315 in the near future bud!
TURBOFLEX

Post by TURBOFLEX »

Thanks for all the kind words from everybody!! :D

And Draco, I definetly hear you man, and after taking into consideration your and Rob's advise on consevativness..... I think you guys are probably right, afterall as you said, I can always jump up if I need to, definetly don't wanna miss reps.

With that being said, I'm gonna stick with the 360 for my squat, and go ahead and drop back and go with 275 for bench. If I had more time I would've tried atleast that much on squat, but like I said I was a little rushed.....
But the bench 275 was definetly all I was getting that day....

Draco the blocking out everything is great advise..... and is also why I'm considering changing gyms. Not only is my current one very small gym with limited acsess to equipment.... but I have also made to many buddies there, which also makes it hard to focus all my attention to my workout, cause everyone wants BS.

I used to go to a gym that is 5x's the size of the one I'm at now, but it's about a 20 min longer drive and more expensive...... but as long as it's taking to get in a quality workout, and the pain in the neck the limited space this place has is... it may be worth it, and actually save me time to make the drive.

And I always go without a IPOD/music, but have been considering getting one just so I don't have to talk so dang much :roll:

Other than that I usally prefer nothing in my ears.... just to unconfortable to me... but I do enjoy good music in the background, which my current gym doesnt have, but old one did
dracotdrgn

Post by dracotdrgn »

I love my music, for focus and to keep the other noises out. Including the unmotivational music my gym plays.. One thing I started paying more attention to since the BP is my time between sets. I have a watch that I reset after every set, if conversation starts I check my watch frequently so they know, then if times up I'll ask them to wait. It's just too easy to talk and loose 5-10 min between sets. Good luck this week!!
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Here's a good one: Just put some earphones in with a wire to nowhere. Occassionally sing to yourself or bob your head up and down.

Alternatively, put a bluetooth on and have random conversations with yourself. People will think you're on a call and not bother you.

All of this got so bad I punched out of commercial gyms over 10 years ago. I'm telling you I've been in gyms all across the country. It's absolutely atrocious with so many knuckleheads the idiot factor quickly goes off the scale. Plus, I like helping people out and once you do that there's almost a line. I don't mind but at some point you've got to take care of your own workout... what you went there for in the first place.

Finally, there's the thong factor. Hard to focus when they're dressed to breed, doing stiff legged deadlifts and lots of bending/stretching. Before you know it instead of your planned 5 minute rest between sets 20 minutes of thong vision have elapsed.

I digress...
TURBOFLEX

Post by TURBOFLEX »

RobRegish wrote:Here's a good one: Just put some earphones in with a wire to nowhere. Occassionally sing to yourself or bob your head up and down.

Alternatively, put a bluetooth on and have random conversations with yourself. People will think you're on a call and not bother you.

All of this got so bad I punched out of commercial gyms over 10 years ago. I'm telling you I've been in gyms all across the country. It's absolutely atrocious with so many knuckleheads the idiot factor quickly goes off the scale. Plus, I like helping people out and once you do that there's almost a line. I don't mind but at some point you've got to take care of your own workout... what you went there for in the first place.

Finally, there's the thong factor. Hard to focus when they're dressed to breed, doing stiff legged deadlifts and lots of bending/stretching. Before you know it instead of your planned 5 minute rest between sets 20 minutes of thong vision have elapsed.

I digress...
LOL The thong factor.. both motivating and devestating :twisted: There actually aint to many hotties that hit the weights at the gym I'm at now... The old gym though.. eww wee!! My girl hated me goin to that gym lol.. She'd show up just to walk in with me, and mean mug all the chicks there that even thought about lookin my way :roll:
kh971

Post by kh971 »

Thank goodness there are no thongs in my gym, but we do have a set of twins and one is a fitness model, and she is 22 years old!!!! One of the downfalls of living in a college town.
TURBOFLEX

Post by TURBOFLEX »

I'll be doing my 1st workout of the German loading phase either tonight or tomorrow night. couple ?'s

1. I've talked to you about this before, but just to clarify.. I had planned on working out 3 days a week, and will use german loading program #2, but I was wondering if I could go 1 on and 1 off, and do #1 then #2 ?...
If I go the latter route, it gives me 20 workouts to complete in 40 day's( 36 days ishow long my stack will last). Doing 1 and 2, I would end up with about 54 days in the feast.. Is this to much?...
Or should I just stick with #2 only, @ 3 days a week, which will keep me just under 50 days?..
Personally I think I can handle both, but will go with your recomendations Rob.....

But first a couple reasons why I'm considering extending it... For one I'm getting married June 5th, if I did both it would put me ending around May 10th or 11th... That would leave me 3 and a half weeks of maintenance, aweek off for the honeymoon, then rnd 2..

Can I pack all that into a feast, I know it's alot, or should I just cruise a little longer?

? #2.
As far as my streching exercises go, should I still jump set some pull overs and SLDL's with my lifts? Or do light stretching exercises berfore? After? or Both?
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

I'll be doing my 1st workout of the German loading phase either tonight or tomorrow night. couple ?'s

Q. 1. I've talked to you about this before, but just to clarify.. I had planned on working out 3 days a week, and will use german loading program #2, but I was wondering if I could go 1 on and 1 off, and do #1 then #2 ?...

A. Yes that is perfectly logical and necessary as you get into the heavier workouts. In fact, if you look at the spreadsheet on page 68 of The Blueprint for said program I think you'll see I detail a similar frequency protocol there. I still can't remember why we don't have you doing German Loading Pattern #1 first? Not that I think it'll make a huge difference but I'd like to reconcile that in my mind.

Q. If I go the latter route, it gives me 20 workouts to complete in 40 day's( 36 days ishow long my stack will last). Doing 1 and 2, I would end up with about 54 days in the feast.. Is this to much?...
Or should I just stick with #2 only, @ 3 days a week, which will keep me just under 50 days?..
Personally I think I can handle both, but will go with your recomendations Rob.....

A. 54 days is a bit too long for my tastes, although I wouldn't rule it out entirely. Another idea you may consider is the 10% solution. That dictates 12 workouts be performed in 30 days or thereabouts. More "red zone" workouts but I present it here as another option for you to think about.

Q. But first a couple reasons why I'm considering extending it... For one I'm getting married June 5th, if I did both it would put me ending around May 10th or 11th... That would leave me 3 and a half weeks of maintenance, aweek off for the honeymoon, then rnd 2..

Can I pack all that into a feast, I know it's alot, or should I just cruise a little longer?

A. Perfectly acceptable here to cruise a little longer. You only get married once (hopefully) :)

Q. #2.

As far as my streching exercises go, should I still jump set some pull overs and SLDL's with my lifts? Or do light stretching exercises berfore? After? or Both?

If strength and strength alone is your goal suggest placing your stretch position movements AFTER your main barbell lifts. To do them immediately afterward in jump set fashion MAY compromise your limit strength the next set.

If a mix of size/strength is sought, perfectly acceptable to perform in jump set fashion. Specifically, I'd suggest you stick with one loaded stretch movment such as pullovers after bench and Romanian Deadlifts/Dimel Deadlifts/SLDL's after squats.

NOTE: These should be trained in a higher rep bracket and waved in the following fashion; set of 20 reps... next workout set of 15 reps...next session 10 reps. Repeat.

Doing so keeps you way out of the 90th percentile and doesn't overly tax your lower back, which should be a consideration because the barbell squat will do so to some extent.

Just one of the reasons I love the Hip Belt squat so much.... :)
TURBOFLEX

Post by TURBOFLEX »

Well I made some last minute changes to my feast workout plans...

Decided to start out with German loading phase #1.. Not positive what I'll do to finish out the feast, but I'm sure we will come up with something..

Got off to a bit of a rough start for the first workout, but got all my sets on bench and squat...

My parents are adding on to there house, so I went out there to help them.. I spent the 1st half of the day on a 10/12 metal roof.. I had to where a harnass, that killed my lower back..

After we got the metal off, I swung a sledge hammer over my head for a couple hrs to knock all the 1x's off the roof from inside the house..

Killed my right shoulder, which gives me problems to begin with..

After that I had to pry off the one's I couldnt get to with a 4ft pry bar..

Spent a few more hrs laying out a wall.. so needless to say I went to the gym, tired and already pretty much used up :x ..

But, I love lifting, and even though I wasnt feelin as pumped as I usally am, it still felt great being there, and I muscled threw my workout 8)

I'm pretty wore out right now, and I get to go back and work on the house some more tomorrow :roll:

That just means I'm gonna sleep like a baby tonight though :wink:
Hank!

Post by Hank! »

That is an exhausting day Turbo, glad to see you powered through plus its good that you can(and do) help your folks
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Yeah, manual labor will take it out of you every time for sure..

Do take care to insert an extra recovery day where needed. It can only benefit you. Good call on German loading pattern #1 :)