Curcumin---some interesting studies...

Learn, share, DISCOVER. Training Table Tips & Diet Discussion
matter2003

Curcumin---some interesting studies...

Post by matter2003 »

Curcumin is a very strong ant-inflammatory, which I take in part due to my psoriass, but studies are showing it may hold a LOT of promise for people who workout.

Two studies have shown some very interesting results.

The first demonstrated that Curcumin + a high calorie/high fat diet leads to much less fat gain than without it. It does this by inhibiting blood vessel formation in fat tissue, which is critical for tissue growth. Not only this, but it also accelerates fat metabolism as even though a high fat diet was consumed, the animals given curcumin had noticeably less cholesterol, free fatty acids and triglycerides in their system then both high fat no curcumin subjects and also control subjects fed a regular diet...

Curcumin also inhibits the production of PPAR-Gamma, the sensor alerting fat cells to the presence of fat. With the sensor not working properly, the cells absorb less fat. It also drastically increases production of the enzyme CPT-1, which attaches carnitine to fatty acids, allowing them to be absorbed by the mitochondria, the energy generators in cells.

This helps activate the signal molecule AMPK, leading to exhausted AMP molecules to be recharged. the cell also uses this enzyme as a measure of the amount of energy. IF AMPK becomes more active, the cells start to work harder to provide more energy. Fat cells discharge their contents in the blood, muscles absorb more glucose, and burn more fatty acids. Figure below shows curcumin's effect in raising AMPK in fatty tissue:

So basically Curcumin burns fat and is anti-catabolic all in one...

A second study shows that Tumeric and by extension Curcumin(the active ingredient in Tumeric), inhibits the conversion of amino acids into glucose

So this study basically shows how Curcumin prevents amino acids from being turned into glucose, which allows them to build more muscle...
Hank!

Post by Hank! »

Matter have you you look at Borage Oil as a potential treatment of your psoriasis?
matter2003

Post by matter2003 »

Hank! wrote:Matter have you you look at Borage Oil as a potential treatment of your psoriasis?
I have heard some good things about it...truth is psoriasis is caused by a systemic candida infection. I know the cause, but it is very hard to eat properly to get rid of it while training. Getting rid of it will require a long period of eating consistently(no sugars, no dairy, no gluten, etc), which may take several months, as it is very hard to kill the little buggers. I had stuck to an anti-candida diet for about a month before starting the BP and was making some nice progress, including numerous spots that disappeared completely.

My immune system identifies candida as a threat, and attacks it, causing inflammation in the process as a defense mechanism. It cannot get rid of it however, because they are adept at changing their cell membranes constantly, especially when outside their normal environment in the intestines. The reaction on the skin is simply the body finding candida there and initiating an inflammation response as a defense mechanism. Everyone has candida on their skin---most people do not respond with inflammation to it.

Every single one of the natural treatments recommended for psoriasis is either an anti-inflammatory, an anti-fungal, or both. After this BP run, I will probably look into starting a longer anti-candida campaign to eradicate this once and for all...I will be very sad because that means "The formula" is definitely out as it contains sugars these little beasties thrive off of....probably looking at 6 months or so to get right....
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

Try transdermal Curcumin, if oral isn't working fast enough for you...

REASON: The molecular weight is right, meaning it's small enough to transverse the strateum corneum. Consider adding about 6 grams to a base of 6oz 91-99% isopropyl alcohol, with 2oz. or so of D-limonene. The latter is a penetration enhancer, (consituent of citrus peel, usually orange) and imparts a pleasant, citrus scent... unlike DMSO. DMSO is the ultimate p.e., as it'll carry just about ANYTHING w/a molecular weight of up to 500 (sometimes more!) through the skin and into the bloodstream...

It does so, at a cost though..You'll smell like rotten eggs, rolled in old gym socks. Who needs friends though? We're talking gains/injury prevention here!! :)

That's what "Mixelflick" told me, anyway... :):)
matter2003

Post by matter2003 »

RobRegish wrote:Try transdermal Curcumin, if oral isn't working fast enough for you...

REASON: The molecular weight is right, meaning it's small enough to transverse the strateum corneum. Consider adding about 6 grams to a base of 6oz 91-99% isopropyl alcohol, with 2oz. or so of D-limonene. The latter is a penetration enhancer, (consituent of citrus peel, usually orange) and imparts a pleasant, citrus scent... unlike DMSO. DMSO is the ultimate p.e., as it'll carry just about ANYTHING w/a molecular weight of up to 500 (sometimes more!) through the skin and into the bloodstream...

It does so, at a cost though..You'll smell like rotten eggs, rolled in old gym socks. Who needs friends though? We're talking gains/injury prevention here!! :)

I take the life-extension form of it with Bioperine in it to drastically increase absorption...

Marketing... :):):)
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

matter2003 wrote:
RobRegish wrote:Try transdermal Curcumin, if oral isn't working fast enough for you...

I take the life-extension form of it with Bioperine in it to drastically increase absorption...
Marketing, in the case of this compound/active... :):):)
matter2003

Post by matter2003 »

New study is out regarding curcumin stating that it is not anti-catabolic, rather anabolic...

Here is an excerpt from the study...will post rest of study later:

So curcumin's mechanism is not the usual anticatabolic one. The figure above shows how it apparently does work: curcumin boosts the production of the anti-suicide protein XIAP during the R10 phase. As a result suicide enzymes like caspase-3 become less active.

"Curcumin treatment increased muscle XIAP protein levels during reloading above basal levels", the researchers conclude. "This antiapoptotic protein has been recently reported to restrict the apoptotic pathway in skeletal muscle under differentiation. [PLoS ONE 4(3): e5097.] These observations suggest that curcumin may improve muscle recovery and differentiation/regeneration processes."
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

matter2003 wrote:New study is out regarding curcumin stating that it is not anti-catabolic, rather anabolic...

Here is an excerpt from the study...will post rest of study later:

So curcumin's mechanism is not the usual anticatabolic one. The figure above shows how it apparently does work: curcumin boosts the production of the anti-suicide protein XIAP during the R10 phase. As a result suicide enzymes like caspase-3 become less active.

"Curcumin treatment increased muscle XIAP protein levels during reloading above basal levels", the researchers conclude. "This antiapoptotic protein has been recently reported to restrict the apoptotic pathway in skeletal muscle under differentiation. [PLoS ONE 4(3): e5097.] These observations suggest that curcumin may improve muscle recovery and differentiation/regeneration processes."
A. Saw this, GREAT find!!

For what it's worth, AskMass way WAY ahead of the curve on this...pointing it out to me looong ago!!

I see this as an ideal MASS standalone product, for use as a joint support, anabolic etc..!!

John, PLEASE jump on this!! I'll PM you... :)

Thank you matter2003, for your contribution!!
askmass
Site Admin

Post by askmass »

Yep, I hear you Rob.

I have used turmeric in my smoothies forever.

A stand alone could happen, but the market seems a bit flooded with items of unknown quality. Some are no doubt good, others are surely junk grade.

I'll look into it more, promise.

Matter-

Did you get the anti-candida report from us at MASS?

I researched and wrote that... I battled it hard and won, but it took a good six months to reign it in.

If you did not try my version of the AC diet protocol, shoot me a PM and I'll hook you up with a comp copy.

As far as Psoriasis, allow me to VERY HIGHLY recommend vegetable glycerin applied directly to the outbreaks several times daily.

It often works when nothing else will and I can point to dozens of people I've seen have near miracle turn arounds with it over the years.

I would recommend the OTC product called Psoriasin, applied 2-3 times a day in between 2-3 applications of the Glycerin.

Best to you with the candida fight. I have been there and it's a tough one to win long term, but CAN be done with dogged determination and the right information.
RobRegish

Post by RobRegish »

See here, folks..

The Blueprint Army doesn't know surrender!! Too many minds, too much talent to waive the white flag..

Every day that passes brings a new conscript, a new mind and with it... bigger, better arrows to add to The BP's quiver.

Stick around Matter, you ain't seen nothin' yet!!! ... :):):)