Eggs...

Learn, share, DISCOVER. Training Table Tips & Diet Discussion
DaCookie

Post by DaCookie »

askmass wrote:The more you cook an egg, the more you degrade the protein.

That's a fact.

The hotter the heat, and the longer the duration the more you destroy natures amino balance by turning it into an increasingly harder to digest and less and less bioavailable cross-linked protein.

If mankind on the whole were to stop blasting their foods with excessively high heat (and don't even get me started on microwaves) they would see health and performance increases like they would not believe possible from such a "small" dietary change.
So its okay to not cook it at all or is scump right?Assuming to cook it for as little as possible then?
scump

Post by scump »

In addition, the protein in raw eggs is only 51% bio-available, whereas that of a cooked egg is nearer 91% bio-available, meaning the protein of cooked eggs is nearly twice as absorbable as the protein from raw eggs.[6]
taken from wikipedia (i know) but it does have a citation...

# ^ Evenepoel, P., Geypens, B., Luypaerts, A., Hiele, M., Ghoos, Y., & Rutgeerts, P. (1998). Digestibility of Cooked and Raw Egg Protein in Humans as Assessed by Stable Isotope Techniques. The Journal of Nutrition, 128 (10), 1716-1722. abstract

MASS is 100% right though, eggs are just a exception (to an extent) the longer you cook food, the more nutritional value you lose, the other major factor is heat, to hotter, the more damage your doing.

is why alot of healthy people have majority of their vegetables raw/steamed.

so how to turn this into eggs? think about the fastest way to cook an egg (scrambled is pretty quick) Vs. the longest way (hard boiled?) and that allows you to asses easier the nutirional value, but i would still maintain that a hard boiled egg would have alot more protein than a raw egg.
askmass
Site Admin

Post by askmass »

I was more suggesting over easy or sunny side up, but the major area of interest in the raw discussion (for virtually all foods) is how heat destroys ENZYMES. You can have the highest grade food source in the world, but if the co-existing (in natures perfect format) enzymes have been limited/eliminated via heat then you have a limited/incomplete food no matter it's protein or vitamin score.

It's the reason I always have Alkaplex with me when traveling, for those times when I'm "forced" into consuming compromised/overcooked foods - to replace the active enzymes via supplementation. 3 caps ten minutes before my buds twist my arm and make me eat half a fried chicken and southern cooked veggies, lol!

Some foods do improve in certain aspects when cooked, however. Tomatoes and spinach, while healthy as can be raw, do see the release of certain "locked" nutrients when cooked. These are major exceptions, though. Generally, the more raw and organic, the more fresh, the better and more healthy.

But, back to eggs. I often eat the better part of two dozen a week in various forms. Soft boiled, sunny side up, over easy, scrambled w/ raw veggies and raw cheese tossed in at the last second (perhaps the best of all worlds w/ supps & fresh juicing on top)... once in a blue moon, old school quick fried the way mom did them (see fried chicken/alkaplex above) even, and yes- absolutely raw.

I will note that I am secure in knowing the source of my eggs are from a 100% organic, free range operation. They are as clean and good as God intended. I personally would not consume store brand "conventional" eggs raw. I don't even want them cooked, if I can avoid it.

My 2 cents for today.
BrainSquirt

Post by BrainSquirt »

AskMass,

Actually I would like to get you "started on microwaves"... :twisted:
Seriously ... what's your take?
Are there freqs that 'heat' but don't scramble / mangle? Etc

TIA
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Boy that's an interesting question. I suspect (but have no proof) microwaving is harmful...
Hank!

Post by Hank! »

I agree I also think it is harmful. Some scary reading

Two researchers, Blanc and Hertel, confirmed that microwave cooking significantly changes food nutrients. Hertel previously worked as a food scientist for several years with one of the major Swiss food companies. He was fired from his job for questioning procedures in processing food because they denatured it. He got together with Blanc of the Swiss Federal Institute of Biochemistry and the University Institute for Biochemistry.

They studied the effect that microwaved food had on eight individuals, by taking blood samples immediately after eating. They found that after eating microwaved food, haemoglobin levels decreased. "These results show anaemic tendencies. The situation became even more pronounced during the second month of the study".

MORE

After the World War II, the Russians also experimented with microwave ovens. From 1957 up to recently, their research has been carried out mainly at the Institute of Radio Technology at Klinsk, Byelorussia. According to US researcher William Kopp, who gathered much of the results of Russian and German research - and was apparently prosecuted for doing so (J. Nat. Sci, 1998; 1:42-3) - the following effects were observed by Russian forensic teams:

1. Heating prepared meats in a microwave sufficiently for human consumption created:
* d-Nitrosodiethanolamine (a well-known cancer-causing agent)
* Destabilization of active protein biomolecular compounds
* Creation of a binding effect to radioactivity in the atmosphere
* Creation of cancer-causing agents within protein-hydrosylate compounds in milk and cereal grains;
2. Microwave emissions also caused alteration in the catabolic (breakdown) behavior of glucoside - and galactoside - elements within frozen fruits when thawed in this way;
3. Microwaves altered catabolic behavior of plant-alkaloids when raw, cooked or frozen vegetables were exposed for even very short periods;
4. Cancer-causing free radicals were formed within certain trace-mineral molecular formations in plant substances, especially in raw root vegetables;
5. Ingestion of micro-waved foods caused a higher percentage of cancerous cells in blood;
6. Due to chemical alterations within food substances, malfunctions occurred in the lymphatic system, causing degeneration of the immune system=s capacity to protect itself against cancerous growth;
7. The unstable catabolism of micro-waved foods altered their elemental food substances, leading to disorders in the digestive system;
8. Those ingesting micro-waved foods showed a statistically higher incidence of stomach and intestinal cancers, plus a general degeneration of peripheral cellular tissues with a gradual breakdown of digestive and excretory system function;
9. Microwave exposure caused significant decreases in the nutritional value of all foods studied, particularly:
* A decrease in the bioavailability of B-complex vitamins, vitamin C, vitamin E, essential minerals and lipotrophics
* Destruction of the nutritional value of nucleoproteins in meats
* Lowering of the metabolic activity of alkaloids, glucosides, galactosides and nitrilosides (all basic plant substances in fruits and vegetables)
* Marked acceleration of structural disintegration in all foods.

As a result microwave ovens were banned in Russia in 1976; the ban was lifted after Perestroika.

Who knows what results they would have found if they had studied people who ate microwaved food for a year or more?

The violent change that microwaving causes to the food molecules forms new life forms called radiolytic compounds. These are mutations that are unknown in the natural world. Ordinary cooking also causes the formation of some radiolytic compounds (which is no doubt one reason why it is better to eat plenty of raw food), but microwaving cooking causes a much greater number. This then causes deterioration in your blood and immune system.

Lymphocytes (white blood cells) also showed a more distinct short-term decrease following the intake of microwaved food than after the intake of all the other variants.

Another change was a decrease in the ratio of HDL (good cholesterol) and LDL (bad cholester

https://www.relfe.com/microwave.html
https://www.mercola.com/article/microwave/hazards2.htm

A study published in the November 2003 issue of The Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture[5] found that broccoli "zapped" in the microwave with a little water lost up to 97 percent of its beneficial antioxidants. By comparison, steamed broccoli lost 11 percent or fewer of its antioxidants. There were also reductions in phenolic compounds and glucosinolates, but mineral levels remained intact.
A 1999 Scandinavian study of the cooking of asparagus spears found that microwaving caused a reduction in vitamin C[6] .
In a study of garlic, as little as 60 seconds of microwave heating was enough to inactivate its allinase, garlic’s principle active ingredient against cancer[7] .
A Japanese study by Watanabe showed that just 6 minutes of microwave heating turned 30-40 percent of the B12 in milk into an inert (dead) form[8] . This study has been cited by Dr. Andrew Weil as evidence supporting his concerns about the effects of microwaving. Dr. Weil wrote:
“There may be dangers associated with microwaving food... there is a question as to whether microwaving alters protein chemistry in ways that might be harmful."
A recent Australian study[9] showed that microwaves cause a higher degree of “protein unfolding” than conventional heating.
Microwaving can destroy the essential disease-fighting agents in breast milk that offer protection for your baby. In 1992, Quan found that microwaved breast milk lost lysozyme activity, antibodies, and fostered the growth of more potentially pathogenic bacteria[10] .
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Hank's always there to confirm my suspicions..

Thanks Hank :)
Hank!

Post by Hank! »

I do have a microwave but dont use it much, reading all this I may get rid of it
askmass
Site Admin

Post by askmass »

We have one, but I don't even use it to boil water.

Clean, mineral rich water... microwave it?

Never.
dracotdrgn

Post by dracotdrgn »

Yah, thank a lot Hank! Imagine how pissed my wife will be when she comes home from work tomorrow and finds the microwave yanked off the wall. :shock: No seriously though, thanks, really eye opening.
BrainSquirt

Post by BrainSquirt »

Thanks Hank.

Wonder if there are 'clean' microwave freqs that don't mangle nutrients?
Maybe food specific freqs?
Duffer

Post by Duffer »

I'm no microwave expert, but I think... the frequency that a home microwave produces is one which 'excites' or induces energy into the O-H bond. The oxygen - hydrogen bond of a molecule. So it targets water (H2O) specifically but also effects other molecules, like alcohols, which also have an O-H in them, so there's the first prob. Many very complex molecules like carbohydrates have O-H in them and are effected as well.

I suspect the second prob may be that a home microwave does not emit a real clean 'frequency' and to a lesser degree excites other elemental bonds close to that of the O-H excitation frequency.

If you put enough energy into these bonds to get them really flexing, then they will break and the complex molecule becomes two simpler molecules.
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

We could definately use this guy in product formulation! :)

Nice analysis Duffer...
DaCookie

Post by DaCookie »

Hank! wrote:I agree I also think it is harmful. Some scary reading

Two researchers, Blanc and Hertel, confirmed that microwave cooking significantly changes food nutrients. Hertel previously worked as a food scientist for several years with one of the major Swiss food companies. He was fired from his job for questioning procedures in processing food because they denatured it. He got together with Blanc of the Swiss Federal Institute of Biochemistry and the University Institute for Biochemistry.

They studied the effect that microwaved food had on eight individuals, by taking blood samples immediately after eating. They found that after eating microwaved food, haemoglobin levels decreased. "These results show anaemic tendencies. The situation became even more pronounced during the second month of the study".

MORE

After the World War II, the Russians also experimented with microwave ovens. From 1957 up to recently, their research has been carried out mainly at the Institute of Radio Technology at Klinsk, Byelorussia. According to US researcher William Kopp, who gathered much of the results of Russian and German research - and was apparently prosecuted for doing so (J. Nat. Sci, 1998; 1:42-3) - the following effects were observed by Russian forensic teams:

1. Heating prepared meats in a microwave sufficiently for human consumption created:
* d-Nitrosodiethanolamine (a well-known cancer-causing agent)
* Destabilization of active protein biomolecular compounds
* Creation of a binding effect to radioactivity in the atmosphere
* Creation of cancer-causing agents within protein-hydrosylate compounds in milk and cereal grains;
2. Microwave emissions also caused alteration in the catabolic (breakdown) behavior of glucoside - and galactoside - elements within frozen fruits when thawed in this way;
3. Microwaves altered catabolic behavior of plant-alkaloids when raw, cooked or frozen vegetables were exposed for even very short periods;
4. Cancer-causing free radicals were formed within certain trace-mineral molecular formations in plant substances, especially in raw root vegetables;
5. Ingestion of micro-waved foods caused a higher percentage of cancerous cells in blood;
6. Due to chemical alterations within food substances, malfunctions occurred in the lymphatic system, causing degeneration of the immune system=s capacity to protect itself against cancerous growth;
7. The unstable catabolism of micro-waved foods altered their elemental food substances, leading to disorders in the digestive system;
8. Those ingesting micro-waved foods showed a statistically higher incidence of stomach and intestinal cancers, plus a general degeneration of peripheral cellular tissues with a gradual breakdown of digestive and excretory system function;
9. Microwave exposure caused significant decreases in the nutritional value of all foods studied, particularly:
* A decrease in the bioavailability of B-complex vitamins, vitamin C, vitamin E, essential minerals and lipotrophics
* Destruction of the nutritional value of nucleoproteins in meats
* Lowering of the metabolic activity of alkaloids, glucosides, galactosides and nitrilosides (all basic plant substances in fruits and vegetables)
* Marked acceleration of structural disintegration in all foods.

As a result microwave ovens were banned in Russia in 1976; the ban was lifted after Perestroika.

Who knows what results they would have found if they had studied people who ate microwaved food for a year or more?

The violent change that microwaving causes to the food molecules forms new life forms called radiolytic compounds. These are mutations that are unknown in the natural world. Ordinary cooking also causes the formation of some radiolytic compounds (which is no doubt one reason why it is better to eat plenty of raw food), but microwaving cooking causes a much greater number. This then causes deterioration in your blood and immune system.

Lymphocytes (white blood cells) also showed a more distinct short-term decrease following the intake of microwaved food than after the intake of all the other variants.

Another change was a decrease in the ratio of HDL (good cholesterol) and LDL (bad cholester

https://www.relfe.com/microwave.html
https://www.mercola.com/article/microwave/hazards2.htm

A study published in the November 2003 issue of The Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture[5] found that broccoli "zapped" in the microwave with a little water lost up to 97 percent of its beneficial antioxidants. By comparison, steamed broccoli lost 11 percent or fewer of its antioxidants. There were also reductions in phenolic compounds and glucosinolates, but mineral levels remained intact.
A 1999 Scandinavian study of the cooking of asparagus spears found that microwaving caused a reduction in vitamin C[6] .
In a study of garlic, as little as 60 seconds of microwave heating was enough to inactivate its allinase, garlic’s principle active ingredient against cancer[7] .
A Japanese study by Watanabe showed that just 6 minutes of microwave heating turned 30-40 percent of the B12 in milk into an inert (dead) form[8] . This study has been cited by Dr. Andrew Weil as evidence supporting his concerns about the effects of microwaving. Dr. Weil wrote:
“There may be dangers associated with microwaving food... there is a question as to whether microwaving alters protein chemistry in ways that might be harmful."
A recent Australian study[9] showed that microwaves cause a higher degree of “protein unfolding” than conventional heating.
Microwaving can destroy the essential disease-fighting agents in breast milk that offer protection for your baby. In 1992, Quan found that microwaved breast milk lost lysozyme activity, antibodies, and fostered the growth of more potentially pathogenic bacteria[10] .
Hank da tank is da man.

Thank God my parents never fed me microwaved food.I believe Ive had only microwaved popcorn a few times.Will never buy a microwave now.