Footwear..

Learn, share, ADVANCE. Bodybuilding, Sports & Endurance Training Tips & Discussion
Hank!

Post by Hank! »

For all of you that wish you go workout barefooted, the Vibram FiverFinger is the answer.

I own Vibram KSO's, and my next pair will be urban camo instead of black

https://www.vibramfivefingers.com/produc ... /large.jpg

Draco I never did ask which ones you chose>?
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Wow those are fantastic!

I might have to get a pair. Do they come with toenails? I've lost mine..
askmass
Site Admin

Post by askmass »

Those are new to me.

Thanks for the tip, Hank.
Hank!

Post by Hank! »

Rob,

They have a rubberized toe tip, but i imagine if you have sensitivity cause you dont have toenails these would probably irritate the heck out of you
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Maybe not, they just kind of skinned over.

I got that fungus and got really mad one day, you know? So I ripped all of them off. Besides, what do you need toenails for? What have they done for you lately?? Do they increase your lifts any? No.

So they had to go.
dracotdrgn

Post by dracotdrgn »

All the reading I've done it's likened to lifting a heavy weight on a trampoline. The energy used to lift is lost in the downward movement. Like the soles of our shoes, just not as extreme. Barefoot energy is transfered directly to the floor helping the lift.. That's the theory.. Here's my take
Squatting, yes I did it, climbed up to 405 then down to my resistance band routine. One thing I did notice was a greater awareness of my position. As we tire we tend to lean forward instead of sitting back, then driving through the heels. With the barefoot shoes you feel your total weight dispercement. If you start to lean forward, you know right away.

Heel pain-not a problem,yet. I wore them on my last rack pull, and to help this....I need a little extra height to perform these on our rack so I stand on a couple of plates. This time I positioned my heels over the holes.... Odd but I have yet to have any heel pain from this or squatting.

Anyone that's done barefoot calf raises knows how good this feels.

Running-Definately on your toes as nature intended. Shoes have caused us to run heel to toe. Since we've been wearing shoes our whole lives this is hard to change. I started short distance, short stride......calves were tight next day. By my third run I was striding more and still stepping correctly, not gonna break any speed records yet but it may come. I am a pace runner and am used to running a certain pace, can't meet that pace with these yet and don't know how long that will take.

BIG conversation piece. Some people are interested, others can't stand the thought. My take is: good way to strengthen feet, ankles, & calves. Improves balance and lessens the dependency of overly cushy shoes. Not sure about hitting streets and sidewalks though...I will continue lifting and running in these until I am convinced otherwise.

Hank, I picked up the black KSOs. Good recommendation :D
scump

Post by scump »

hey guys, i remember reading this ages ago and thinking... i really have to try this some day.

well idk why i never got around to it but i done it today.... wow does it make a difference.

working out bare foot (i workout at home) MASSIVE difference... the stability, the grip, the balance. i found it alot easier to go atg and maintain a great technique.
BrainSquirt

Post by BrainSquirt »

Yep, I been lifting for over a year now in sockfeet or vibrams with excellent outcomes...

Rob, since you tore your nails off do you still have fungus?
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Yeah man it keeps growing back. I stay on top of it though, rip it out every other weekend or so.

You don't need toenails. Don't listen to them...
Hank!

Post by Hank! »

RobRegish wrote:Yeah man it keeps growing back. I stay on top of it though, rip it out every other weekend or so.

You don't need toenails. Don't listen to them...
I an brighter note i do hear that toenails do have 13 new Ecdysterones in them (robs have more because of the fungi)
BrainSquirt

Post by BrainSquirt »

Seriously Rob, you need to get that fungus out of your system. Long term consequences if you don’t.
Have you done a course of internal Lamasil tablets? If not, just ask a doc for a prescription... and a refill if needed. You‘ll have to go in one other time to get a test to see if Lamasil is damaging your liver, but other than that you should just be able to follow the full course of treatment (plus doing what’s below) and be done with it…
In any event, at least do a layer of external Lamasil on them and then top it with a cake of old fashioned Vicks Vapor Rub at least twice a day - especially heavy for the first few days after you do ‘nailectomy surgury’ … can PM you with addtl remedies if you like…

All the best...
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Might look into it Brain, thanks for the tip..
beachpirate

Post by beachpirate »

I've been looking at these over the past week and have noticed some showing up in the gym. I might have to pull the trigger one of these days. I want a couple pair. One specifically for the beach. I understand it is like being barefoot but how much of a sole is there. I want something that will protect the bottom of my feet from broken shells on the beach.
dracotdrgn

Post by dracotdrgn »

Yeah, shells shouldn't be a problem.