Footwear..

Learn, share, ADVANCE. Bodybuilding, Sports & Endurance Training Tips & Discussion
Redgum

Footwear..

Post by Redgum »

What is everyone's opinion on different foot wear for weightlifting? What do you use?

I've been looking into it only recently and have seen people who prefer barefoot, just socks, weightlifting trainers, dead lifting boots, Vibrams, Chuck Taylor's etc..

Apparently you shouldn't use footwear with cushioning, such as running trainers, especially during squats, but for all lifts due to you wanting to exert as much force through your feet as possible.

I personally, usually go barefoot.

--
Some light reading material: (allowed links?)

https://www.exrx.net/WeightTraining/Weig ... Shoes.html
https://ezinearticles.com/?Why-Weightlif ... id=4369200
https://ezinearticles.com/?A-Few-Reasons ... id=4027638
SiLkPaDrE

Post by SiLkPaDrE »

I wish I could train barefoot, but I think it's against some sort of health code at my school gym, that and training shirtless haha. I think I'm allowed to train in socks, but I feel as if doing so would significantly increase the chances of me busting my ass.

I was looking into this not too long ago though, and was planning on getting some chucks for squat and deadlift days, just because they're cheap, stylish and get the job done haha. Barefoot training is definitely great for tons of reasons, like strengthening all the little muscles of the foot for example, and I plan on experimenting with that type of training when I get the chance. How's that been for you by the way?
Redgum

Post by Redgum »

Ah well home gym ftw!

I like barefooted, definitely feel more stable now. I used to use trainers, and I would feel my foot slide a little when going heavy. Feel I have more control.

I'd like to see if anyone uses the Adidas shoes, they look interesting, definitely not going to buy a pair of them blind, they cost quite a bit.
DaCookie

Post by DaCookie »

Yes home gym owns :)

I use flats with very little base on em.I find those are the best cause you dont want a huge base when doing squats or something for example.
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

I wear aqua socks or sneakers.

Would love to train barefoot but bad toenails so.... :)
sovabrat

Post by sovabrat »

I cant go barefoot in my gym. Maybe I will try and pull strings when Im a seasoned customer but until I reach at least a year I dont think I will ask. I have air cushions in my shoes and have not noticed any wobble while squatting.
Big.jazayrli

Post by Big.jazayrli »

i need to get myself some squatting shoes here soon for leg day

once i do, my setup will be:

Squats: Squat shoes (then change into new balances)
Back Day: Chuck taylor's
Every Other day: New Balances (the most comfortable shoes ever made)
sovabrat

Post by sovabrat »

Big.jazayrli wrote: Every Other day: New Balances (the most comfortable shoes ever made)
could not agree more with this statement. I have been running/working out in new balances since I can remember. I refuse to even try something new.
askmass
Site Admin

Post by askmass »

Another vote for New Balance here.

They are all I've bought for many years now.
scump

Post by scump »

barefoot is good you say?

im well aware of how padding can be harmfull when squatting heavy weights.

i currently use NewBalance aswell, have not noticed any faults, except for once when squatting my foot shifted in the shoe, hard to explain, went a little over the sole, kinda like slipping inside the shoe.

too cold to train bare foot at the moment mind you.

will def give it a go in summer.
Big.jazayrli

Post by Big.jazayrli »

askmass wrote:Another vote for New Balance here.

They are all I've bought for many years now.
sovabrat wrote:
could not agree more with this statement. I have been running/working out in new balances since I can remember. I refuse to even try something new.
proof that good men wear New Balance.

Screw Nikes! :)

but i cannot stress how much wearing flat shoes (my chuck taylors) helps my deadlift. its pretty cool
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

So I should throw my Reebok's high tops out from the 80's?

Say it ain't so....
Big.jazayrli

Post by Big.jazayrli »

RobRegish wrote:So I should throw my Reebok's high tops out from the 80's?

Say it ain't so....
ideal deadlifting shoes mang!
dracotdrgn

Post by dracotdrgn »

Off weights story about shoes
About two years ago I was training for my first race. Running a lot in mediocre shoes I decided to start shopping for a new pair. I got sick a week before the race, still trying to train but putting off my new purchase. I bought a pair of Saucony 3D Grid Nitros the day before the race. Dumb right? Ran my 12k race like I was bouncing on pillows, not a blister, not a problem. They changed the shoe and I haven't purchased another Saucony since but it was a nice shoe.

NOW thanks to Hank and a few others at the gym I picked up a pair of the "Gorilla Feet" Vibram five fingers. I plan on starting slow, few short and light jogs here and there but are you guys suggesting that these might be good for squatting?????